Western Explorer road in Tasmania opened today

Good news for those still in Tasmania wanting to take this iconic route. Long shifts by contractors Hazell Bros Pty Ltd has seen their "by Easter" prediction exceeded.

The section of road that slipped has been completely reconstructed with preventative work undertaken to reduce the possibility of a future landslip on that section. An extended guard rail and additional signage has also been installed for safety reasons.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:35

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:35
Good -onya MH, even though you're half a world away from Tassie you keep us all informed. Itching to do that track in December but convincing the rest that it's the way to go will be a challenge.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 530067

Follow Up By: Graeme - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:17

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:17
I did that track a few years ago and was well worthwhile. Unfortunately when we were in Tassie a couple of months ago it was still under repair.
The cruise on the old wooden boat at Arthurs River was well worthwhile, but we had to backtrack to go via Waratah to get to Corinna (the punt across the river) and then south.
It is a very unique part of Tassie and spend some time there.
FollowupID: 812950

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 11:32

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 11:32
There used to be, and may still be under the new ownership, a boat trip to the heads of the Pieman River on a boat with a history. The business at Corrina has changed hands since our daughter was the "ferryman" for the Fatman barge.

There were radio and television broadcasts at the time she was there. On the radio interview (which is have on old fashioned tape deck a cassette so I can no longer play it) he told about getting and restoring the Arcardia II. For the television. daughter's partner got to captain the boat so the owner could talk about it on camera during the cruise.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 812968

Follow Up By: Allan and Rosie - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:17

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:17
Thanks for the update motherhen. I was there 2 weeks ago and could only get as far as Balfour. We decided to return to Stanley via the scenic route through Milkshake hills but found this road also closed about a third of the way in. Still had a good day out and will be going back soon to do the explorer. Regards Allan
FollowupID: 813116

Reply By: Life Member - Mike (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 15:22

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 15:22
Many thanks, am am emding the roads report!!
Too little time in the bush!
VKS 737 Mobile 0230

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 530169

Sponsored Links