Kimberley Options?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 16:59
ThreadID: 106658 Views:2058 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

We are planning a Kimberley later in the year and were thinking of doing a loop starting from Broome and ending back in Broome. We'd like to head out the Gibb River Rd (Derby, Mitchell Falls, Home Valley, El Questro etc) and continue down the black top via the Bungle Bungle's, Halls Creek etc - and head back to Broome that way.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas about the length of time we should allow for a leisurely trip?

Cheers

Chris

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:17

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:17
Hi Chris,

We are doing a similar trip starting in Derby, leave van , GRR with slide on camper, and back to Derby via the bitumen, then back to Kununurra, Wyndham.

About 4 weeks to travel the GRR and be back in Derby.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 528119

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:49

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:49
Hi Pop

Thanks - I was thinking about three weeks for the loop - but may need to revise travel times...I really don't want to rush too much.

Cheers

Chris
FollowupID: 810551

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:27

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:27
Planning a 7 week trip, Melb to Melb for next year. Giving us 5 weeks in the Kimberley
AnswerID: 528120

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:53

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 17:53
G'day Michael - sound like the first part will be a looong trip. That's the part I hate...all the bitumen there and back!

Thanks for the advice.

Chris
FollowupID: 810552

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:24

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:24
Hi Chris,
I would allow 5 weeks to do the loop. That will give you enough time to rest up now and again at a place you like.
Did it 2 years ago and took 6 weeks and was not rushed. Walked all the gorges and went to all the stations along the way.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528122

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 17:01

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 17:01
Chris,

What Andy said!

Cheers,
CJ
FollowupID: 810638

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:38

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:38
Hi Chris,

I have planned a Kimberley Trip for May/June.
Total length of trip Adelaide to Adelaide return is 38 days.

For the Kimberley itself, we are travelling from Kununurra, via the GRR to Cape Leveque (North of Broome), then back via the bitumen to Kununurra with a planned timeframe for this loop of 20 days.
This allows 2 nights at El Questro, 3 nights at Drysdale River Station, Bell Gorge, 2 nights at Windjana Gorge, 2 nights at Derby, Broome, 4 nights Middle Lagoon, Broome, Fitzroy Crossing, 3 nights at Purnalulu NP, then back to Kununurra.

Would have liked longer of course but we have to be back in Adelaide for the imminent arrival of our first Grandchild and herself absolutely, must, needs, demands, to be back in time for the birth. (Our Son and DIL)
Me, well I will see the little tacker as soon as I can but my timeframe is a little bit more flexible and relaxed. (Dare I say it but all babies are ugly at birth. shhhh!)
Might have to shove the old girl in the plane along the way somewhere, if nature expedites matters more quickly:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528123

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:52

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:52
Hey Bill,

Can't help with your situation but can lend a sympathetic ear.

Had to cut the last trip short for much the same reason, sixth addition to the grandy stable rather than the first but same outcome.
Better not to fight it mate, just go with the flow.
You reckon a scrub bull can get a bit cantankerous, you don't want to be around a denied granny...lol

Cheers and congrats
Pop
FollowupID: 810555

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 19:07

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 19:07
Ha Ha,

Hard to argue with your logic at all Pop.

I guess that's the difference between us who come from Mars and those darlings that come from Venus.

Yeah, I'll just go with the flow, but the trip back from Kununurra to Adelaide just can't be rushed too much.
I'm not leaving the rig and camper behind somewhere to jump on a plane, but am quite prepared to facilitate my wife doing so, if the wee one wants to come into the world before the due date.

Did consider leaving the trip until after the birth, but herself wouldn't entertain that idea, as she would be too far from her "new brood" at this important time:-)

Actually I am really looking forward to both the Kimberley Trip and being a Grandad shortly thereafter.
What more can a person ask for:-)

Thanks for the reply mate.

Bill

FollowupID: 810558

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 03:08

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 03:08
That's classic, us Grandparents are right there with you....I have four and SHMBO absolutely forbad us being anywhere other than where they were being born and at least 3 weeks before the due date.

She was almost apoplectic when both daughters were pregnant at the same time and had kids about a week apart AND one in country NSW and the other in Melbourne (and we live in Brisbane).

