Travel plans for April

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 21:48
ThreadID: 106630 Views:1826 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Taking all of April (this year) off & taking the family on a bit of a trip. Just thought I'd run a bit of an itinerary by you all to get some suggestions. We have travelled a bit but nothing this big/for as long. We will be reasonably self-sufficient with batteries, fridge, solar etc. & plan to stay at a few powered sites along the way. I'll have the wife, a 4 year old girl & a 2year old boy. We'll be in a 2012 Troopy & towing a Jayco Outback Eagle.
So, here it is, please advise if there are some better options along the way.

Sunshine Coast (QLD) to Moura
Moura to Barcaldine
Barcaldine to Longreach
Longreach to Boulia
Boulia to Jervois
Jervois to Alice Springs
Alice to Yulara/Uluru
Uluru/Yulara to Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon to Alice Springs
Alice Springs to Tennant Creek
Tennant Creek to Top Springs
Top Springs to Lake Argyle
Lake Argyle to Katherine
Katherine to Darwin
Darwin to Kakadu
Kakadu to Katherine
Katherine to 3 ways
3 ways to Camooweal/Mt Isa
Camooweal/Mt Isa to McKinlay
McKinlay to Hughenden
Hughenden to Townsville
Townsville to Mackay
Mackay to Hervey Bay
Hervey Bay to Sunshine Coast

Now, we know there’s a lot in there but if the roads in Kakadu are closed we will skip going there & up to Darwin altogether & if we think we need to make up time we can ditch heading to Lake Argyle (just thought seeing we are so close to WA why not rip across the border).

The kids are good travellers & at the end of the day, if they are having a bad day we can pull up & set up camp. If we run short on time we can just come back early.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Stef
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 22:25

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 22:25
you'll be pushing it to do all that in 4 weeks, not saying it can't be done, but we did Brisbane to Darwin via Normanton, Lawn Hill, Lorella Springs, Katherine, Litchfield and back home again via Kakadu in a 5 week trip, and it was very rushed.
work out exactly where you are planning to drive at the moment and the klms you expect to do, now divide that by the number of days you'll have for the trip and you might be surprised how far you need to cover klm wise each day for the trip to happen.
AnswerID: 528000

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 07:50

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 07:50
Hi Stef,

Thats quite a big trip to fit into one month, especially travelling with young children. In April it could still be quite warm too, and possibly damp depending on what these current cyclones do. As you say, you can skip sections if the need arises, which seems like a good plan because there is a lot to see along your proposed route. Around Alice Springs you will need several days, as there is much more to see than Uluru and Kings Canyon. The east and west MacDonnell Ranges are beautiful, so allow plenty of time to explore both those areas. Remember that "nipping across the border" involves going through a quarantine check where you will have to ditch most fresh fruit and veges, honey etc. You should be able to find a few bush camps along the way too.
Take your time, enjoy the journey, dont worry too much about the destination and you will have a good time. Some of our blogs (from 2001,02, 06,08,12) cover most of your route so you might find some tips in them
Cheers,
Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528010

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:05

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:05
Hi Stef

As others have said - sounds like a loooong way in a month. Destinations look good...unless you really need to stop at McKinlay, it's probably the only place on the list that I'd not bother. There is really nothing there apart from the Walkabout Hotel. To say its disappointing would be an understatement! Lots of water out that way at present, and a couple of more cyclones on the way - so make sure you check the road conditions before you go.

Cheers

Chris
AnswerID: 528011

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:14

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:14
Hell man...that is a shedule that a long distance truckie would think twice about.

The stop in Hervey Bay puzzles me.....you can go there any week end from the Sunshine Coast and its out the way.

You are probalby trying to keep the legs reasonabl short.....but when you spend more time setting up and pulling down camp than you do driving...there is an issue.

cheers
AnswerID: 528018

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:26

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:26
Stef,

Re your plans for travel over the Plenty.

Spoke to a friend yesterday who lives near Boulia, and he said the Georgina River is currently 1.5 metres over the bridge. With some water still to come, and only 3 weeks till your departure, it may be handy to have a Plan B, or perhaps do some of your trip in reverse.

Hope the Plenty is open for you as it's a great drive.

We are tagging along, to Darwin and the Kimberly, with one of our kids in June, and we'll be doing 8K clicks in 3 weeks. Think we'll be very busy!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528020

Reply By: KevinE - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:51

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:51
Hi Stef,

You're obviously going to get replies based on the respondent's own circumstances & they will not necessarily be the same as yours. A lot of people are no longer working & have heaps of time on their hands, whereas some of us still working like to squeeze as much as we can into the time available.

I like travelling large distances in short time frames to cover as much as I can in the time I have available & it sounds like you do too?

For me though, the deal breaker on your suggested itinerary is the Duncan/Buchanan from Dunmarra to Lake Argyle. If the roads are dry & I doubt they will be in April, this stretch is a big trip all on it's own.

I really like the rest of it though & I reckon you'd have more than enough in it to fill a sensational holiday with fun times & great memories.

Cheers,

Kevin :=)
AnswerID: 528021

Reply By: Member - TowBall - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:26

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:26
Hi Stefandsal - I would make that "Plan A" but you will need to be flexible. There will be stuff you wont be able to drag yourself away from & will want to stay an extra night, just to see that extra attraction that may be booked out the day you are there. Our motto is - "see everything while you are there, as you may never pass this way again"
AnswerID: 528026

Reply By: craigandej - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 15:38

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 15:38
Sounds great. We did Cape York last year with our 3 and 2 year olds in our troopy.
This year a similar trip to yours for 6 weeks. We usually punch out 2 big days at the start, as the close to home sights can be done anytime. Usually leave at around 3am first day, kids are sooo excited to be on the road. Use your itinerary as a rough guide, some places will attract your time more than others.

Enjoy.

AnswerID: 528038

Reply By: Geoff H18 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 16:15

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 16:15
Hi Stef
Good on you for having a go.Don't beat yourself up if you don't keep to the plan.

Lock all possessions in Alice
AnswerID: 528114

Sponsored Links