Comment: Buying a Camper Trailer

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 23:12
ThreadID: 108075 Views:2649 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum and am looking to buy my first camper trailer. My partner and I are planning a few different trips and want something that we can take off road with our patrol.
Does anyone have any hints or suggestions for us?
Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 06:48

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 06:48
Hi Jeremy

A couple of things you need to work through:

1. What's your budget going to be, and
2. How much "off road" is that going to be.

If you're talking lots of offroad work, then you'll need to have something quite heavy duty - and probably more expensive. If it's just light offroad stuff (forest trails and beach work etc) then maybe something a little lighter duty. Of course then there's the type of camper trailer - soft floor, hard floor etc etc etc.

I'd be working out your budget then heading off to the next Caravan & Camping show to see what's around!

Chris
AnswerID: 533633

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 08:15

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 08:15
There's lots of good info here and on the associated forums:http://www.campertrailers.org/

I strongly advise you try first by renting. There are lots of variations in design and there's no substitute for experience in order to choose between them.
AnswerID: 533637

Follow Up By: bockstar1 - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 08:23

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 08:23
I'd endorse this approach. We rented off the Challenge crowd in Sydney and then we ended up buying the unit we rented.
FollowupID: 817052

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 10:56
Good advice here, hire one first and then decide. At least them you won't have taken the plunge and spent thousands only to find out you've bought something that isn't quite suited to your needs. Something I wish we did first :-(
FollowupID: 817063

Follow Up By: Member - Lester77 - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 15:31
That's what we did. There are a couple of business members on here that offer discounts too
FollowupID: 817139

Reply By: Peter T9 - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 08:23

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 08:23
Jump on the MySwag forum

http://www.myswag.org/index.php

Heaps of info specific to camper trailers.
AnswerID: 533638

Reply By: Trickster LC GX - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 16:46

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 16:46
Hi Jeremy

Renting is good but depending on how much camping/travelling you have had, most of the best research can be done "on the road" with a wealth of knowledge and experience in every camping/caravan spot.

My option - Depends on space, I would go a hard floor camper and most soft floor ones "can be" just as much work as a tent. Some/most of the "hard" floor version have floors that can be levelled for uneven ground which is actually more helpful and comfortable than you would think.

Questions:

Water/Dust Proof
Hard/Soft Floor
Solar or 240V
Suspension/Tyres
Position of Spare Tyre
Tow Ball Weight and Overall Weight
Water
Hot Water
Hand Pump/12V Pump
External/Internal Storage
Fridge Space/Generator Space
Kitchen Style/ Pantry
Lightning
Awnings that can stay on (when packed up)
Add On's: Bike Rack, Jerry Can Holders, Fire Wood Holders/Storage, Additional Spare Tyres?, Awning Walls. Battery Management Systems. Water Tank Gauges, Hitch upgrades.

And the list goes on. We started in a tent and saw people in a soft floor camper pull up and already have dinner cooked and we were still setting up. Got a soft floor camper and then saw someone rock up in a pop-top and went - oh isent that good. Got a Jayco Swan "Out-back????" well then some-one rocks up in a caravan. Moral to the story is there is always something better out there.

Have a budget - the create a list of wants rating from 1 to 10 and try to get as many things on the list that you can. You can spend tens of thousands of dollars and still see more stuff you want - remember it is not about the van but the adventure you will have and the people and friends for life you will meet.

Cheers K
AnswerID: 533742

Sponsored Links