Meeting the requirements of 'Self Sufficient'

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 17:54
ThreadID: 106762 Views:3737 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am hoping to make my caravan self sufficient in order to stay in places where this is required. The caravan only has a kitchen sink. No toilet, I have a porta-potti which takes care of that, and no shower. Can the waste from the sink run into a jerry can on the ground which I can then cap off and take with me in the car or does the waste have to run into a tank attached to the caravan?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:29

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:29
Hi Mikee

This depends on the site. While we are seeing more "self contained only" sites, I have never been to one where our bucket could not be emptied into nearby bush, or a dump point at the site. However a number of self contained campgrounds do not allow buckets or jerry cans because just some have let them overflow. They do allow either a built in tank or a purpose build wheeled grey water tank, although Cooktown in Queensland is the only one so far identified to specify built in tank only. Contact me or send me you email address if you would like to know more about these specific campgrounds, many of which have a dump point on site.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528557

Follow Up By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 13:16

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 13:16
Thanks for the reply. I was more thinking about eg Kingston SE SA where there is a free camp for self contained only, also on Eyre Peninsula several spots again self contained. I just realised I meant self contained not self sufficient sorry. Who decides if I am self contained in these cases? Robe caravan park allows grey water onto the ground, there is no sullage. So to many other caravan parks (Moree is another). I don't see why it is bad to drop grey water in the bush but OK in a heavily used van park.
FollowupID: 811273

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 18:07

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 18:07
CMCA (the Motorhome mob) canvas Councils to get more free and low cost campgrounds, and these are often for "self contained only". Some specify Self Contained Motorhomes only, but in most cases they allow fully self conatined caravans as well. Some do not allow caravans at all, eg Renmark SA. This is a Council decision.

In a caravan park, we are generally watering grass. Campgrounds are often hard dirt, clay or bitumen. This may not be suitable for water discharge.Kingston may have grassy areas, but they have been set up for no water discharge. There is a dump point in town. Any method of removing water should be OK there.

There is a bit of hype about "self contained". While in some areas it may be important, in others water disposed of in bush nearby (but not just let run onto the ground as some people do) would do little or no harm.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811296

Reply By: Tony F8 - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:45

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:45
Afternoon Mikee.
Self sufficient, well that can mean many things or a few, you would need to be more specific as to your expectations of " self sufficient". The waste from your sink I ok to go on the ground if your in a remote area, lt's classed as grey water.
I have the ability to stay away, without external input for 20+ days, including water for that time, and have a range of 1800 klms. I deem myself reasonbly self sufficient, but that is my opinion. If I want to put to use my skills in finding water and food in the bush, I could no doubt stay for much longer.
You must know honestly, your own capabilities, and that of your vehicle. You need a variety of skills, which can be lacking in this day and age, unless you have had exposure to what is required.
Do your research, learn all you can and practice those skills, then you have a chance of not becoming a SAR recipient.
Drive safe.
Tony F8
AnswerID: 528558

Follow Up By: Tony F8 - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:48

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 18:48
Sorry Mikee,
Misread your question, I thought it was meant you wanted to be self sufficient when travelling with your van.
My apologies.
Tony F8.
FollowupID: 811123

Sponsored Links