Oh the pain of it all, where should we be, who's going to pop first

They are gorgeous kids now but I agree at birth........all look the same....shhhh
FollowupID: 810689

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:53

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 18:53
We did the loop in 2011. Left Kununurra and did the black top to Broome and returned via the Gibb. Left Kununurra on the 16 June and returned on the 12 August. So almost 8 weeks. We did all of the tracks off the Gibb, including Kalumburu. Plus 7 days up the Dampier Peninsular and the overnight Horizontal Water Falls trip from Derby. Even allowing 8 weeks we felt we were still a bit rushed! But we did do a lot. That is just our experience. Brilliant place up there. Kevin
AnswerID: 528124

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:08

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:08
".....all the tracks off the Gibb......."???
I doubt it.
6 trips to the Kimberley so far for periods of 4 weeks to over 2 months (just in the Kimberley, not including getting there and back) and we have not managed that yet.

The Kimberley is possibly the most spectacular area in Australia and the most difficult to see.
I can not imagine allowing too much time.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 810564

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:08

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 19:08
Well I stand corrected. You must have been following us.
On the Gibb we did just over 3,000 k/m, so I think we did most of it. The Gibb road is only about 640 k/m long from memory. I know off the tracks/roads there are other places you can go, so maybe that is what you mean. But each to their own opinion. I will not get into an argument about it, I was just trying to assist with the original question. Kevin
FollowupID: 810647

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:08

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:08
Hi All

Many thanks for all the replies...I think now is a good time to go - particularly as our kids (in their 20's) are still children free, and even the grandparents are still healthy ! If we have to come home for a birth it will be a surprise to a lot of people :)

We may have to extend our time a little....

Safe travels all!

Chris
AnswerID: 528135

Reply By: LJME & LMG - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 21:26

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 21:26
We did the same loop last year in the other direction.Lake Argyle 3 days -Kununurra 2 days - Purnululu 4 days - Fitzroy Crossing 2 days- Windjana Gorge/Tunnel Creek 4 days + relaxing - Derby/Horizontal Falls trip 2 days - Broome 3 days - Dampier Peninsula 8 days - Broome 2 days - Derby 2 days. Then we travelled back towards Kununurra along the GRR,which took a month. We spent almost a week at Mornington Wilderness Camp which was a highlight. 3 months from Melbourne start to finish would have been fine - we chose to travel back via Queensland which took an extra couple of weeks. You don't mention whether you plan to visit the Dampier Peninsula but if so I would recommend to allow 2 to 3 months for the entire trip and you will have plenty of flexibility. There are many places to see off the GRR and our philosophy is that you never know if you come that way again!
Cheers
L&M
AnswerID: 528145

Reply By: kgarn - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 22:19

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 22:19
Hi All,

I'm also planning a GRR trip year.

Does anyone have any ideas about whether it is best to travel east to west (ie Kununurra to Derby) or the reverse direction (west to east)

Does it make any difference and why?

regards,
Ken
AnswerID: 528149

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 23:42

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 23:42
Hi Ken,

No difference the bumps on this side of the road are the same on the other side.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810600

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 07:45

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 07:45
Ken,

That is my "plan B". As we are planning our trip just after the wet is supposed to end. Depends if the GRR is open.
If the Gibb is still a bit damp, or the Pentacost River is a little too high when we make the relevant inquiry at Kununurra, we will travel down the bitumen to Purnululu, Broome, etc., first. (ie reverse the direction) hoping that an extra couple of weeks might do the trick.
Would hate to miss the GRR.
Bill

FollowupID: 810607

Reply By: Member - ROADKING - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 02:13

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2014 at 02:13
Hi Chris
Did the Kimberly last year from Townsville with the Quantum in tow, took 5 weeks but no where near enough .
We did all the gorges plus up to Mitchell Falls and Kalumbru as well as Ellendale station and 5 weeks was just enough to get a taste of what was on offer.
Knowing what I know now I would have given El Questro and Home Valley a miss, nice to say youve been there but expensive but I would rather spend that time at some of the other attractions the area has to offer.
5 weeks was good for a overview but we will go back and spend longer through that area
as there is just so much to see.
Regards Jim

AnswerID: 528163

Reply By: Mark T6 - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 03:14

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 03:14
Doing the Kimberley in 2015 (going elsewhere with the van in 2014)....planning on taking the Van to Fitzroy Crossing and leaving it there and camping to do the Gorges etc....pretty sure the van I have would handle the GRR but the bride is a bit worried about dust etc so this is another way of doing it.

Just in the planning stages now, and as I am retired time isn't a great issue so I'd say spend as much as you can afford up there because by golly there seems to be a lot to do / see.

We just touched on the region last year after doing a Canning Stock Route trek from south to north. just made me want to see MUCH more
AnswerID: 528234

Sponsored Links