Sydney to Mungo National Park

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 22:04
ThreadID: 107011 Views:1655 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello fellow explorers !!

We (2 +1 kid 5 yr) are planning to go from Sydney to Mungo & Broken Hill from 18-26/04 (app. 10 days not sure will be able to get any more in working years!!)

Have booked Shearers cottage for 21/04 night, plan is to take Darling River Run from Wilcannia - Menindee to Mungo and than to BH (spend 2 nights there).

Are we trying to do too much is there must see things or things we can cut. We have a RAV4 is Darling River Run doable on this. All comments about trip and kids tips greatly appreciated .
I will pack an extra fuel can anything else to be mindful off.

Kind regards
Ribhu
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lou_r - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 22:44

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 22:44
My Mum, sister myself, and 4 kids did Mungo NP in September last year. We went in from Balranald and the road had just been graded and we had no problem. We then headed up to Menindee via Pooncarrie. Some spots along the road were a little dodgy at the time but all in all it was a good run. Personally I would spend a little longer in Mungo NP we all absolutely loved and wish we had a bit longer.
The camp kitchen at the Shearer's quarters is extremely well fit out and absolutely fantastic but take your Bushmans with you the flies could carry a car away lol.
The hospitality and welcome we received from the discovery rangers Ivan and Ricky (say hi for me, my sister and I watched our team the Knights go down to the Roosters in the finals with them) is second to none and its somewhere we will definitely visit again. Make sure you do the tour out to the walls of China with a guide as you can't venture out onto the walls without one.
Happy to answer any other questions if I can, ( just ask ).
PS I have diesel does about 750kms per tank and I limped in to Menindee although we were carrying spare fuel, I only just got there without needing to top up.

Cheers
Lou
AnswerID: 529544

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 07:06

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 07:06
Honestly, 10 days is no where near enough time so you will need to use it wisely.I would take lou-r's advice and go that way. There are plenty of fuel stops on the way before you leave Balranald and the drive is very scenic as well. You could come back through Ivanhoe,Hay for a bit of variety. Menindee has the must see Kinchega National Park (http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/kinchega-national-park?gclid=CPP1-ZHIvb0CFcddpQodT0cALA) as well. You will be amazed at how much there is to see and do out there.
A poster called Alien m from Broken Hill has put a notice up a few posts down though. Be aware that the Locusts look a bit proficient this year so put a good screen on the front of the car. Im sure you will relly enjoy your trip. Bob.
AnswerID: 529557

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 07:08

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 07:08
Kinchega NP
FollowupID: 812377

Sponsored Links