River Heights

Submitted: Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:40
ThreadID: 10669 Views:1988 Replies:7 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
The Cooper at Nappa Merrie is 4.11 metres and steady, at Innamincka it has peaked and is 5.8 metres and steady. At Birdsville the Diamantina is now 6.3 metres and falling slowly (evaporation is very high due to 48 degree days) and the water is disappearing fast from the flats. We hope to be able to get to the bridge by Sunday. Unfortunately, the locusts and grasshoppers have made short work of our green lawns and are now busy on the town oval. The road north from Bedourie to Boulia is opened to day to high clearance vehicles only so at least we can get to Mt Isa (800 klms away) for a shopping trip. It is not completely true that the Pub has run out of Gold beer - only Gold on tap - still plenty of stubbies. No mosquitos and only a few sandflies and sticky flies - what a bonus.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 13:19

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 13:19
Ruth, thanks for the informative updates. You have talked me into heading up your way in July with all this talk of what is happening to the country around you. Look forward to a beer or 2 in the pub
Regards
Vince
AnswerID: 47442

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:05

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:05
Hi Vince we look forward to seeing you. (Hope the water goes down and the beer gets in before you do).These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309442

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 14:44

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 14:44
after recent discussions with my fish relo's in the centre we think it appalling you dont give us poor fish a fighting chance when after a meal!
then to let others know of our whereabouts and how to catch us how does a poor fih get by.

as for carp well they have no rules.

God is watching you!
lol1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 47447

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 16:39

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 16:39
Hey Toonfish - no slagging the Carp....The pommies love em.

Carp Mag.

I am trying to find the feral cat lovers, cane toad appreciation society and sandfly lovers club.

Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 309441

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:06

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:06
Andrew & Jen - have you told Toonfish yet?These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309443

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 18:02

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 18:02
We should make them all come over to wipe out the pests as they put them here in the first place.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 309448

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 18:20

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 18:20
Does Toonfish understand about the hypnosis yet? Will he need lessons?These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309451

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 22:31

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 22:31
I have had a chat with Mr Toonfish, and he is apparently one for 'tickling.' Hope that you take this as a sincere question..... "Is Ian pretty good in the Tickling department" If he is, then Mr Toonfish will be (like) buttered in his fry pan.

Mr Toonfish I think might need some hypnosis lessons - I'll direct him to the causeway for an intro.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 309486

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:27

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:27
As I have known Ian since he was 16 I am able to report he is very good in the tickling department. As for Mr Toonfish - he seems unable/unwilling to say anything. He is not still sulking I hope. His turn will come.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309520

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:29

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:29
Who me sulking , never too busy
But i am prone to a little tickling .
but dont forget
a feather is kinky
the whole chicken is just perverted!1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
FollowupID: 309589

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 14:45

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 14:45
floods, 48 degrees, near 100% humidity, mozzies, sandflies and sticky flies, locusts and grasshoppers...not very hospitable land where you live Wow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
AnswerID: 47448

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:07

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:07
Told you I wanted to go to Antarctica.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309444

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:25

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:25
me too
but its too cold brrrrWow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
FollowupID: 309446

Reply By: The Banjo - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 14:47

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 14:47
G'day Ruth
Question from the mob at work - to what to do the river levels you state relate to ?
What is a height of 0m ? Also, you quote a temp of 48 degs - there was splash in the media a few weeks back - BV had a new record of 47 something - who does the recording for the town ? Whatever, you folk must be cooking.
I need red sand under me.
AnswerID: 47449

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:15

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:15
Bottom of the river I should imagine (but will speak to my mate at BOM Hydrology). Today it hit 50 on the front verandah outside my lounge room window - this is on the eastern side of the house. The official recording is at the Police Station and the autmoatic weather station on the western side of the airstrip. Our temperature in Birdsville is always 3 - 4 degrees above what you read on the ABC weathermap each night, possibly because the TV temp is the one taken at 12 Noon and the hottest part of the day is about 3:00 p.m. Everyone who could has had a kip today (probably because we have to be up and at it for Happy Hour at 6:00 - it is Friday isn't it?). The humidity is not so high today which makes it a bit easier. Just received a nice present - today's newspaper from Adelaide and a parcel of FRESH King George Whiting - yummmy. Sent up on a visiting plane from Dingo Jack and his 'Follow Me I'm Lost' Tours (they flew in the first weekend to see the water) and as a thank you to everyone up here we all got fresh whiting. Thank you Dingo Jack.
(Nice fish in your picture The Banjo).These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309445

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 18:18

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 18:18
The Banjo, Hydrology mate says - riverbed. Sometime long ago someone worked out where 0 was and even though that spot may be a waterhole which always has water in it all readings are done from that, even though may be full of silt, debris or whatever.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309450

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 22:25

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 22:25
Hi Ruth - from the Westprint Newsletter I read this:
Queensland Flooding in Lake Eyre Basin

A report from National Parks suggest that although flooding at Birdsville is at a high level there is not a great deal of water coming down toward Lake Eyre. At present the Warburton Crossing access for the Simpson Desert , just south of Clifton Hills Station, is still open and water has not flowed through Goyders Lagoon yet. At Innamincka the water level is 5.5 metres above the causeway but flood-water is not expected to reach the Birdsville Track. As the wet season is almost at an end, large amounts of additional water are not expected to enter the system.

