Self drive, guided 4WD Tag-along tours with supplied vehicles

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:03
ThreadID: 106777 Views:3131 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,
I have some friends coming over from overseas later this year that would love to do some travel in the outback. They are not experienced four wheel drivers but are itching to learn.

Unfortunately for me, I can’t get the time off work to act as a tour guide. So……………

Does anyone know of a place that does tag-along tours using the tour companies own four-wheel drives that are fully catered for? (Eg: bedding, food, water etc).

Location is not important as their travel itinerary is not locked in yet and they’re here for 2 months.

Cheers.
Fab.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:47

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:47
I would highly doubt it, would be hideously expensive
i would be looking at hiring a britz or such like for a tagalong

they would have to make sure the hiring company allows thier vehicles to go in the tagalong area

the other option would be the 4wd bus type tour which doesnt sound what there looking for

AnswerID: 528586

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 14:24

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 14:24
Thanks G.O,
Yeah they're trying to avoid the bus thing.

I did suggest hiring a 4WD and doing a tag-along. I guess the problem there is that there is an expectation that each party in the tag-along has all there own gear.

I think I might just talk them into a bus thing. They're usually pretty well set up.

Cheers.
Fab.
FollowupID: 811172

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 15:11

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 15:11
Here are a couple that I found, maybe of some use to you.

http://voyager4x4adventures.com.au/tagalongtours.html

http://www.tagalongtours.com.au/about-us.htm

http://www.adventure-tours-australia.com/4wd-tour-dates.html

When they hire a 4x4, it may pay them to do a weekend course to at least familiarize themselves with the basics.
They would also need to have it in writing that they are allowed to take the vehicle off road and also arrange their own insurance.
FollowupID: 811176

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 15:20

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 15:20
I just noticed that there is an option for them to travel in the tour operators vehicle and is fully catered, but pricey $5100 pp.

Depending on the total cost involved when hiring etc, the above maybe a better option for them. At least they still get all the thrills but don't have to worry about the technical side of things and everything is provided. The only thing they would need to bring along is their booze and a sleeping bag.

http://www.adventure-tours-australia.com/4wd-tour-dates.html

There is also an option for $200 off if paid in full 120 days prior.
FollowupID: 811178

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 16:21

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 16:21
pretty sure most hire 4bys come decked out. maybe some cheap bedding may be needed but that would be it
FollowupID: 811186

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 16:27

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 16:27
here you go. they come with pretty much everything
http://www.britz.com.au/campervans-australia/Pages/bushcamper-3-berth-4wd-camper.aspx#sleeping
FollowupID: 811187

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 19:18

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 19:18
They are probably better off finding another couple or group to travel with. Tag along is hellishly expensive! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811206

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 19:41

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 19:41
Being inexperienced and just meeting up with someone else, may not be the best thing to do.
They are putting their safety in the hands of someone who they don't know, they are also relying on them for the 4x4 driving side of things. There is no telling how experienced the other people are or what first aid qualifications they have.

By going with one of these companies they should be very well looked after and will be able to have a great time knowing that in the event something happened they would be sure to receive the best care possible. If they have their own vehicle, they should also receive expert 4x4 guidance and not be pressured into doing something they are capable or comfortable with.

I think it is a very good idea, sure it may be expensive, but for someone who has never done it, I think it is a great way to at least get a taste of what it is like and stay safe at the same time.
FollowupID: 811208

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 19:56

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 19:56
pretty sure those britz etc get restricted as to where they can go,
if they had any sense they would relax those restrictions for tag alongs - far more chance of getting your camper back in one peice in that situation rather than chucking the keys to some 20 something backpackers and pionting them in the direction of the cape or the GRR
FollowupID: 811209

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 20:08

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 20:08
heres the britz restrictions on travel - would have thought this was front and centre but you have to read there VERY extensive fine print to find it

