Top End sights

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 22:09
ThreadID: 106388 Views:1534 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we’re from Adelaide and just started thinking about doing a trip to the Top End during June / July this year. We did a good trip to the Red Centre before, so do not intend to stop in or around Alice. I would really appreciate it if you good people could tell us what are the main things we should see / must see, north of the Red Centre. We will give ourselves 6 weeks for the trip give or take. thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 22:45

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 22:45
If you are driving up, I think you will need at least a stopover in Alice. It's a fair drive to Coober Pedy, then Alice, before heading further north.
Daly Waters is a unique place to call into for a beer and has an adjacent camping ground if you choose to stop overnight.
Mataranka is another place to stay for a day or two, either on the way up, or on the return journey. A great spot to chill out awhile in the springs, or the camping ground.
Katherine Gorge is worth a look see, so at least a one night stopover there and preferably two if you take a gorge cruise. (and swim at the waterfall)
On our trip to the Top End, we veered to the right and entered Kakadu National Park from the south, then exited from the west back to Darwin. Plenty things to see and do in Darwin.
Also Litchfield National Park is worth a visit, to the south west of Darwin, perhaps on the way back down.
There are many other places to see and experience, and I'm sure other traveler's and locals will give you more "must see" locations as well.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527097

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 00:11

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 00:11
Hi jd

Have a look through My Blogs from 2009. We didn't see it all but we spent some weeks in the area seeing wonderful and amazing places. You are welcome to ask further about anything that appeals.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527102

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 09:51

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 09:51
take some pool noodles to be able to enjoy floating down steam at Bitter Springs in Mataranka. :)
AnswerID: 527113

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 08:59

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 08:59
Jd,

If in Darwin for a few days, check out the aircraft museum. Also, when you're hungry at night, go to Stokes Hill wharf, for a different dining experience.

Mindel Beach markets are worth a look too. Think they're on Sunday and Thursday evenings.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527186

Sponsored Links