3 week itinerary Melbourne > Sydney

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 23:39
ThreadID: 107080 Views:1589 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
I am currently travelling through Australia and my brother is coming to visit from Germany. As you might have guessed, I am from Germany as well. I had another thread up about a trip around Sydney, but me and my brother decided that he would come to Melbourne to start from here (mostly so he can see some outbackish country).

I just bought a 2007 Nissan Patrol which will serve us as a tourer. Thus we would like to spend three weeks together in a bit of a roadtrip adventure during April.

Week 1: Melbourne > Phillip Island > Wilsons Promontory > Melbourne
Week 2: Melbourne > Great Ocean Road > Grampians > Wyperfeld > Mildura
Week 3: Mungo National Park > xxx > Bridle Track > Blue Mountains > Sydney
in total according to GoogleMaps 2771 kilometers and around 46 hours of driving

Some questions that you might be able to help me with...
A) Camping on Phillip Island - any recommendations? I think there are no free spots? Or would it be worth it to look around the Island and head out to Wilsons Promontory to camp?
B) Over the days of Eastern we will be around Mildura / Mungo National Park. Could it become very crowded?
C) Any recommendations for a campground, destinations or sights between Mungo National Park and the Blue Mountains?
D) Google Maps calculates 4 hours from Mildura to Mungo National Park - with just 170km. Is the road that bad or is it just Google Maps that dislikes outback roads?

I appreciate any help!

Cheers

Philipp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 09:21

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 09:21
G'day, a possible route for you both. Melbourne to Wilsons Prom, via Noojee/Trafalgar/Mirboo North/Meeniyan/Fish Creek, then back via Phillip Island, then to Sorrento, ferry to Queenscliff, then Great Ocean Road to, maybe add Portland/Port Fairy, then to Grampians, across to Wyperfield via Big Desert, Mildura, Mungo NP, Menindee, Broken Hill, Cobar, Dubbo, Orange, Bathurst. 2880kms roughly.

Have a great trip. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529810

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 10:54

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 10:54
Phillip,

D first
Mildura to Mungo is a doddle. Good 2WD dirt all the way, though I don't know what it's like when wet. Probably no good, as happens with most outback roads. If it is corrugated it may be slow going and also, most navigation software is very conservative when dealing with unsealed roads. Every time we've been on it it's been 80kph with a heavy trailer behind.

Bridle Track
I presume you mean the one between Hill End and Bathurst. That was closed not so long ago due to a rock/landslide. It may be open now, but check. Also, are you towing? It is very narrow towards the Hill End end with limited passing opportunities. Trailers are not recommended.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529820

Sponsored Links