IDALIA & MARIALA National Parks, info wanted

Submitted: Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 13:10
ThreadID: 106351 Views:2192 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Folks both of these Parks are situated west of Charleville and according to "camps seven" there is no camping there. We would like to visit them both with our caravan, can anyone help with info please; is there anywhere there we will be able to camp for a couple of days, and what the roads are like; has any members been to any of these parks recently, if so we would like to hear from you.

Regards Ray & Dianne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 14:17

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 14:17
Hi Ray and Dianne,

Have a look in the Places section. Monks Tank in Idalia NP is shown as a designated free camp - see here. Unfortunately there is not much data for Mariala.

Given that western Queensland is a long last getting some rain (and some flooding) it will pay to keep an eye on the weather before you go.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526946

Reply By: Krooznalong - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 14:19

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 14:19
A quick Google search on Idalia found this:

Monks Tank camping area

Campground features: Open bush camping sites in mulga woodlands.

Access: The camping area can be reached in dry conditions by conventional vehicles, 4WD vehicles, camper trailers and caravans. Not suitable for large caravans.

Number of sites: Open area without defined sites.

Campsites are suitable for: tent camping beside your vehicle; camper trailers. Not suitable for large caravans.

Campsite surface: Sand/dirt.

Facilities: Pit toilet.

Open fires: Permitted, except when fire prohibitions or fire bans are in place. Fuel stoves are recommended.

Generators: Not allowed.

Essentials to bring: All food and drinking water, sturdy rubbish bags, insect repellent, sun protection, first aid kit, reliable torch, vehicle spares and sufficient fuel. Read more about things to know before you go.( http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/idalia/about.html#things_to_know_before_you )

Bookings: Book online( http://parks.nprsr.qld.gov.au/permits ), over-the-counter( http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/experiences/over-counter-permits.html ) or by phone( http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/experiences/camping/camping_bookings.html ).

Mobile phone coverage: Unavailable; satellite phone and UHF radio coverage also poor (UHF local channel 24 or channel 6 duplex).
AnswerID: 526947

Reply By: philip t jones - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 16:02

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 16:02
Hi Ray

We went into Idalia a couple of years ago basic camping but we were the only ones there so found it very peacfull there is a couple of walks, it rained while we were there so had an extra couple of nights to enjoy it. The ranger was female and great to talk to with lots of knowlage of the area. The road in was fine but a fair stretchof black soil so doesent need much rain.

Phil
AnswerID: 526955

Follow Up By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 22:24

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 22:24
We were at monks tank Idalia last year in July. Very dry and scrubby and rocky. One drop toilet and enough room for 10 or so campers. You will need to book through the qld national parks site or on site through the female ranger. 42kms of dirt road to get in there and lots of sharp creek crosings.
Wellcamp on the barcoo is the pick of the parks near jundah. Mariala is dry and isolated with all dirt road. Adavale is a great spot to camp on the river.
We started at Diamantina lakes and worked our way back through lockern south of longreach then to wellcamp and then on to Idalia and Idalia was the least interesting.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 809357

Reply By: Member - moparcm - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 09:10

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 09:10
I live on the road to idalia and the road in is good except if there has been rain than it is almost impassable it would be best to check before coming out. idalia does have camp grounds which are suitable for caravans (we have seen some large off-road vans down there) you will need to be self sufficient
AnswerID: 527001

Follow Up By: Ray L4 - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 09:33

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 09:33
many thanks to all who repllied, with the good info. Ray & Dianne
FollowupID: 809370

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 15:54

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 15:54
Instead of using CAW for camping in Qld national parks, go to their web sites - Mariala National Park - Idalia National Park - You will find a link for camping info in the top LH corner of each page. There is some good info on both parks.

The Mariala web site also has a link to a map of the park. You will see the Charleville-Adavale Road passing through it. You will also notice a white square on that road in the park. I suspect that white square is a travelling stock reserve that is outside the control of Qparks. You will most likely be able to camp at Range Tank. If you also download the map for Currawinya you will notice a similar block in it. I know that one to be a TSR, you can camp there with your dog if you have one.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527018

Follow Up By: Ray L4 - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 08:33

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 08:33
Hi Peter, thanks for the extra info we have just been onto both sites, it looks like we will have to give Mariala a miss it says not suitable for caravans, I like the map though wish they did that for all parks

Regards Ray & Dianne
FollowupID: 809414

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:20

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:20
Fay, Mariala National Park itself may not accommodate your van but the area around range Tank would probably be immanently suitable. It would be easier to get to than the camping area at Idalia. See this aerial shot. I don't know if there is a clear track around to the south of the tank but the space there looks fairly clear.

I have used the TSR tanks for morning tea and lunch breaks many times and they mostly have excellent camping spots.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809428

Follow Up By: Ray L4 - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:32

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:32
Thanks Peter,
We will check it out,
Regards Ray and Dianne
FollowupID: 809514

Sponsored Links