Topender and 79 Series

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 09:23
ThreadID: 108184 Views:2003 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the market for an off road type van and have long been considering a Top Ender by Kedron because of all the features that allow an independent existence. It will also be my "home". Several days ago I inspected a Top Ender for the first time and was overwhelmed by the sheer MASS of these vans to the extent that I now question the wisdom of putting one of these vans behind my little 79 Series cab/chassis. Are there any Members out there who have towed one of these vans with the 79 cab/chassis----and how did it go? Thank you in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wholehog - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 12:43

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 12:43
Looked at them myself many times, near bought one.

Be very careful of the ball weight, check the 21 footer with a scale, and allow for the water, particularly if it is 2 tanks in front of front axle and 1 behind the rear axle.

Check the internal of the cabinetry/cupboards for square, fit and quality. Sad to say, but you might find better on a Jayco.

As long as the wet/loaded mass is under 3500kg, you'll be right...but watch the ball weight on the heaviest Kedron......
AnswerID: 534070

Follow Up By: Member - Donnyj - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 09:07

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 09:07
Wholehog, thank you for your comments. After submitting my post yesterday, I did a bit more research and actually found an old thread on this site on towball weights and the weight of tow vehicle versus caravan and that thread spooked me a little more. I'm really feeling that my cab/chassis with standard suspension (plus airbags) would be a bit dangerous in front of a Top Ender. The Top Ender that I looked at last week had the two tanks in front of axles and one tank behind and the cupboards etc all seemed square, was in excellent order generally, but clearly a very heavy van. Still thinking!
FollowupID: 817664

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 13:51

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 13:51
Hope it is not to late for you to look at other makers, as we to looked around for a off roader we would be happy with, decided on a Explorex, he is having an end of financial year sale advertised on this site as well. We went with the Gibb River model not to big not to small, to early to give a review.
AnswerID: 534074

Follow Up By: Member - Donnyj - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 09:21

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 09:21
Thanks KBAD. I checked out the Explorex website. Pretty impressive vans! But a bit far away for me and one doesn't see them yet as 2nd hand vans. My very great preference is to obtain a used van. In my farming life, I nearly always obtained "used" equipment and always had a positive experience. Let someone else pay that initial burst of depreciation! I have looked at other makes of van, but I seem to end up back at Kedron. Over recent years (without actually setting eyes on a Top Ender) I've been able to speak to a few Kedron owners and without exception, they have been very happy campers. So for the time being I'll stay with Kedron, but I think, start looking at the lighter vans.
FollowupID: 817665

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 17:43

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 17:43
Hi Donnyj,

A timely post, although I cannot help with your tow vehicle we have just purchased a Kedron Top Ender.
Of course it all depends on what you want with your caravan however we looked at heaps of 'off road' vans and kept coming back to the Kedron.

We have just come back from a weeks 'shake down' trip and just could not be happier.

Sure they are heavy but that is part of the price you pay for all the goodies that go into them.

300lt water/solar panels/ heavy duty chassis/etc etc (you would have done your own homework)

We just love the ease of travel, stop where and whenever you want...cook on the BBQ (or on the fire) shower -with heaps of hot water- toilet facilities, maybe watch a bit of TV...cold? no problem turn the diesel heater on (happy wife, happy life)
Tired, pop into the queen bed (with a decent mattress) and snooze away.

Faults, yep it is heavy but at this stage hard pressed to name anything else..

Would just add that we tow with an F250 and do not have a problem towing at 100kmh...

MM me if you would like any more info..
rgds
Michael J
AnswerID: 534086

Reply By: Member - John F (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 22:43

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 22:43
Hi Donny it maybe worth your while going to the Kedron owner Group website and ask the question if the 79 cab / chassis is suitable to tow. I am sure there are members that tow with vehicles such as yours.
We purchased our 21' ATV Kedron last year and tow with a 100 series turbo diesel which handles well. We could not be happier with our van. Any van you look at with all of the TE options will come in at around the same weight.
Warm Regards
John
AnswerID: 534159

Follow Up By: Member - Donnyj - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:23
Thank you for that! I didn't realise that Kedron owners had their own "group" and a website. I'll follow that up.
FollowupID: 817751

Reply By: A J - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 07:56

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 07:56
Donnyj - have you considered the trakmaster range of caravans built in Victoria. They are all off road vans and rate well for build quality.

A friend of ours has had one for 10 years and still looks good, travels well and if he wanted to sell it he would get the price he paid for it.

Currently looking at have one built for our 79 series.

A J

AnswerID: 534162

Follow Up By: Member - Donnyj - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:29

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:29
No----I haven't noticed Trakmaster. I'll follow that up, as well. Thanks for the tip. I will get this sorted!!!!
FollowupID: 817752

Sponsored Links