Woolsheds in NSW

Submitted: Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 20:59
ThreadID: 106412 Views:3907 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone.
We are not far from heading off on our Trip in April. The second half will involve driving though the middle of NSW towards home in Vic. I did read a Sunday History article on here some time ago about a wool shed that would be intersing to visit? I've done a search but can't seem to find it? We are interested in seeing some history of the country.
If not, what other ideas would you all have for us to visit in country NSW? It doesn't have to be really touristy. We will be going throug Tamworth and Dubbo. We will be fully self sufficient with our 4WD and camper trailer.
Cheers Chriso.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 21:25

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 21:25
There was a "coffee table" book published about 30 years ago called Woolsheds of Australia or similar. Suggest you try to get a hold of that as a reference.
Two woolsheds that I know are in it and will be near where you are travelling are Gostwyck Station, about 10km east of Uralla (20km south of Armidale) and Windy Station (one of AA Company's first stations) south of Quirindi/ west of Willow Tree.

You can drive fairly close to both woolsheds on gazetted road, but of course not right to them. Gostwyck had a Hexagonal board (I think it's now the wool room) which had some phenomenal number of hand shear stands, Windy is just big and impressive.
Gostwyck I am sure is still in use today, Windy hasn't been used for perhaps 20 years.

Haddon Rig out of Warren I think still has a large woolshed, it's been a long time since I was out there though and is a fair way off a gazetted road.
AnswerID: 527168

Follow Up By: nootsa200873 - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 21:48

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 21:48
Thanks Mark. Looks like you are in Tamworth? Is there still a place called "Ag Museum" on the outskirts of town?
FollowupID: 809543

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 01:36

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 01:36
Gostwick is interesting - still a working shed so you can't go in

http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/country-nsw/armidale-area/uralla/attractions/deargee-woolshed

I think they call it a bee-hive shed

Also at Gostwick is the All Saints Church which you can go into - very pretty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gostwyck.JPG

http://www.australianlight.com.au/uploaded/public/4f3caf21307db3.26594823.jpg
FollowupID: 809558

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 07:21

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 07:21
The Ag Museum closed at least 10 years ago when Doug Goddard moved.
Gostwyck near Uralla will be worth looking at if you are comming down the New England in April as there is a magnificent Elm avenue leading to that church which should be going through the autumnal change of colour of the leaves.
I think in the late 1800s that Hexagonal shed had at least 40 stands, you can see the boarded up shutes around the outside of the hexagonal building.
IF you are into shearing sheds, it is a must see!
FollowupID: 809563

Reply By: Member - mick C (NSW) - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 21:39

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 21:39
Nootsa
Shear Outback at Hay could be the woolshed you are after , they have static displays and shearing demonstations at selected times , particulary at holiday times .The vast majority of woolsheds are on private propety and are normally not open to the public , except on places that have farmstays/camping facilities and they may be open at certain times , possibly there could be some in the Darling area where the National Gathering is taking place that are available to inspect by arrangement with the organisers of the Gathering [Sir Kev and Darkie and crew ]
There are books about woolsheds by Andrew Chapman titled " Woolsheds " [2011 ] " The Shearers " [ 2005 ] and " Around The Sheds " [ 2012 ] , Andrew visited our propety in 2011 researching for " Around The Sheds ' and consequently our shed was photographed and one photo made it into the book
Regards Mick C
Poppa Bear

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 527171

Follow Up By: Member - mick C (NSW) - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 22:14

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 22:14
Nootsa
Shear Outback shed at Hay has been restored after being dismantled at Murray Downs [near Swan Hill ] and reassembled at Hay , both free camping and caravan parks are close
I have just put my thinking hat back on , there is also a shed that is open to the public near Balranald at Yanga National Park [Yanga was purchased in last few years and also has a homestead under restoration ] The woolshed has partially been restored and has static displays and is situated on the banks of the Murrumbidgee river and camping sites are available on the river or a caravan park within a few kms
Mick C
Poppa Bear

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809546

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 06:06

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 06:06
Mick, that will be Yanga Woolshed. The wife worked at the homestead back in the 70's as a book keeper.

It has now been taken over by Parks and open to the public, well worth a visit

FollowupID: 809561

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 07:35

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 07:35
There is also the Willandra shed, in the Willandra National Park, north of Hay.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527184

Follow Up By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 09:08

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 09:08
Willandra national park also has a very old and interesting ram shed with a thatched roof... Well worth a look
FollowupID: 809566

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 09:37

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 09:37
There is also the Errowanbang woolshed at Mandurama (near Orange) which has quite a history,

Errowanbang Woolshed

This woolshed was recently featured on Landline a few weeks ago with the Waltzing Matilda story.

Waltzing Matilda story on Landline
AnswerID: 527188

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:47

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:47
Hi Chriso,

There's a woolshed in Kinchega National Park, near Menindee in Western NSW, and another in Mungo National Park a little south east of there. Neither are working sheds and either one or both are worth a visit I reckon. There is also Yanga Woolshed, near (east of) Balranald. There are campgrounds in all of these parks, not far from the woolsheds.
It pays to check road conditions and weather forecasts before you go on the dirt roads.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527226

Sponsored Links