Dual cab canopies

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 20:40
ThreadID: 106643 Views:5564 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I,ve just driven a Ranger XLT Auto very nice adds and take aways are being done tonight and they,ll come back with a deal in the morning they are quoting on a bull bar and canopy I,m aware of rough outside prices so if there not in the ball park I,ll do later
My Questions are
1. Sliding windows or lift up,s which are better
2. is there another brand out there equal to flexiglass (appears to be the main brand used)

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 20:59

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 20:59
1. I have found lift up windows to be much more practical than sliding.
2. Equal to Flexiglass? If you look around, you will find the most popular brand around is ARB so they must be as good, or better.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528059

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 21:10

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 21:10
G'day new boy

I'm with Sand Man on the lift up windows - far more practical !

All and any other info you need including prices people paid can be found on Newranger.net - forums

I have an XLT auto and reckon it's a great vehicle !

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 528061

Reply By: Albany Nomads - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 21:36

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 21:36
I have found lift windows to be best but sliders are handy if you have a dog BUT now you can get best of both worlds with tilt windows with built in sliders
AnswerID: 528064

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:19

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:19
Lift up windows are for cargo access. Sliding windows are for ventilation. Choose your application.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810526

Reply By: Phil P - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 21:48

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 21:48
I selected lift up as that was what most people recommended and I'm happy with that decision.

Lots of choices with canopies. I decided on a steel canopy from Opposite Lock (SMM or Razorback). I liked the construction and the way it closes on the tailgate.

It also is connected to the central locking of the doors, very handy!

AnswerID: 528067

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 06:15

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 06:15
Our canopy ordered with the BT 50 is made by EGR http://www.egrauto.com/category/filter?category=canopies
which is the brand used by Mazda. We have the one with load carrying capacity of 150 kgs so we can carry the tinny and our boat loader.

Also we opted for lift up windows for easy access and so far love it. We had a canopy vent made by ARB put in at the front driver side to help minimise dust but haven't really been off road to test it out too much yet.
regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528078

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 07:41

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 07:41
Hi Heather,

Through experience, I can vouch for the effectiveness of the vent. I installed mine at the front, middle of the canopy.
Our canopy space is not sealed, but with the vent open, virtually nil dust present inside the canopy area. Just a little along the bottom edge of the tailgate which is easily swept out. They definitely work.

You just need to remember to open the vent for it to be effective:-)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 810518

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:22

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:22
If you need load carrying on the top this is the way to go. Very few others will support ladder bars or a basket. If you want bars on the top they all offer internal supports to carry the load but these supports coast a fair bit.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810527

Reply By: pepper2 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:24

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:24
i had a new triton dual cab with fiberglass canopy ,it had only a centrally located locking handle in the rear glass window ,it would never lock both sides of the glass and it used to come open when driving.
Mitsubishi changed the canopy twice it never worked properly,i think there is too much flex to not have locking handles at each side.
AnswerID: 528093

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:58

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:58
My last vehicle (Colorado) had a flexiglass canopy with trade racks (internal support). My current vehicle 2013 ranger twin cab has the ARB textured canopy with trade racks. I do not think I would be exaggerating if I said the ARB canopy is at least twice as good as the flexiglass.
You get what you pay for with canopies.
As mentioned, sliding windows are for ventilation and that's about it. Lift up windows are mandatory for any tourers over 25 years old whose knees don't like crawling around inside utes.
AnswerID: 528103

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:00

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:00
Sorry, I should have mentioned at $3k for the ARB canopy they are very much a middle of the road item - still 3 bloody thousand though..... The high end ones have central locking, hooked to the alarm system etc etc.
FollowupID: 810539

Reply By: new boy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:16

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:16
Thanks everyone for your reply's. I live in regional w.a. centre and the undermentioned are some prices got today
Ford $3950
ARB
Grain finish with racks $3991
Smooth finish with Racks $4222

Independent 4wd centre
Flexiglass Perth fitted $2642
Bull bars prices are also wide spread
These things are sent to test us
I,m waiting on the deal now as I,m trading a 1973 MGB which has thrown them into a spin
AnswerID: 528121

Reply By: 4wheeler - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:14

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:14
Having had 4 dual cab 4x4 with canopies lift up side windows are the way to go as it gives way better access to the side and front of the canopy. I don't bother with any other manufacturer other than ARB. I have never had an issue with the canopies and while they don'y have centrallocking and all that other stuff that suits me fine. There is enough electronics on these new vehilces to give you grief without adding to it.

Itmight have been poined out prevously, but both Ford and Mazda have relatively light weight materials which make up the ute body and many have cracked. This is especially the case if racks are fitted. My 2012 BT 50 canopy has full support which spreadsloadacross the top and down the sides of the ute body should reduce the likelyhood of cracking. I hace a smooth canopy which matches the look of the vehicleand is easy to clean. It will show scratches more than a grained canopy.

I have the ARB bull bar which is very nicely made and well finished. The ARB gear probably costs a bit more but I am confident in the equipment.
AnswerID: 528137

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 13:56

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 13:56
I have an Alpha canopy (Caddy). When I was looking, this was the cheapest fitted, it is also better than the the Flexi and ARB ones I looked at.

http://www.utecanopies.com.au/ranger_px_dualcab.html

I had sliding windows, but it depends on what you want, you could always have the drivers side a slider and the passenger side a lift up
AnswerID: 528185

Reply By: Hilux fan - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 16:00

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 16:00
I bought a 2006 Hilux second hand which came with a Flexiglass canopy with lift up windows. I can't get the damn thing sealed against water. The seals around the window frames were crap. I resealed using silicone but water still comes in around the edge of the window and down into the tub. Also, if you have the windows open when it is raining, all the runoff runs into the tub. Not a great design.
AnswerID: 528192

Sponsored Links