Camping /Park Bookings

Submitted: Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:36
ThreadID: 10668 Views:2173 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Can anyone tell me if it is necessary to book caravan parks in July in Qld and NT. We are leaving from Dubbo on 26th June and going up through Bourke,Charleville Longreacg Cloncurry to Karumba and then back down to Mt Isa, Up through Cape Crwfrod to Darwin staying there for 6-7 days andthen going Coober Pedy and Broken Hill . Be away about 5weeks or so. We have got some conflicting reports and need to know if we need to make bookings especially in Darwin Alice Karumba etc.
Have been told that if we do not book now we will not get into any parks. Any advice would be appreciated.
There may be 4-5 families travelling together at times.
Thanks for your help.
Any other advice or hiunts would be appreciated too as this is our first trip. We have a 94 Landcruiser and Small Cub camper trailer.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jimw - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:02

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:02
Hi Jim here booking caravan parks is a must in the gulf most other places in western Queensland are easy if you get there before about 4pm as thats when most roll up. the road from Barkley homestead to cape crawford is hard top and not bad but from heartbreak hotel to Roper river bar is rough in places i have just returned via Roper river bar very good camping spots in that area
Regards Jim
AnswerID: 47432

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:35

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:35
Hi Nev e, I would definately book for Krumba Point. We had a heck of a time getting in during May.
Not that many parks in Darwin so it would pay to make a few phone calls, especially if there's a few of you
cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 47437

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 18:06

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 18:06
We were up there last year, definatly book. On the way home we stayed in Charleville but didn't book so had to go to motel & got last 2 rooms (lucky).Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 47460

Reply By: Nomad - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 22:31

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 22:31
Nev

Yes, Yes, Yes. Definitely book. We're going up to Karumba in Sept/Oct and have already booked. Your talking about peak times and they get very busy in the areas your going.

Remember driving to Longreach some years ago, one day from Brissie, and we got lucky. Got he last on-site van available in town. Nothing else except maybe motels.

Most places have e-mails, if not ring 'em up.

Cheers, and have fun.
AnswerID: 47479

Reply By: DenisL - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:42

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:42
Why Karumba,
If you don't have a boat it is a waste of time. Nearly impossible to fish from shore. Absolutely nothing for women(if they dont fish). The parks are chockers with ablution blocks full. The place is a dead end so you have to retrace your steps. Don't be lured by the "gulf experience"
AnswerID: 47504

Reply By: Meggs - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 22:03

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 22:03
Nev e destination parks eg ones that southerners go for the while of winter you will have to book the intermediate parks no. If you are there by 3pm you won;t have any trouble. Karumba is a strange place. Last year we booked for two weeks in may at Karumba Point and stayed there and then shifted to the Sunset park near the water front. There was plenty of spots at both parks in the middle of May as there were many bookings but due to the poor fishing there were a lot who left before their time was up. I did hear that they weren't taking bookings for less than 6 weeks at Sunset due to the cancellations but I cant' confirm this. Be flexible ring up when you are at Cloncurry and if there is no vacancy don't go but I would be surprised if you didn't get a spot as there are three parks. I think you would struggle to get 4 - 5 families into the Karumba Point parks but you might be lucky at the town one which from the outside looks the best but is not in the best fishing spot.
Karumba is worth going to for a three or four days if you don't have a boat but you will be bored after that.
AnswerID: 47545

Sponsored Links