Bypass Sydney

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 17:09
ThreadID: 106684 Views:2585 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning to bypass Sydney . Travelling from the Mid Nth Coast NSW to Melbourne --leaving Pacific H'Way At Maitland travelling via Singleton, Sandy Hollow, Denman, Wellington, Cudal, Molong, Coonawindra, Booralong, join Hume H'Way at Yass . Anyone done this ? Any comments ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 17:35

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 17:35
Yep, you can do that. There is a shortcut??? through Bylong and the Bylong Valley Way to Bathurst, oberon Black Springs to Goulburn. Bitumen all the way. Scenic. Depends on how much time you have.

You could also head out from Wellington to Parkes all bitumen now, and through Forbes along the Newell to Tocumwal and Shepparton.
AnswerID: 528261

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 19:13

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 19:13
Ian, it would not be quicker, probably an hour longer for you to go that way. However the route you mention is a good road.
When we have to go to Canberra, it's unfortunately quicker to go via Maitland thenSydney with the M7 rather than the 15km shorter inland route for us via Wellington, Cudal, Canowindra, Cowra & Boroowa. The 100km freeways make such a difference.

The inland route is more picturesque though.
Personally I find the Newell a nightmare

Mark

FollowupID: 810753

Follow Up By: Ian W14 - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:45

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:45
thanks guys -have changed plans ----due to time factor ,have decided to go down via Motorways & back via bypass
No bruce we are not part of that group -we are taking part in Ironman Melbourne
FollowupID: 810817

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:02

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:02
Its a nice run through the Bylong Valley, then Rylstone and Bathurst. You have options after that - we go to Cowra then Boorowa and pick up the Hume at Bowning. Its all sealed and quite a good run. Although getting through Sydney is much easier now - once you get onto the M7 is a good easy run through to the Hume at Liverpool, especially if you can avoid peak hours.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528263

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:03

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:03
Hi Ian,

The Bylong Valley is a very scenic route and I guess it would be much of a muchness whether you headed for the Hume or headed for the Newell if Melbourne is your destination. I haven't calculated the different mileage.

The worst part of the run through Sydney is from the end of the F3 to the begining of the M2. Not all that far really, probably about 8 kilometres, and once on those motorways it is plain sailing right past Sydney. Mind you there is the toll hassle if you do not have an electronic pass.

By the way Ian you wouldn't be doing the Great Ocean Road trip in company with 2 other vans would you,??. An acquaintance is about to do that trip with 2 others, leaving from The Rocks. Perhaps you are one of the group. If so hope you have a wonderful time of it. I know you will enjoy the scenery, that is for sure.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528264

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 19:25

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 19:25
Do you want to bypass Sydney cause you don't like the idea of traffic ?..or do you want to see a bit of country side ??

If you want to get to Melbourne in the shortest time, then straight thru Sydney is the go..

The only bad bit is Pennant Hills rd....15 mins of normal city traffic, then all the rest is freeway.....so pretty painless to go thru Sydney..

Nice scenery the other way, but if I had to go to Melbourne, I'd rather cruise along the freeway ( especially if towing )..

But if I had 3 days to wander down, then the other way would be the pick..( nice camp spots along the way as well )
AnswerID: 528273

Reply By: Hoyks - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 01:59

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 01:59
If this Route link works, I did this run from Newcastle and stopped in Wagga. It was a very long day, so I'd break it up with a night in Cowra. The 1st bit on the Putty Rd is a bit slow, but the rest of the drive is on good rural roads at 100.

Getting to Wagga and then cutting straight south will shave a bit off the drive, unless you have a pressing reason to go to Yass.

AnswerID: 528286

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:34

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:34
OK, that didn't work.

I went Maitland, down the Putty Rd to Lithgow.
From there Bathurst, Cowra, Cootamundra, Junee, Wagga Wagga.

A few weeks later Wagga, The Rock, Albury and on to Melbourne.

The Hume highway from the Wagga turnoff to Holbrook used to be rubbish, so we avoided it. Hopefully it has been upgraded by now.
FollowupID: 810816

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 21:20

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 21:20
Its freeway from Sydney all the way to melbourne along the Hume now.
FollowupID: 810873

Reply By: Ian W14 - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:49

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:49
Thanks guys -have changed plans ----due to time facctors we are going down via motorways & back via bypass
No Bruce we are not part of that group -We are participating in Ironman Melbourne
AnswerID: 528306

Sponsored Links