Oodnadatta Track write up!

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:40
ThreadID: 106967 Views:2143 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day guys and gals!

Back in October, a few mates and I decided to head to Uluru from Bendigo via the Oodnadatta Track and return via Coober Pedy and Adelaide.

Well it's taken a while to fully complete, but I've managed to complete by blog post on the adventure! Lots of decisions about places to stop, equipment etc were made using info from these forums, so thanks very much!

Hopefully my blog post will help others plan their journey if they decide to take a similar route.My Blog Post Here - http://ting-b.com/?p=342

If you guys have any questions on how our gear held up (tyres, lights, air filters, suspension), feel free to ask away. Will be more than happy to give some insights.

Cheers!
Ben

Btw, some of the posts on this forum which I found really useful and why were:
Fuel prices for budgeting/estimates

Tyre pressures and speeds/road conditions

Other links to other posts with more info (reply no.2)

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 13:25

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 13:25
Ben

It sounds like you had a great trip. Well done for a first effort, and a great write up.

I was a bit concerned when I read your list of "supplies" : 'Other than that, our food rations consisted of 8 different kinds of Chunky Soup (Outback Steak, Lamb Hotpot, Stockpot, Steak and Ale, Pepper Steak, Ravioli Beef, Lamb Curry, Steak and Potato…..), instant cup noodles, pasta, frozen Four ‘n’ Twenty pies and course for breakfast, Weetbix etc.'

It was never going to be a trip to achieve great culinary heights, was it :-)

Bob
AnswerID: 529375

Follow Up By: benting88 - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 21:33

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 21:33
Thanks!

Haha, yeah... Throw a couple of twenty-something guys on a trip, combined with a general laziness for cleaning and the decision was already made - Chunky Soup it is! (At least we heated it up!)

Although I must say, combining it with some pasta, mince, tinned vegetables etc. it worked out really well!

Our lunches were pretty much the highlight of the day, supporting many of the businesses along the way. Especially the Marree Hotel - great place I must say!
FollowupID: 812211

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 16:15

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 16:15
Enjoyed the blog, Ben!

Would have been fun with the 4 of you? Top photography too, what camera do you use?

Think I could handle your menu. Those chunky soups are good, eh! Talking about heating the midday meal, when I was driving a grader on a station few winters ago, used to drop a tin of baked beans down between the starter motor and engine block in the morning, and it'd be hot enough by midday. Made a good change from corned beef sangers every day.

Might have to try a Mrs Macs Angus Beef, Cheese & Bacon maggot bag, heated on the inlet manifold, next time we go away too.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529378

Follow Up By: benting88 - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 21:45

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 21:45
Thank you!

I use a Canon 100D - only bought it a week before we departed.

Would really recommend the use of a polarising filter - that's what really made the reds of the sand the blues of the sky pop out.

Love the Chunky Soups! Yeah, I seriously reckon the engine bay an untapped area for some camping accessory... Engine oven, with a light which comes on in the dash when it gets up to temp :P Let me know how your engine back 'cooking' goes.
FollowupID: 812213

Reply By: setsujoku - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 16:27

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 16:27
Looks like a good trip, and some great pics to remember the trip by!

Did you feel that you rushed the track? I've done it once and did it over 3 or 4 days, and would do it in 5 next time to make sure the road can be enjoyed and provide the chance to stop at all of the old towns along the way.
AnswerID: 529435

Follow Up By: benting88 - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2014 at 01:17

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2014 at 01:17
Cheers.

Funny you said that because when we got to Uluru, we were thinking the same thing, as we got there a day or two ahead of our planned schedule.

But we definitely drove to the conditions and made plenty of stops along the way. We probably made up a lot of time by not camping in Oodnadatta - we were originally planning to, but after getting lunch at the Pink Roadhouse and a bit of rest, we felt pretty good to make it to Marla and then it was a glide on the highway to Erldunda, stopping at various places along the way.

Overall, I don't think we did rush it.. If we shaved another day off, then we definitely would have. That being said, 5 days wouldn't be dragging it out either.
FollowupID: 812449

Sponsored Links