Dog Fence

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 12:54
ThreadID: 10683 Views:3570 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help with a contact for the dog fence that runs across Sth Aust. ? Is it administered by and reparied by some govt. department. I havn't found any help searching the www just a couple of stories. Who is the authority in charge ? Thanks fellas.Carpe Diem
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kevint - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 15:10

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 15:10

I have just finished reading a book written by an author who travelled the entire length of the Dog Fence from the SA end just west of Ceduna through to the other end in Queensland, can't think of the bloke's name but the book is called The Dog Fence, a recent publication. Try your local library. The auther travelled in company with various maintenance crew and by himself. The names of these men and the dept. they work for are in this book. It's also a good read about a part of outback Australia. Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 47513

Reply By: ThePublican - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 15:12

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 15:12
Cocka, you could try the Warra Shire Council as the fence starts in Jandowae Qld.
AnswerID: 47514

Reply By: rolux1983 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 16:14

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 16:14
Try this address and goto contact info it gives an e-mail address. He might be able to help

AnswerID: 47517

Reply By: Bilbo Baggins - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 22:33

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 22:33
You could try contacting Jim Herbert from the Dept Natural Resources and Mines, in Roma Qld. He is the Qld Manager of the Wild Dog Barrier Fence. His email address is

He attended the Barrier Fence administrators conference in WA in May 2003 and was in contact with all of the Managers of the Wild Dog Barrier Fence. It used to be called the Dingo fence, but they think there aren't that many pure dingoes anymore, so they changed the name to the Wild Dog Barrier Fence.

Hope this is of some help.
Bilbo Baggins
AnswerID: 47549

Reply By: Member - Frank - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:08

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:08
I do not belive that it is repaired any more, only by graziers as a dividing fence

but people that do a particular job always know the field, call the wild dog destruction board in nsw and they will know it was paddy barlow in tibooburra but that was 20 years ago they is country fokes and are always helpfulCBS
Cant Bl**dy Sitstill
AnswerID: 47585

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:03

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:03
Look up on previous threads, i placed a phone number for the hungerford pub, which i called and were very helpful.
I havent got the number handy, but can get it another day.
Try the wild dog patrol in Broken Hill, these are the people who patrol the fence.
I had heard from someone in Bourke that some people have had permission, and recently travelled all the way from hungerford to the corner along the fence, which has been closed for many years.
AnswerID: 47591

Reply By: duncs - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 20:56

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 20:56

The people in charge are the Wild Dog Destruction Board their contacts from the local phone book in Broken HIll are as follows

Broken Hill: - 08 8088 4724
Wompah Tibooburra: - 08 8091 3552
Smithville:- 08 8091 3052

Smithville and Wompah are along the NSW/SA border nth of Broken Hill. They should be able to give you further information about the right people to contact about your enquiry.

All the offices are single man operated and are often unattended so just keep trying.

AnswerID: 47618

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:13

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:13
Contact the NPWS at Tibooburra - the vistor centre there gets questions on driving the fence all the time, they will know all the answers. All the contacts for the Rural Lands Protection Board and Wild Dog Destruction Board are also in Tibooburra and the NPWS are in close contact with them.

If you do the run between Hungerford and the Warri Gate and Toona Gate towards Cameron Corner, just be prepared for tyre repairs, the mulga stakes from old fence posts buried just under the dunes and from bits of loose timber and wire can take it's toll.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 47785

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 22:33

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 22:33
Thanks Beddo and others. Some good contacts here to start with.
Beddo, how are things going up at Mt Yango - you still looking after the place ??Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 309755

Reply By: Member - Anne - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 15:56

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 15:56
There is a South Australian Dog Fence Board. Its Excutive Officer is a bloke called Balharry (I can't remember his first name) who is based in the SA Department of Water Land and Biodiversity Conservation. Listed phone number for the Dog Fence Board is 08 83039517. Start there.

AnswerID: 48404

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)