Cheers

AnswerID: 47478

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:15

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:15
Andrew, what have I been trying to tell you since the water first arrived here? Hmmmm? A cool 45.5 at 10:00 a.m. - fair bit of wind blowing so not so bad - in the afternoons the wind drops completely and it is hot.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309515

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 14:17

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 14:17
Don't ya just hate it when people are right!! This Goyders Lagoon must be a big and thirsty critter - I thought that it was a bit of a swamp just out of town! And the weather - 45.5C and windy - Jen is over the moon - those wild flowers I reckon will be a dried flower arrangement. Hows the Mr Diamantina Barra man going - thought you wouldn't have enough room in the fridge for fresh whiting!
FollowupID: 309532

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:11

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:11
Sorry to take so long Andrew but the town has been without phone system since 1:00 p.m. Saturday until this a.m. - gremlins again. Now, I have not received my Westprint Newsletter yet - probably Monday's mail (only comes in Monday and Thursday) - think about this. When was the Newsletter written, printed and mailed? If you recall last week's posts I told you that the water was through Goyder's Lagoons (as seen by the Pilots) and that the water was already at Clifton Hills - at the One Mile Yards (after talking to the station) and that it was expected to be at Cowarie Station (by last Sunday)! Yes the water is winding its way slowly down the River and yes it will go into the Warburton Groove at the top of the Lake, but there won't be huge volumes.
The water is below 6 metres this a.m. and Ian went down early and said the road to the bridge is partially uncovered and we'll be able to walk out there this afternoon (for exercise) - some of the bitumen has been rolled up by the way the water came in so furiously the first day. The weather bureau is predicting a SE cool change for us this afternoon (yesterday sat on 50) and as always before a wind change we get a dust storm - in today's case (because of the water all around) we just have dust in the air, quite thick like a heat haze. The wind is in the N/NW and will slowly move its way around to the S/SE.
The fresh whiting was scrumptious.
These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309574

Reply By: Dingo Jack - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 00:45

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 00:45
Ruth
Since we were there[among the first] I've been seeing lots of tv footage of boating etc in Birdsville.
Glad to see my old mate "Spanner" brought up some real fish for you. The crabs are still biting down here.My next tour is with a group of ladies who want to talk to trees and hug rocks pity I couldn't talk them into mud baths flies and mozzies .Keep xmas fish crays oysters and the ocean very much to the forefront of your mind
Dingo Jack
AnswerID: 47491

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:24

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:24
Dingo Jack - you missed another good night in the Pub (because the Doyle's were there!) - the boat people turned up again. Ronnie the Rat won third prize in the P & C Raffle (another calculator just what he needs). The ringers were in town and council has four days off so everyone was heading up to Melrose Place for a Bachelor Party.
Nominations for Council Elections were yesterday!! Fresh whiting for dinner tonight with the last of the fresh green beans - baked cheesecake with blueberries. Sunday a.m. we are having Town Coffee again with salami & pineapple pinwheels, scones and someone's making a cake.
Wolfie came home yesterday - noticed his car on the way to the Pub - he came over the SD. There are some nice tops on the dunes. When we get a chance to talk to him will find out how good/bad it is and let everyone know.
Ian says - if the heat keeps up forget about doing the Wildflower Tour come and see the parched earth tour.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309519

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 21:50

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 21:50
Respite is on the way, Ruth, only 46 degrees here today, and the River at Old Cork is running ankle deep through the new bridge. We might ? even be able to cross it here, this week.

Just catching up with this weeks posts, been away for the week. Regards,

Bob.
AnswerID: 47544

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:14

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:14
Hello Bob, welcome back - you didn't have a very long holiday. Just added a post above in Andrew & Jen's which will give you this morning's update on weather and tide.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309575

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:38

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:38
Ruth,

Thanks for the updates, always good to know what the River is doing.

We did have just over 3 weeks away, visiting friends and rellies, in Brissy, and along the coast, and Blue Mountains, in NSW. Was only back 3 days, and I spent last week away, in Longreach and Townsville.

This week is catch up, weeds, waters and bookwork.

See ya,
Bob.
FollowupID: 309577

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:11

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:11
Gidday Bob
Glad to hear you are back after a week away. How are things up your way now? Has the water dropped right down? When you catch up by the end of this week, you are welcome to come here coz I have a bit of a problem down here with weeds and water (pool needs cleaning) and the paperwork is mounting. An acre is so much to look after!
FollowupID: 309594

Sponsored Links