4WD mechanics in Sydney

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 15:39
ThreadID: 10707 Views:2582 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. We've had our diesel Patrol serviced a couple of times at different motor engineers around Sydney (Artarmon and Brookvale) but have not yet been impressed ( ... maybe they are so busy that the apprentices do the work and it's not then checked by the more qualified staff?).

Does anyone have a recommendations in or around Sydney? (Particularly for pump calibration.)

Thanks
Sandie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rojac - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 16:40

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 16:40
Cant recommend anyone as i dont live there but when you do find someone as k them what there mechanic to apprentice ratio is.

It may give you an idea as to who may do the work and if it gets checked.

AnswerID: 47602

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 16:55

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 16:55
Willis & Son at Magowar rd Girraween 96361122 , they have been looking after my trucks & 4by for 20 yrs they know their stuff. Tell them Bob Beatty recomended you. Also tell them you learned of them from this web site as I have been trying to get them to advertise here for ages.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 47603

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 18:59

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 18:59
Sandie

I have been pretty happy with Traction 4 at Artarmon. I have been able to discuss my needs and get decent feedback, and have not caught them out on anything. Their mechanicas seem competent. (That's from a perspective that I ahve always done what ever I can myself, and am being forced by health to get work done. I check up pretty carefully.)

Maybe that's the one you went to, but I know there is another one in Artarmon.

For pump calibration, try Reinhart at Berrima - got my injectors done there and got the full check over and it made a heck of a difference.
Max
AnswerID: 47606

Follow Up By: Sandie - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:35

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:35
Hi Max,

We tried Traction 4. We got a large service with them.
We were unimpressed with the service and attitude of the mechanics.
I asked that if anything needed replacing call me first. Didn't happen.
The car was there 2 days, when they said it would be 1. When I went to pick it up I had to wait for almost 2 hours for them to finish the job off.
To top it off they said that they had found a leak in the radiator plus the fan was badly cracked and for me to bring it back some other time (since they didn't have time to fix it or ring me over the 2 days). It's a leaking radiator in a diesel and they tell me to bring it back some other time. Go figure.

They gave me correct advice about the leaking injector pump and clutch wear but I could have told myself that.

Also, they did the lifters incorrectly. I found this out after I took it to someone else to get checked (I had my suspicions). They needed (mechanics words) "excessive adjustment". After the adjustment the engine ran heaps smoother and quieter, and still does.

They charged me $1000 to change the oil, stuff up the lifters, change a bearing and give me crap service.

I wrote them a letter about 8months ago. I haven't heard from them!!
There is a difference with giving advice and doing the job.
I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

We are now trying a guy in Fairlight (near Manly). He builds his own helicopters from scratch and worked on trucks and 4wd for 25 years.
If anything needs fabricating, he's your man!
The only problem is that he no longer has calibration gear for the diesel injectors and pumps. He couldn't recommend anyone in the sydney metro area that could do the job "well", only people who could do the job!
FollowupID: 309677

Follow Up By: landie - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 16:15

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 16:15
Hi Sandie

I know exactly what you mean. I found them to be rude and arrogant, so I simply voted with my feet. There are plenty of other four-wheel drive service providers who run rings around this mob.
FollowupID: 309697

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 16:41

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 16:41
Hmmmm!

Will keep a closer eye next time!
Max
FollowupID: 309702

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 20:13

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 20:13
West End Diesel out Wetherill Park way they are very good
Call Devesh or Leon at 02 9757 2100
AnswerID: 47615

Follow Up By: Sandie - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:40

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:40
KiwiAngler,
Your about the 3rd person who has said these guys are good.
The other 2 people are mechanical engineers. I'm guessing they would have some idea.

I might give them a go at tuning the engine.

Thanks for the phone number!!
Regards
FollowupID: 309678

Reply By: Foss - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:02

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:02
You could also try the 4wd Service Centre at Taren Point. I've had my 4.2Tdi Patrol seviced there several times. Always quality work, quoted prices for standard services & get the work done in the time they say they will.

Can't ask for much more than that really.

AnswerID: 47701

Sponsored Links