sunset national park

Submitted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 12:32
ThreadID: 107969 Views:1716 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
I was hoping someone could tell me a good place to set up camp to explore the sunset national park in nth west Victoria
its a very large area ,could I go out on day trips from camp or do I need to pack up and move every day
I would also appreciate some of the best parts of the park to see

dennis
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pradobob - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 14:00

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 14:00
G'day bigden,
There are lots of good spots on the Lindsay Island part, although the track in is a bit confusing in places. Some nice clearings near the river. Generally head towards Lock 7?
If it looks like rain, you need to get out of there quickly, as the clay turns to "baby poo" in no time.
Normally there would be no reason to move every day.
Bob
AnswerID: 533243

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 15:32

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 15:32
Hi Bigden,
We do lots of 4wding in that park & just find any nice place to camp.

If you carry plenty of water you just need to find a nice shady spot. Also start looking early afternoon to give you plenty of time to setup & relax by a nice fire.

As someone said if it rains look out. The claypans become treacherous & will see you doing lots of track damage & having little control over your steering direction.

Enjoy what is a beautiful part of Victoria.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 533248

Follow Up By: bigden - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 16:18

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 16:18
thanks for that, Lindsay island might be a bit far to explore the park in a few days.
stu, is there any recommended place to set up a base to go out from each day?
FollowupID: 816578

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 17:55

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 17:55
Rocket Lake (dry) is nice camping under the Bulloke trees.
Mopoke hut or Mt Crozier may be the best as far as being central.
To be honest we just setup any where that takes our fancy as we are fully self sufficient.
Plenty of spots in the claypans with nice shade.

We usually go in Spring for the wildflowers so we don't cover any large distances each day due to all the photo stops so a base camp does not suit us.

Here is some info for you.

Murray sunset
FollowupID: 816588

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 18:13

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 18:13
We did a run through there last year, stayed at the shearers quarters.

Very good value, and allowed a day doing a loop up to Lindsay Is area, back through Meringur which is very worth while to spend a few hours looking through the pioneer village (and that only allows enough time to skim over it all really).

Next day we did Rocket Lake, and down through Mopoke hut, Mt Crozier, Lake Crosby, then a wild drive west to the Border Track near Boltons, for a drive out south to the highway and back to Adelaide (but that was a very long day).
AnswerID: 533252

Reply By: bigden - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 21:04

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 21:04
thanks everyone,
you've given me a few ideas
AnswerID: 533272

Reply By: Member - Magic (VIC) - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 07:25

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 07:25
We've spent a good deal of time there over the years and would definitely recommend Mt Crozier as a central base. It's probably the most attractive of the camp grounds with fireplaces, tables and a drop toilet. Plenty of space too. Enjoy this beautiful area. We love it!
AnswerID: 533288

Sponsored Links