Gammon Rangers Flinders Rangers SA

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 16:08
ThreadID: 107116 Views:1808 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am thinking of heading to the Northern Flinders over Easter, I have an VW Amarok and a Jayco Eagle Outback. The Parks SA web site states Grindells Hut camp site access as 4wd with camper trailers. Is the track in wide enough for a Jayco, and how rough is it? If not what is Weetootla Camp site like?.

We are set up to camp with out facilities.

Thanks for your advice

Alex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 17:13

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 17:13
Hi Alex,
Cant help re Grindells, but we did an overnighter at Weetootla in 2011. Its quite a pleasant campground, with a long drop toilet and fire rings (but not a lot of wood around). But the access track is (or was then anyway) cut through a creekbed of big stones. I dont have a photo but I think it was quite a tight track, so you would need to give the rangers a ring to find out what its like now - any flooding since then would certainly have changed it. Have dropped a couple of photos into Places.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529952

Reply By: bob&loz - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 18:06

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 18:06
We stayed at Weetootla for 4 days in 2012 and found it a great spot to base ourselves to do day trips around the rest of the area. We took our 20' van in without worry so you should have no problems with access. We went past Grindells hut on a day trip and from memory I think it is on the one way loop road which would make it not suitable if you want to explore the area while there.
If you really want to get away from the crowds, Moro Gorge is a good spot for a few days.
AnswerID: 529957

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 20:39

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 20:39
The tracks up there are graded each season if required - while some camp entry trails are very rocky, taken slowly the clearance is not a big issue. As mentioned, the Weetootla track in runs along a rocky river bed in places - we took our 18' van in 12 months ago - clearance on all sides was fine, but oncoming traffic would be an issue in some spots - a bit of backing up to find a passing place could be needed. We found Weetootla camp very dry indeed, BUT there is a walking trail that follows the creek line back into the hills - further up, the permanent springs feed decent pools of water (explaining where the abundant birds get a drink). The geology there, like most places in the Flinders, is impressive (well - to me anyway). We took the Grindell's drive in a few years back when we had a camper - bit squeezy in places due to vegetation (also along a rocky creek in places).......unless things have changed, our van wouldn't get in there.
AnswerID: 529964

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 21:31

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 21:31
This is a video clip of some of the road into Grindles Hut taken in October 2012.
Take it quietly and you will have no drama.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 529975

Reply By: Norbar - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 22:03

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 22:03
Thanks for your help, may have to give it a go.

Alex
AnswerID: 530079

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:54

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:54
Hema maps indicate for tracks whether they're high clearance. The Amarok from memory has 18 cm which is not exactly 4WD league and the loaded tow bar may reduce that.
AnswerID: 530165

Sponsored Links