outback way

Submitted: Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 23:10
ThreadID: 106881 Views:1729 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for information about the outback way. I am thinking of doing the crossing in July. Start Brisbane end Perth.
I would like to have information about amount of traffic roughly.
How important is it to have a high lift jack???
As I am not mechanically minded i would not be able to do repairs on the landcriuser.
I would make sure i had 2 spare tyres?
I do not have radio so presume a Satellite phone would be a good idea.
Also what are the chances of teeing up the trip with others doing the crossing at that time?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Debra J - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 23:18

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 23:18
more info on the track.....Winton to Laverton
http://outbackway.org.au/images/brochure/outback_way_brochure.pdf
AnswerID: 529039

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 05:48

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 05:48
G'day, I am sure you will have a ball doing this trip. Some days will be lots of traffic, other days not much. Very difficult to say even roughly, amount of traffic on the route.

As to a high lift jack, not needed in most circumstances, difficult to use, heavy and can be dangerous. Just make sure your jack can fit under the axle when you have a flat, some cruisers you can't get the jack under and need two jacks or a high lift to change a wheel. As well as two spares, have a puncture repair kit and practice how to use it, in some cases you don't even need to remove the wheel to repair.

Maybe wise to do a vehicle maintenance course before leaving, you don't say what age or model your cruiser is, but it does pay to know what to look for and how to fix minor things. A good mechanic to check, change belts and hoses etc and service your vehicle prior to the trip is essential. Keep the old belts and hoses as spares. Take a few spares, filters, belts etc is good insurance and after your course, you will know how to check and change if required.

Would recommend having a UHF radio, is only for local comms, but does come in handy talking to the truckies and other travellers.

Sat phone is a nice to have, but on that journey probably not required, it is not all that isolated.

Hope I have helped a little.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529042

Sponsored Links