Who does roadside assist?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 17:41
ThreadID: 106686 Views:2309 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everybody,

I've done a search, but couldn't really find a straight answer. We are about to go on the road for a month. What I want is some sort of roadside assist if needed. We will be traveling though country NSW and Victoria. I'm all good for general insurance, but if we have a unnecessary breakdown, I'd like to be able to get my family and our car to safety? We are fully insured through Shannon's, and they don't do this sort of thing from what I'm told.
Any thoughts?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 17:48

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 17:48
RACQ Ultra Care...or whatever the best coverage is from your state motoring body. Also covers the trailer, accommodation, and towing home! I reckon it's peace of mind...

AnswerID: 528262

Follow Up By: troopmaster96 - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:24

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:24
I totally agree with Chris, last trip I went on our convoy had 2 issues with vehicles, one of the was terminal.
In our case, the RAA, picked up the Vehicle from William Creek along with the Driver, took them to Coober Pedy and put the Driver in Accomadation overnight before flying him home the next afternoon, (car was terminal).
Your local state Automobile Assoc is the best in my eyes, plus, I'm pretty sure here in Adel, the RAA are roadside assist for many car manufacturers.
FollowupID: 810748

Follow Up By: Tate1984 - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:44

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:44
Don't just default for your state motoring body. I live in NSW and NRMA are very expensive compared to RACV.

NRMA Premium care costs $188 odd p/a and covers just me and one car. If you want a second car then you pay full price again.

RACV Total care is $210 and covers any car I drive and anyone who drives my car. So I joined as a member and added my wife's car as the listed vehicle. Now we both effectively have full cover.

I read the full PDS from RACV and no where does it mention you need to be a resident of Victoria.

You miss out on $10 free fuel and other minor benefits but the major stuff is covered no matter where you break down.
FollowupID: 810750

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 06:19

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 06:19
Had never really thought about doing that Tate. As you say, NRMA is expensive. If they accepted your name and address from NSW then I guess there is not a problem becoming a member. Thanks for the tip. Bob.
FollowupID: 810793

Follow Up By: Member - kjd - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 08:38

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 08:38
I live in NSW and am currently a member of NRMA with their top level of roadside assist. It does sound like RACV offer a better deal. To that end, I phoned them (RACV) and they stated that I have to reside in the State of Victoria to qualify for their Totalcare service. They further stated that if a Victorian resident moves to a NSW address they will cover that member until the renewal date of the service and he or she will then have to transfer to NRMA or some other roadside assist supplier.

This information seems to be at odds with what you were told Tate. However, if you are right then I and no doubt others will consider changing to RACV. It seems to me that NRMA have had it all their way for far too long. Regards Kevin
FollowupID: 810798

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 09:27

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 09:27
Be aware that if you take out basic NRMA cover their policy only allows a max weight of 2500kgs (the operator may actually carry more). Their premium cover does increase the weight limit to 3500kgs.

For basic cover on my everyday car I am using my Alliance insurance free cover - very similar to NRMA basic cover but has a weight limit of 3500kgs and is free with with the comprehensive insurance. This is better for me as my car weighs just on 2500kg empty.

Premium cover is obviously better and I have used it and is worth every cent.

FollowupID: 810801

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 14:14

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 14:14
Out of interest, what happened to the other occupants?
We had a breakdown, called the manufacturers roadside assist which (as you stated correctly) defaults to the local RAA contractor.
He came out and offered to take me (the driver) and the car to Port Augusta from up near Beltana.
However, the other 6 occupants had to fend for themselves. No buses, trains, taxis available.
Just curious how you got on. I guess if there's more than one car and there are spare seats, it's no problem. But we didn't have that option.
FollowupID: 810830

Follow Up By: troopmaster96 - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 08:52

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 08:52
Howdy Fab, sorry for late reply, in this instance the above mentioned Fourby had the Driver only in it.
FollowupID: 810890

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:57

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:57
The motoring organisation in the state where you reside Chrisso. They have reciprocal arrangements with the states, and the same callout number 131111 Australia wide. We take a higher level of cover for the tow vehicle, and basic for the others. Rarely needed but a good insurance.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528269

Reply By: nootsa200873 - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 20:44

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 20:44
Such great help here. I'm so glad to be able to ask all you fine folk, my questions. I'll give the RACV a call tomorrow. Thanks again for your great assistance.
AnswerID: 528278

Reply By: TTTSA - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:26

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:26
RAA in South Aust covers the driver, so it doesn't matter what car you are driving at the time. The Premium cover is reqd for towing of a large type vehicle i believe, Cruiser, Patrol etc.
AnswerID: 528300

Follow Up By: grey yesmad - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 17:00

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 17:00
Hi I joined the RAA so that it covers driving any vehicle. I also have NRMA premium (gold member) status but their service can be woeful. I bogged my Suzuki on a track at pejar dam one nigh (8 pm) and they refused to come out till next day. claimed they needed a heavy lift truck. ( It was a rugby semi final night!!!) it was 20 km from Goulburn branch, so my wife drove 120 kms in my l300 and pulled me out in 5 minutes.Their excuse was I was in a paddock but the track is in their own mapping system and is also a legal surveyed road. I gave em heaps about their so called on-offroad any time any where claims in their ads
FollowupID: 810846

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)