Birdsville Track and Cooper Creek

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 17:31
ThreadID: 107075 Views:1834 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HI All

Coming down the Birdsville track in a few weeks or so and wondering if it has been graded yet or is it about to be? Does anyone know.

Is there any water at Cooper creek crossing, I know its barely flowing up stream, just thought there may be some puddles about at the Birdsville track!!

Thanks in advance

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:51

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:51
Coley,

There won't be any water at the crossing of the Birdsville Track, but if you take the loop road to where the ferry crosses the Cooper in times of flood, there should be water there.

The Birdsville Track is only graded when necessary to repair sections damaged by flood waters and is usually in good nick, with caution at the minor creek crossings. Any problem sections will be identified with warning signs.
I am not aware of any recent problems with severe rain in the area, but ask at Birdsville and Mungerannie on the way down for any updated info.

Also, you can check changed road conditions on this site under Treks - Road Conditions. All sections of the Birdsville Track are open at present, except for the Cooper Creek Ferry Alt track (the Loop Road) which is shown as closed.
This would be because the ferry itself is not running, but the road in from the North (or South) is usually open. You would just need to back track to the Birdsville Track as there is no way to cross the water at the ferry point.

SA Deserts/Birdsville Track

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529788

Follow Up By: coley62 - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:57

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:57
Thanks Bill,
Just noted that parts of the Birdsville and Oodnadatta tracks are closed due to rain going thru in the last coupla hours, probably only for a few days so that won't worry me at the moment
Cheers
Coley
FollowupID: 812576

Sponsored Links