overhead console for gu

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 18:58
ThreadID: 10733 Views:1759 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
goodday all had a look thru previous posts to see if anybody has fitted there own o/h console in a gu if so how did you remove existing map lights / sunglass holder etc without doing any damage if anybody has this bit of expereince could they pass it on as i am trying not to damage any parts as theuy might have to go back 1 day

steveimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:10

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:10
Steve,
If you've already bought the console, it should have come with comprehensive instructions about all that needs to be done. If not, I'd be getting the supplier on the blower and asking them the question.
With my GU, I opted for a dashpod made by The Dept of the Interior in Sydney. It was real easy to fit and required no holes to be drilled etc. I think their over head console is the same idea.
I would be surprised if there isn't screws holding the sunglass holder etc in place, although I've never taken mine apart. I have removed the mirror, which was real easy; the little plastic cover just unclips to expose the 2 screws holding the mirror in place, but this doesn't seem to make the rest of that fitting come loose. There is probably a screw/s in the sunglass holder compartment....
Good luck
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 47769

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:20

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:20
Steve,
I had exactly the same problem when I fiited mine. Basically take out the screws from up inside the sunglasses holder, then take one brave pill and pull firmly but gently (?) downwards at the corners. There are those metal sprung things that wedge into a hole and pop in and out. Maybe use a wide thin piece of metal (like an old plane blade) to help pull down. Once you get the first one you'll see what you're up against, if you cant get the first one try another it may come away more easily
AnswerID: 47771

Follow Up By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:25

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:25
The mirror thing makes no diff just leave it
FollowupID: 309724

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:30

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:30
Steve,

I would assume you want to put a radio in the over head console? The main reason I have not gone that way is the weight factor. However to-days radios are a lot lighter, but my main concern would be the hand microphone cable hanging down in my peripheral vision. The map lights and sunglass holder should down without to much trouble. Longer screws might be needed for the installation of the over head console.

Wayne Always Out'N About
AnswerID: 47775

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:45

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:45
thanks guys i think andrews answer may solve my problem

AnswerID: 47777

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 22:07

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 22:07
I just took a console out as I had another radio system I wanted to use. Mine suspended between the sunglass console and centre interior light but all lights were still operable. The instructions above are correct. My console had two radios. I will sell you the console and 47mg UHF Unidend radio if they are any good to you, $100 the lot + postage, let me know if you are interested at email: cocka2000@optusnet.com.au
Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 47796

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 19:15

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 19:15
thanks cocka i already have allthe bits including uhf radio am hoping that a hf mihgt appear for my birthday its a long shot but i keeping passing hints

FollowupID: 309855

Reply By: lazylcd - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 00:54

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 00:54
check this site out, might help a lil.

www.consoles.com
AnswerID: 47814

Sponsored Links