Emerald / Gemfields, info wanted.

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2014 at 10:47
ThreadID: 107743 Views:1972 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Used to visit here as a kid and 30 + years on I would like to go back and find a few gems.
I need some info on places to go, businesses to visit, any hire equipment available or tours available ect to get me into some wash.
I'm sure a lot has changed over the years, but would like to make the most of the few days we will be there.

any info would be great.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter T9 - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 12:33

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 12:33
Just google Anakie and Rubyvale.
AnswerID: 532336

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:04

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:04
Just spent a week in Rubyvale staying at the Gemseekers Caravan Park. Lovely park, quiet and close to town centre. They have two Willoughby's sent up for clients to use - bring your own wash back to the park and sieve it there. Owners very nice and have lots of info on where to go etc.

There are some 9300 hectares of 'common' you can both camp and fossick on here between Rubyvale and Sapphire, the rates for a camping and fossicking permits are very little. The Gem Gallery has a brilliant display and the best café in town for excellent lunches.

I have written an article on the gem fields, will be published in Caravan World mag in a few months time and another in Gold Gem and Treasure mag - about the same time frame.

Enjoy John and Jean

AnswerID: 532345

Reply By: Pushy - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 08:43

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 08:43
The gem fields have changed since your last visit. The main difference is that there are no large commercial operators. We stayed at Rubyvale a few years ago, the pub is really good.

There are a few places to hire equipment and there are a couple of tour operators.

There is a demo mine where I think can give the kids a go and they guarantee there are gems to be found. All very touristy though.

Just walk the street and visit the various shops. Just be careful they are all ready to rip off the innocent visitor.

Most of the ground has been gone over previously just be careful if you go out onto the leased areas, they are eye openers but the lessees are very suspicious. We met a father and 2 sons who had an underground mine. The father told us he was legally blind but was driving around in a ute.

After we told him that my wife's family once lived on the gemfields he agreed to show us his mine.

AnswerID: 532393

Sponsored Links