Help

We are looking to buy a second hand van .. No experience as we have only ever had our camper trailer ,, budget of $20,000 .. So confusing out there .. Ideas ?? Input .. Saw a jayco freedom 2004 twin axel ..looks good but saw bad reviews ... Scared to buy a lemon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Meridith D - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:21

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:21
Are you looking for a full van or pop top?
We have just bought a 2000 Roma 19'6 full sized van for $24000 with a combined shower/toilet. It's in excellent condition for it's age. After having 2 Jayco Eagle campers, we vowed not to get another Jayco. They are just lightly built - cupboards opening even on highway travel etc. Mind you, there are alot out there, just not for us. Also, even though we got repair work done by Jayco for a cracked roof piece (the camper was out of warranty time), we had to wait about 2 months to get in. I can't speak about older (maybe more robust?) Jaycos.
There are alot of vans without showers/toilets in your price range. We looked at quite a few and you know pretty quickly if it looks wornout or tatty.
AnswerID: 531170

Follow Up By: Debra B2 - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:28

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:28
Either or but prob pop top !! But only top not out !! But full van ok too !! Mmmmm see have heard this about jayco !
FollowupID: 814190

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:34

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:34
I don't want to put you off but have a look on the caravanersforum.com.
This will give you an idea of what to look out for.
Caravan Horror Stories

If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531178

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:53

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:53
And if you're thinking it'll never happen to you then make sure both of you do an advanced drivers course or upgrade your license.

So many people get behind the wheel of a combination that weighs twice what they're used to safe in the knowledge it could never happen to them.

Those people are the problem and unfortunately it is the majority. Do some towing of a large setup under instruction or guidance then work out what style you will be comfortable with. And I mean both of you. Pointless only 1 being able to back a long trailer. What happens if the only driver breaks a leg?

And again, that is the majority. They are accidents waiting to happen. Can't wait for the introduction of licensing to tow anything bigger that a garden trailer.
FollowupID: 814197

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:16

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:16
Hi Debra

Your best investment before purchasing, be it second hand or new, is the new book Caravan Buyers Guide, available here in the EO bookshop. For less than $40, the knowledge gained could save you thousands.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531232

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 19:15

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 19:15
Before you do anything else...follow the advice of John and Regina as well as Motherhen. It will boost your confidence when towing, give you confidence when buying and also give you knowledge of what to look for.

As stated ..there are way too many people out there who really need educating when it comes to handling a caravan.

Good luck..
AnswerID: 531281

Sponsored Links