Review: EOTopo 200K

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 4/5

Received with many thanks.
What do I get for my $100 investment? I am asked not to comment on postage costs for an SD card, so I will reserve that comment for another forum.
I do very much appreciate the effort that has gone into creating this mapping. It is expected a few errors and omissions would surface for such an early issue and there are a few in my area alone. Scouring around Australia for my favourite spots uncovered quite a few. However, further cross checking from the creator will no doubt correct these over time.
I was hoping this would replace my old 250K series, but there is somewhat more information on the old maps, so I have had to squeeze the new one in and keep the old ones. That being the case, the EOTopo maps are now my reference maps, then I refer to my old maps for additional information if there is any. I mostly use my 25K and 100K maps, but favour the EOTopo maps for general perusing.
I very much like the graphics used, and the clarity of the image.
I would like to see at least four major updates a year to justify the investment, and it would have been an advantage to have the mapping structured so that any updates could be made online. There is quite a deal of upgrading of the National Highway 1 on the east coast of Australia, hence the need for regular updates. The duplicating of the Hume Highway is now complete, so, the Holbrook Bypass is the only section that the new map has left out in the latest update, and that was completed last year.
I use my maps on a daily basis and I might sound a little harsh with my appraisal, but once it the new mapping catches up with the flow, I am confident it well could be the reference mapping for most map users. Many thanks for it's creator(s), a great effort. I will be enjoying using EOTopo for a long time to come.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links