Landcruiser 79 series bucket seats

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:58
ThreadID: 106902 Views:19442 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find what I needed.

I have a 79 series single cab land cruiser with the very uncomfortable bench seat. I bought some bucket seats out of a Prado. They were much too big (high and wide) in the single cab, took them back and swapped them for a pair of Suburu Liberty seats. Still too big!!

I don't have thousands of dollars to spend. Does anyone know of what seats would be a good size? Ideally with brackets that will just allow me to bolt them in. But I can get the brackets modified if I must.

Just looking for something comfortable and slimline enough for the single cab

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne NSW - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 21:27

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 21:27
Sarah,

Bucket seats out of a GXL 79 series would fit, you have a bench seat so I would guess you have the work mate ute.

Fitting bucket seats to a vehicle that has a bench is possible but not easy. You would have to pick up the captive nuts that are hidden under the floor. Then there is the issue of ADR compliance, rego inspection and changing the vehicle from a 3 seat bench to a 2 seat bucket, seat belts and of course any issues with the air bags.

Having aftermarket seats seats fitted is possible as they will supply the correct brackets and generally a engineers certificate to make the swap compliant.

Wayne
AnswerID: 529117

Follow Up By: Member - Col G (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 21:54

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 21:54
Sarah

Check out Gumtree in your state, you would be looking for a set of Recaro, Stratus or Paratus seats, all of these have purpose built frames to suit particular vehicles. Ideally you want the seats and frames out of a 78 or 79 Series or as originally suggested the original seats seats out of a GXL ute or troopy.

Cheers

Col
FollowupID: 811801

Reply By: Penchy - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:19

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:19
Maquarie 4x4 in Sydney do a drive in drive out seat upgrade using recaro seats, they mod plate the vehicle also. It is pricey but am sure its worth it.

I used Subaru Impreza seats in my GQ but took some fab work to align and fit correctly.
AnswerID: 529143

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 19:20

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 19:20
Hi Penchy,

They drove me home in Duncan's ute (which has the recaros) once. Wish they hadn't, it only made me want replacement seats in my 76!
FollowupID: 811910

Reply By: mick smith - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 21:51

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 21:51
If it helps I have a stratos suspension seat that I will fit to my new 79 ute.It has been with me through my last 2 Hilux's and I love it. New mounts of course to suit the new ute. They are expensive but way worth it ,especially when you take it with you(as it were) They are at Smithfield I think.
BTW if you are wanting to sell the bench seat,a mate is looking for one.
Cheers Mick
AnswerID: 529401

Sponsored Links