Melbourne to Darwin Trip Feedback

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 18:37
ThreadID: 106625 Views:1813 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

We just drove from Melbourne to Darwin and wanted to share some information to repay some of the great information you've shared with us.

- Melbourne, Adelaide, Coober Pedy, Yulara, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs, Katherine, Kakadu, Darwin, Tennant Creek, Coober Pedy, Blanchetown, Melbourne.
- 10,500kms, 120series Toyota Prado LPG/Petrol, Fuel $2,700
- 15% worse fuel economy having tent on roof rack
- 15% worse fuel economy driving at 130kph instead of 110kph
- 18 days, powered site camping at Big 4 $500
- Highlights in order: Kings Canyon, Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Litchfield NP (80% open), Kakadu (40% open)
- We are bushwalkers and did everything we wanted to in the 18 days and actually arrived home early. If Kakadu was fully open and Lake Eyre had water we would have taken about 7 days longer.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

Take care,

Chris and Jeremy.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 21:48

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 21:48
Feedback
It is good you were able to get away.
I am a bit puzzled as to why you didn't use the extra 7 days.
The slower speed would return better economy, as would having the tent up top, faired in a bit at the front to lessen wind resistance. ie more Porsche than brick.

Averaging 580 km each day would mean a 1000 a day sometimes if walking is also to be done and the many sights also seen and fully appreciated.

I can see how the 130km/h came to be.
I hope your next venture is at a more relaxed pace.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 527999

Follow Up By: ChristaJezz - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:38

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:38
G'day Ross,

Funny thing was we were relaxed. We were surprised ourselves at how quickly we moved. I'm a test driver and usually spend 8 to 10 hours in a car anyway so driving time was not an issue for us. We are not what you would call sight seer's anyway and prefer to keep active so it was a good pace for us and we get to spend some down time at home before heading back to work.

Driving speed was dictated by the next stop, where we had time to set up camp etc. we backed off the pace.

Had a ball and would head back to the Red Centre in a heartbeat.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
FollowupID: 810456

Reply By: wato35 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:48

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:48
Hi
Thanks for that, 3 mates and myself are heading north in 4 weeks time (planning to take 3 days to get there).
Was there anything that we need to bypass, best and worst fuel spots etc.
Anything that may be heplful.
Thanks
Wato
AnswerID: 528088

Follow Up By: ChristaJezz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 19:09

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 19:09
G'day Wato,

Really depends on what you want to do. As you'd expect fuel outside big towns is damn expensive so if you can stretch it fill up in the big towns.

We didn't have any issues that would warrant bypassing anything.

Have a great trip.

Jezz.
FollowupID: 810559

Sponsored Links