What's to see in Bangalow area?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:31
ThreadID: 107285 Views:1638 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all. Heading to Nimbin tomorrow and will be heading through Bangalow from Byron bay. Any suggestions on sights to see in the Bangalow/Nimbin areas. Heard it's very nice. Will have the camper in tow, and the lovely wife and 5yo son on board.
Cheers Chriso
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 22:04

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 22:04
Macadamia Castle?
It's on the western side of the highway between Byron and Ballina - you can't miss it! I have never been there but I know many kids who have. I've just skimmed their web site and it looks like something that might appeal to all (esp the little one). Our lousy traditional Easter weather would make this a good spot because I understand they've added more shelter areas recently!
A family entry is less than $50 so I don't know how much this dents the budget.
There are some delightful National Parks in this area but the weather will probably be uncooperative.
Yeh, Nimbin's interesting but...

:) Robyn
AnswerID: 530570

Follow Up By: Member - John M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 08:16

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 08:16
Hi Chrisso

Have a visit to the Shannon Valley, they have some very interesting markets there and also some very interesting people.
At the old milk co-op and general store turn left and follow the gravel road out to a very beautiful National Park and country. A easy drive with a trailer and some beautiful flora. Even if its wet or drizzling it brings out the ambience of the locality.
I haven't been there for about 10 years but would imagine nothing has changed to much.

Enjoy this interesting place and its different lifestyle community.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813518

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 09:10

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 09:10
John

I think you mean the "Channon" not Shannon. The markets are the 2nd Sunday of the month.

Nootsa
My only comments are grab a paper map of the district (RACQ/ NRMA) and take the "back roads" which wind along the ridges and between the valleys. It is a far more beautiful drive amongst the orchards than main roads. The villages are picturesque and numerous as it was all old dairying areas prior to the 1970s, with the then subsequent influx of people seeking "alternate lifestyles" maintaining much of the village buildings.
These roads are bitimen, but narrow and windy.
Numerous waterfalls and National parks in the area

Mark
FollowupID: 813521

Reply By: jacent - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 08:14

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 08:14
Nimbin is harmless and very interesting but bear in mind everyone will try to sell you gunja (weed) or hash cookies you just say no thanks and they leave you alone!
AnswerID: 530582

Reply By: Krooznalong - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 13:19

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 13:19
Lots of old hippies to be seen!
Nimbin Rocks - old volcanic plugs not far from town.
Nimbin Markets and arty crafty places in town
Minyon Falls
Ah The Channon... I recall giving a hippy chick a lift many years ago and ended up dropping her off at a commune there. Lots of nakedness :-)
AnswerID: 530606

Reply By: PaulKaren - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 19:51

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 19:51
Hi,

Personally with a 5 y.o i wouldnt plan to spend too long in Nimbin itslef...Its harmless and worth a look and a laugh but its not for everybody...Lots of great countryside around there as all the others have said...Minyon Falls definitley worth a look and then on to Mount Warning if thats your thing? Enjoy....
AnswerID: 530644

Reply By: Simon C - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 13:13

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 13:13
Possibly a little late...but look for Crystal Castle (near Mullumbimby). Some interesting and large statues carved out of Jade, and lovely gardens ect. Was free entry????
AnswerID: 530679

Reply By: Pushy - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 16:01

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 16:01
get a copy of the Qld Country Life or the Qld Smart Farmer as they have done a big spread on the district
AnswerID: 530688

Sponsored Links