Planning to go to NT in July. Where do we go? What should we see?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:30
ThreadID: 106871 Views:1743 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hubby and I are planning a trip to NT in July. Drive a 1999 Pajero and tow a 10 yr old Kimberley Kamper (we're all on the oldish side but in pretty good condition). We are looking for suggestions on the route from Sydney, "must see places, and camping spots". We have not been to the NT before. Don't mind the dirt roads but no hard 4WD. Need some help in where to go and what to see and how to go about planning the actual trip of 12 weeks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:53

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:53
Look up the NT travel blog posted by a member called Mother hen, that should give you lots of ideas.
AnswerID: 528992

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:51

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:51
Thanks Mark :)

My 2008 blogs show Central Australia, and 2009 from Alice Springs to Darwin, including Kakadu, Litchfield and Katherine.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811632

Follow Up By: Linny - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 15:19

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 15:19
Thanks Mark,

Motherhen postings are really, really good. Can't wait to read all the NT threads. Linny
FollowupID: 811640

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 18:42

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 18:42
Linny

All I can say is make your plans flexible as everyone has a different tastes. In July I'm going back to the ranges west of Alice for the 4th time in about 7 years.
Other people fall in love with the Top end rather the southern region. If you haven't been to the Flinders, Coober Pedy, Dalhousie Springs or Longreach area before you could easily spend several weeks just getting to the NT and back from the east coast.

Mark
FollowupID: 811662

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:37

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:37
A lot depends on which way you want to go and what type of things you want to see. For instance if you go from the south to Alice Springs it will be desert type country. If you go thru QLD to Darwin it will be a bit of a mixture of dry and wet tropical.
For planning my suggestion would be to use Google Maps where you can put in destinations to see distances and times and move routes around.
AnswerID: 528997

Follow Up By: Linny - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 15:22

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 15:22
Thanks for your reply Rod.
FollowupID: 811641

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 14:14

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 14:14
Hi Linny,

There is a heap of info on this site. Have a look through the Places section (in the blue bar across the top of the page) for things to see and campsites. We are in Canberra (so would take a similar route to someone going from Sydney) and have quite a few blogs up about that part of the world. Your route to the NT would depend on what you want to see en route. Click on the "My Blog" button beside my photo at the bottom and have a look through from 2001 to 2011. The older blogs are still quite relevant for the "things to" part of your question.

As to how to go about planning, suggest you start by researching the things that you want to see, then plan a route between them. Start with a big paper map and make plenty of notes on it. Once that is done you can start working out rough travel times etc (a simple spreadsheet might be useful at this stage) - and after that you may have specific questions that you can come back to the forum to ask. Remember that planning is an important and enjoyable part of the whole experience. But the key I think is not to overplan ie get a good idea of where you want to go and the roads/tracks you might take - but leave plenty of wriggle room, for the unforseen things (both good and not so good) that inevitably crop up. There is nothing worse than being tied to an inflexible timetable when you have just come to a stunning spot and want to stop for a day or 3. Also, talk to other travellers as you go and you will get lots of tips about places to go, road conditions etc.

Take plots of photos, keep a diary and have a great time.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528998

Follow Up By: Linny - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 22:58

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 22:58
Thank you Val for taking the time to share your advice and experience. Have got the map and pen and ready to go to work.
I have just become a member and can now see how valuable this membership can be.
FollowupID: 811687

Reply By: The Bunyip - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 15:44

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 15:44
Linny,

In short..... up north Kakadu (you really need a week). Litchfield NP is awesome as is Katherine Gorge, Edith Falls, Berry Springs near Darwin & Mataranka.

Down south the obvious one as Uluru. But spend a week @ Alice Springs & do the Macdonnell Ranges properly. Chambers Pillar, Gosse Bluff , Palm Valley & Rainbow Valley are all 4WD tracks but well worth the effort.

For me Kings Canyon is a stand out. I know it's important to respect the original owners wishes but gee it was great to be able to walk the entire canyon without worrying about straying off the track & offending the locals.
AnswerID: 529084

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:40

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 16:40
There is a lot of good info here indeed. There are also folk who make their living doing guide books that have a heap of detail and the benefit of user feedback, updates, maps etc. The Moon's guides spring to mind (no connection).
AnswerID: 529088

Sponsored Links