(b) 4WD vehicles can be driven on recognised unsealed
tracks.
(c) 4WD vehicles may only travel to the following
areas with the written permission of Britz: Simpson
Desert, Strzelecki Track, Gunbarrel Highway, Cape
York, the Bungle Bungles, Oodnadatta Track,
Birdsville Track, Tanami Track, the Plenty Highway,
Gibb River Road, Burke Development Road from
Chillagoe to Normanton, Savannah Way from
Normanton to Borroloola, Fraser Island*, Finke
Road (between Alice Springs and Oodnadatta),
Central Arnhem Road and Arnhem Land in general,
and
(d) Vehicles are not permitted on the Canning Stock
Route, the Old Gunbarrel Hwy, the Lost City in
Litchfield Park, the Telegraph section of the road to
Cape York, Boggy Hole (Finke Gorge National Park)
and the Old South Road from Maryvale to Finke at
any time. Travel to Cape York between the months
of December to May is not permitted. The Customer
is responsible for all damage if travelling on these
FollowupID: 811213

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 20:31

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 20:31
This could not have been where I thought it was? :)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 811215

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 19:39

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 19:39
It was more than 10 years ago but there was tour of Kakadu you could do with a guide that came with vehicle and all meals and camping gear supplied. They do the 4WD mini bus group tours but were doing these private trips in a Landcruiser with traileras well. The biggest advantage of this is that you get a running commentary of information and local knowledge to find the right places in a short timeframe.
Price was reasonable considering what you got I thought
I would be contacting a few of the tour operators and see if they can offer similar option
AnswerID: 528631

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 20:16

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 20:16
where are they looking to go??

as I said those britzes are pretty well set up Ive gone through the list of what they come with and would have thought there pretty much ready to go and depending on where they want to go you might be able to draw them up an itenery and arm them with info off this site

alot of outback travel just involves driving dirt roads and a few tracks - 4wd is usually not even required.

if there activly looking to seek out spots they would need the help of someone with experience then the tag along would be a good option
but otherwise... maybe not needed

i priced out a pop top camper for 8 days and I thought the cost was reasnable (less than i thought actually)
AnswerID: 528633

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 23:33

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 23:33
Isn't there a member/contributor to this forum who has or owns a 4wd tour company?
Olsens rings a bell......?
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528644

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 09:16

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 09:16
This is another member/contributor
http://www.4wd.net.au/
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811249

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 01:29

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 01:29
Hi Fab,

While their itinerary location may not be locked in.....some ideas of what they want to see and go, may help.

Contact some of the S.A. clubs to see what trips they are running.

You could lend them YOUR vehicle ............ seeing as you can't get time off :-)

Above all, we hope they have a good time and if they head West, please let us know.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally

AnswerID: 528648

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 06:39

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 06:39
Arrrgh! No way Wayne & Sally.
3 things I never lend out are my lawnmower, my wife and my 4by. lol.

Thanks all the same for the idea. I'm working with them on some to-do places to see. Coming from Europe, they think they can see the Barossa in the morning, pop over to see the Syney Harbour bridge after lunch, then have dinner at Ayers Rock before bedding down for the night in Perth. (Not quite - but not far off either). The distances are blowing their minds and hence the reluctance to set them up in a Britz (or similar), point them in a direction and send them off.

They are really keen to be able to do some four wheel driving themselves to learn the ropes, but want the safety of a tag-along for the commentry I guess and the local knowledge.

I've had a few good links posted above and I'm looking into a few of them. Yeah some are expensive, but coming that seems to be what they are dead set keen on doing.

Cheers....FAb.
FollowupID: 811245

Reply By: Penchy - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 08:54

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 08:54
Sargent 4x4 hire, hire a camper trailer from someone then do a tag along. As they are not experienced they may be putting themselves at risk, and also frustrate others on a tag along.
AnswerID: 528657

Reply By: Great Divide Tours - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:48

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:48
Hi Fab,

We are a tagalong tour company, we do not take passengers in our vehicles but can organise very well set up hire vehicles for clients who do not have their own. If you would like to send me an email - info@4wd.net.au - with details of when and where your friends would like to travel, I will let you know if we can be of assistance.

Regards,
Jenny - Great Divide Tours.
AnswerID: 528665

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 18:54

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 18:54
Awesome Jenny and a huge thank you.
Rather than me be the meat in the sandwich, I've passed your email address on to them and have asked them to give you a few more details like any specific things they hope to see, more firm dates etc.

They're a lovely couple and their English is very fluent so they'll have no probs fitting in.

Thanks again.
Fab.
FollowupID: 811362

Sponsored Links