Redarc Tow-Pro

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 14:38
ThreadID: 108119 Views:10724 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any comments yet on the new Redarc Tow-Pro brake controller?
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Bludge - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:26

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:26
People I know at Tow Ed in Sydney have been trailing one for a while and they say its a great unit. If you want to talk to John or Julie bout it 02 8822 5633
AnswerID: 533807

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:33

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:33
How typical, no bloody links!

http://www.redarc.com.au/products/product/tow-pro/

http://www.redarc.com.au/news/world_breakthrough_for_redarc/
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 533810

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 06:13

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 06:13
Finally! I had a Redarc and thought it was downright dangerous. Now Redarc have updated to an accelerometer. They appear to have done a good job.

Small front panel mount, mix of accelerometer and manual should bbe great for off road.

Can't wait to see what it really retails for, $300 is a bit steep to change from a working Tekonsha P3
AnswerID: 533814

Reply By: Member - Ajay and Fletch - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 10:04

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 10:04
Good Morning,

I have a Redarc controller in my 2012 200 Sahara and I think that it is suitable only for those amongst us who have the reflexes of a cat and the ability to foresee the future. It was there when I bought the vehicle. The amount of braking is set by turning the knob and if you have it set for 50%, 75%, 100%, 25% or whatever you decide is suitable for the conditions in which you are travelling, that is how much braking is delivered from the moment your brake lights come on. There is no progressive braking with the model fitted to my car so I have purchased a Teckonsha Prodigy P3 ($164.00 on line) controller to replace the Redarc. I am getting on a bit and do not have the required capabilities to safely tow with the Redarc unit. I had a Prodigy P3 in my previous 100 series and it was brilliant.

Regards ...
Ajay & Fletch with BT in tow.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 533830

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 13:44

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 13:44
Good to see that Redarc have finally seen the light and introduced a proportional controller. Being a remote unit it could prove to be very popular.
I look forward to reading some customer reviews over the following months/years.
Only problem I can see is that many dealers/sparkies etc will still be holding stock of the older NON proportional model and customers could be caught out if they don't specifically demand the Tow Pro model.
Hopefully they'll drop all their current models of non proportional controllers, but doubt it as I can see them still selling to the uneducated tower, budget conscious or the downright stinggy.
Ozjohn.
AnswerID: 533845

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 11:53

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 11:53
Got one supplied a few weeks ago for testing, fitted it in our Ranger in place of there older version.

My partner used it last Friday for the first time to tow our Ultimate camper (she set it up herself and found it very easy to set and use), from all reports it's great and in many cases better then the Tekonsha P3 we use and had reconmended in the 200 series.

Fitting wise a piece of cake and set up a little different to the other controllers, but if you FOLLOW the instructions you won't have a problem.

This is going to be the controller to have, for so many years we have preferred the Tekonsha and only fitted Redarc in vehicles where installation was a issue, with this new Redarc Tow Pro brake controller the Tekonsha is going to take a back seat....... Price wise at the moment they are much a muchness.

If your not happy with it I would find it very hard to believe.
AnswerID: 533918

Sponsored Links