Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:50

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:50
The Mereenie Loop is an unsealed track that varies with weather conditions and heavy use. Road trains are frequent users and the track can become fairly corrugated.
Unless you have an off-road van, I would stick to sealed roads.

On the other hand, the Mereenie Loop can reduce traveling time and is an interesting drive.
From memory, the scenery is no different than anywhere else, but we enjoyed the trip along it and have the novelty of a permit/brochure to keep as a memento of our "paid toll road".

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531196

Follow Up By: Deborah H - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:58

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:58
Hi Roy & Fiona,

Agree with Bill here. It was heavily corrugated when we travelled the loop 12 months ago.

That said, camping at Palm Valley was a highlight for us as was the hike and swim to Redbank Gorge. We have a camper trailer but travelled with friends who both had caravans. One was an off-road Jayco and the other an on-road Rapid. Both had no issues and went everywhere we did.

Drive to the conditions and enjoy the bumps...it's all part of the journey!

Hope the information is useful and have a safe and fun trip!!

RED

FollowupID: 814228

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:05

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:05
Hi Roy and Fiona

Unless it is a dedicated off road caravan, don't risk it. Take the "long way" round on the bitumen. It is a pleasant drive, but so are the other roads in the area. Depending on the condition of the Loop on the day, you will take a similar time either way.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531230

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 08:28

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 08:28
Hi Roy & Fiona
As the others have said, it can be a very rough track. We put a hole in one of my Koni shocks last time around, and they are bullet proof.
Cheers
Rick P
AnswerID: 531310

Reply By: TD100GXL - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 10:33

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 10:33
Hi Roy & Fiona,

We travelled the Meerenie Loop 4 weeks ago, just after it had been closed for a few days after heavy rain in the area. We were towing our Jayco outback dove camper which is good for many tracks but is not a serious off roader. The track was pretty corrugated and stoney but for much of it we were able to sit on about 60km/h and everything survived ok. I always let some air from the tyres on these corrugated stony roads (both car and camper) which softens the ride and helps prevent punctures so take your time and drive to the conditions. I think the flying stones are likely to cause the most damage (to the camper / van or rear of your car) so good stone protection is important.
The loop drive is very pretty, changing landscape and lots of horses. Goss Bluff is worth a look between Kings Canyon and the West Mac's. We camped at Redbank Gorge for 2 nights (great sites, well set up and great swim if you make the effort to walk to the gorge) & Ormiston for 1 night (busier but still great spot).

Enjoy your trip it is a lovely area.
Cheers Stuart
AnswerID: 532149

Sponsored Links