Great Ocean Road

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 15:20
ThreadID: 107437 Views:1960 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone. Looking at travelling the Great Ocean Road in a 22ft caravan, towed by a twin cab Colorado. Wondering if there are any suggestions and if any one else has towed a large van along it? Thought we would travel East to West, and intend to do some free camping. Are we better to stay in several places for a few days along the way and do day trips or should we just travel and look as we go, stopping wherever we feel? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, what would be the best time to travel? We were thinking maybe September/October?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 17:32

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 17:32
Having done this trip a few years ago I would suggest setting up in a park somewhere and do day trips to see all there is to see in each area along the way, then move on to the next base. That way you will have covered all the highlights, so to speak, as you go.

I have stayed at the Erskine River Caravan Park in Lorne and day tripped that area and then moved on to Peterborough to do the next stage staying several days at each location.

There is plenty to see and do from Sorrento to Port Fairy and beyond to Mount Gambier.

Make sure you check out the Maritime Museum in Warnambool.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531125

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 17:34

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 17:34
I should have added that the road is not suitable for frequent stopping with a van on the back. A single car yes, but not towing a van unfortunately.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 814143

Reply By: Member - Granty55 - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 18:21

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 18:21
Living in Geelong, I know the area fairly well, it's a great drive, take it easy and you should have no worries with your van, it's a busy road, with it's fair share of trucks and tourist coaches, plenty of slow vehicle pull over areas so you won't hold the traffic up. It would pay to base yourself in towns along the way, then travel back to the scenic points and lookouts as there is only limited space in these areas especially between Anglesea and Apollo Bay. Take some time to explore the Bellarine Peninsula and Geelong before heading down the GOR. If you are into some 4 wheel driving there are plenty of very scenic tracks throughout the Otway Ranges. Cape Otway Lighthouse is worth a visit as is the Otway Fly. Then there are the Twelve Apostles etc around Port Campbell. There are plenty of caravan parks along the way, but there won't be many opportunities to free camp. Don't know how far west you intend to travel, the Great Ocean Road officially ends at Warrnambool, but right along the west coast to the border is a great drive. Sept/Oct would be a good time to visit, but during the school holidays it gets very busy down that way.
AnswerID: 531129

Reply By: bockstar1 - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:23

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:23
We did it September October last year. Take some warm clothes as it was cold. As others have said, base yourself and then do day trips. The caravan park at Lorne is a bit ordinary. During the 3 days we were there, the toilets were not cleaned once.
AnswerID: 531158

Reply By: Member - Wozikev - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:28

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:28
We did East to West last month with a 22 ft van on our way home from Tassie. We found it very worthwhile and very scenic. There aren't a lot of oportunities to stop to take in the sights on some sections and you need to be sensible about where you do stop. We found the road deteriorated to very rough on the inland section. Not holey, just a very uneven surface that tries to tear the back out of your 4WD. So nice and steady is the go. Camps are scarce along this road unless you want a van park in town. We overnighted at what we call a 'blue metal camp' just out of Youlong (38.44.49S 143.16.58E). Clean under foot and out of sight of the road and the road went quiet after dark anyway. Not a bad spot. I recomend you do it, just take it nice and steady.

Cheers ....................................... Kev.
AnswerID: 531166

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:48

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:48
We hauled similar van through their in Feb, found it difficult to pull over to do the photographs & explore as the traffic was challenging and the crowds at car parking spots along the way unbelievable.

Would suggest the best idea is to haul to various locations, park up, unhook and venture out to make it worth while, or you may miss a fair bit as we did.

As it is, we will have another crack at it and be better planned, it is a area full of attractions, worthy of putting some effort into the trip.

Happy travelling.... Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531180

Reply By: Kimber77 - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:03

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:03
We done this trip several years ago from Sydney. Went down the coast road across the bay to Queens Cliff travelled through to Warrnabool then up to the Grampions back to Ballarat then back to Sydney. We had agreat trip and suggest you stay at the main parks this was in July still cold at nights but very few tourist.

Roy & Fiona.
AnswerID: 531189

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:57

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:57
Hi,
We live near the Great Ocean Road and would suggest March as the best time to visit as far as the weather goes.

We would Park the van in Caravan Parks or National Parks where secure but still lock it up well & only take the vehicle.Theft is happening everywhere now, mainly from off of the van & around it like chairs.

Many who drive on the Great Ocean Road don't know what side to drive on & Motor bikes swerve in & out at speed.
Some of the waterfall walks are spectacular but they can be a long walk so get the paperwork & plan well. Take care, safe travels.Ma.
FollowupID: 814203

Sponsored Links