8 week trip in July, Melbourne, up the centre, down the East Coast

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:23
ThreadID: 106655 Views:1788 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

We are in in midst of planning our family trip in July with our 2 boys aged 10 and 15, And would like to get some ideas of what we should go and see and get any recomendations or alternatives from people that are much more experienced than we are as it is our first trip.

We have a turbo landcruiser 100 series and a complete campsite camper and plan to do the following route leaving on the 1st of July:

Melbourne to Portland (2days)
Staying at Henty Beach caravan park

Portland to Murray Bridge (2days)
staying at Avoca Dell caravan park
-Narracoote Caves

(Option Portland - Goolwa)
-Young Husband Penninsula
-Coorong National Park

Murray Bridge-Adelaide (2days)
-Barrossa region

Adelaide -Port Augusta (2days)
Staying at Port Augusta Big4 caravan park

Port Augusta - Flinders Ranges (5days)
-Lake Eyre
-Lee Creek

Flinders Ranges - Coward Springs (1days)

Coward Springs - Cooper Pedy (2days)

Cooper Pedy - (Stuart Highway) Uluru, Kings Canyon, Yulura, McDonnel Ranges (7days)

Uluru - Alice Springs (2days)

Alice Springs - Tenant Creek (1days)

Tenant Creek - Mt Isa (2days)

Mt Isa - Julia Creek-Townsville (3days)
-Charters Towers
-Hughenden

Townsville - Bowen (2- 3 days)
- Airlie Beach
- Whitsundays

Airlie Beach - Yeppoon - Hervey Bay - Fraser Island (7days)

Fraser Island - Tin Can Bay (2days)

Tin Can Bay - Gold Coast (2days)
- theme parks

Gold Coast - Byron Bay (2-3days)

Byron Bay - Sydney (7days)

Sydney - Home

Im going of the bosses itinerary but any assistance and ideas would be appreciated. Cant wait to blog this adventure and looking forward to many more.

Cheers,

George&Mel

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 13:25

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 13:25
G'day, would miss Portland, get as far North as you can, as quick as you can, lol. Portland can be done any time.

I would go, Melbourne to Renmark, over night stay, Renmark to Port Agusta, maybe a two night stay, then head North, Coober Peddy, etc etc, can still be bloody cold in July. A lot of the places on the way to Alice can be visited when it is a tad warmer and more enjoyable, and is very "doable" from Melbourne. Spend as much time as you can North of Alice, take your time and enjoy. Just my two cents worth.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528106

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 13:49

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 13:49
Geroge & Mel
Consider a detour at "The Breakaways" 20km north of Coober Pedy, short trip east onto the Painted Desert (Arkaringa Station) for the night, onto Oodnadatta & Dalhousie Springs/Mt Dare for the next night, then onto Finke and Lambert's Centre (Geographic centre of Australia) before rejoining the Stuart Highway at Kulgera

The highlights of this probable 1 1/2 day /400km diversion from going straight up the Stuart Highway are the amazing landscapes at The Breakaways and Painted Desert, seeing Dalhousie Springs, Lamberts Centre and I guess for some Ooodnadatta Roadhouse

Looks a fantastic trip with plenty of multi night stops

IF you wanted to avoid some bitumen you could go from Alice to Mt Isa via the Plenty Highway. You have the right set up for being off bitumen

Mark
AnswerID: 528107

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:14

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:14
Hi George & Mel

If you have the time - you easily spend some time around the Cooloola area. Double Island point, and the coloured sands are brilliant. Your touring rig & camper would be great for that trip. You can actually head down the beach from Fraser Island -> Rainbow Beach -> Noosa the scenic way along the beach...just get the tides right, and you won't regret it!

Grab a look at the wrecks from people trying to get around the rocks at Rainbow Beach at the pub. Which incidentally was renovated a few years back, and is a great place for a steak.

Cheers

Chris
AnswerID: 528136

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 21:51

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 21:51
Heading east from Tennant Creek (go and have a look around the old OTL repeater station there) have a stopover at the freecamp at Camooweal, then do a detour north past the Riversleigh fossil site and on to Lawn Hill for a fabulous paddle up the Gorge. Heading from there towards Mt Isa have another stopover beside the river at Gregory Downs.

Sounds like a great trip.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528147

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 21:56

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 21:56
Meant to add that I agree with the idea of getting a bit north - say to Port Augusta as quickly as you can. You can do places near where you live anytime. Make the most of your trip by exploring places that are further from home. Spend a bit of time in the Flinders Ranges, go in to Farina and spend a night or two in the great little campground there, and check out the mound springs along the Oodnadatta Track.

Cheers,
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 810581

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 22:38

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 22:38
great minds must think a like...i was going to suggest to go to Lawn Hill myself seeing they are so close to it. i always wondered why so many people raved about the place, then i went there myself and understood why...make the detour, you won't be disappointed
will also second the stop over at Farina aswell
FollowupID: 810589

Sponsored Links