Bush Mechanic /Cook ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 16:04
ThreadID: 10755 Views:2161 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Well thanks to all the people who answered my last post re employment. As some of you know you will be working here soon. What we still don't have is a mechanic, must be bush inventive ( must be single) for here and a cook (single) for one of the other places. Normally the single is due to accommodation but now it is also because there is no job for a partner at present either. I know this is a tall order but just thought I'd throw it in again to keep you mentioning it to a few mates who may know someone.
Got another 35 mm rain this morning and down at Mt Barnett I heard they got about 65mm. The Drysdale River is quite high now, hard to fish into the grass !.
cheers, AnneDrysdale River Station
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie Sydney - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 16:20

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 16:20
Hi Anne ,
You reminded me of one of my more crazy ideas when you mentioned the Drysdale where I went fishing with Alligator Airways many years ago . I was sick of fishing and started digging out some deep holes full of pebbles - and I was very excited when I found diamonds - well they did scratch glass , but they did not impress the geologist who laughing told me they were beautiful quartz crystals .
I must come up and collect some more one day .
If I was young and unwed I would love to be your new cook . What a great place to live . But alas ..........
WillieWishun I was fishun
AnswerID: 47892

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 18:37

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 18:37
Had too laugh, I collect rocks and have done the same as you before now, then I had the chance to see a proper one uncut, quite a big difference they have a funny oily look. Real good quartz crystals are not that common.
Have fished the mouth of the Drysdale from the land years ago. We only had a small flat bottom punt then and had to stay close to shore and couldn't get up to the camp. Great fishing, worst sandflies I have ever seen anywhere and I have spent my life fishing.
One day I will get to the Alligator camp, have only flown over so far. Fantastic place, bet the fishing was tops at those rocks upstream where the fresh water joins the salt. I wish I was fishun to.
cheers, AnneDrysdale River Station
FollowupID: 309843

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 20:49

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 20:49
Yeah Willie......Alongside the track between Theda Station and the Carson River Escarpment I came upon a hill covered in wonderful shiny stones. Half thinking that we might have fulfilled our dreams I grabbed a pocketful only to be told by a geologist that they were worthless crystals. Oh well I was never in the running to be wealthy.............

Cheers,Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
FollowupID: 309871

Reply By: Member - Willie Sydney - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 11:19

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 11:19
Anne ,
Yes we were fishing right at the first waterfall at the camp . Also between the camp and the waterfall there is a small creek with lovelly crystal clear water in it where I used to swim . It became known as "Willie's Wallow " One day while wallowing I looked up at the rock next to me and there was a big garnet crystal
sitting half out of the surface . Just a little wiggle and it came out . Great !
We caught so many Qeanies on fly out the front that we got sick of them . And the flight in on the Beaver was a memory that I will always keep .
Paradise ( with sandflies ! )
WillieWishun I was fishun
AnswerID: 48003

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 14:44

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 14:44
Hi, i class myself as a pretty good bush mechanic, and will try to fix anything.
I did my time at caterpillar in sydney, worked at a diesel repair shop for a while, had various other jobs, rebuilt many cars, now build the outback battery chargers, have all welding certificates, also have a diploma in engineering.
I will be leaving in early April, but will be travelling with a partner.
Is there any other stations you know of that may need 2 people?
My girlfriend is not the type to do housework, shed rather be in the workshop, or chasing scrub bulls through the bush!
My email adress is:
christie_eng@optusnet.com.au
Thanks,
Michael Christie
AnswerID: 48042

Sponsored Links