QLD Free camping sites

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 10:53
ThreadID: 106721 Views:3717 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Any idea about the best free campsites, or best NP between Brisbane and around Townsville area please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 13:09

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 13:09
Hi Jenny and Ray,

There will be a lot of options. Your best bet would be to get hold of a publication like Camps Australia, or Camping Guide to Australia (both available through the EO shop on this site). Or have a look through the Places section (in blue bar across the top of the page) or there is an app that lists lots of free camps - cant remember its name ATM but others will know.

Just be aware that most travellers now have these books and use the apps so free camps can get pretty crowded especially in the peak season.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528391

Reply By: MEMBER Bushbum - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 13:57

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 13:57
Have a look at Lake Clarendon near Gatton or Heifer Creek on the Gatton/Clifton road. Lake Clarendon has a couple of shelter sheds and a composting Toilet that is always clean and has a large camping area and lots of birdlife on the lake. Heifer creek is a picturesque spot halfway up the range and is nestled beside a pretty creek. Again, a fairly large area with composting toilets that are generally clean but last time we called in they were not composting due to a lack of a compost base and in fact left a lot to be desired. The books suggested thet list free camps are very good but if you have an ipad or iphone, the Wicki Camps Aus app is very good and is less than $5,00. There are quite a few free camps in the area you are interested in.
Regards,
bushbum
AnswerID: 528394

Reply By: nootsa200873 - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:22

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:22
Hi Jen and Ray,
We are just about to embark on our 1st Big Trip we our camper trailer. We want to free camp and also stay at some of the great parks around NSW and Qld. All the research I have done was greatly enhanced with the Wiki Camps app. It's the best $4.49 I've spent!
It has all the info you will need.
Happy travels,
Chriso
AnswerID: 528453

Sponsored Links