Corner Country

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 20:41
ThreadID: 108227 Views:2166 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm organising a trip from Broken Hill to Cameron Corner up the Strzelecki to Birdsville and down the Birdsville Track into the North Flinders Ranges the South Flinders Ranges. I'll be towing a light off road van (tow vehicle is a Pathfinder), friends are towing a off road Jayco Expander, two other friends are hiring 4WD small motorhomes. We will be leaving Broken Hill the second week of August.

Has anyone got on tips the tyre pressures along the 'tracks'. Any other hints about the trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 21:06

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 21:06
I wouldn't be towing and would run somewhere in the mid 20's on those tracks. I would also be cruising around 80 kph where possible. Towing might change the numbers depending on the weights involved. The psi might rise a little and the kph might fall a little. The car will tell you if you listen. All cars and vans are different. Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 534257

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:28

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:28
I've done Channel Country tracks with a light off-road CT and Forester and air down by 30% on the recommended pressures. So a loaded towing setup and LT tyre construction means a rear of around 30 psi.

Other hints: a light rainfall can lead to track closure so stay flexible. Be prepared to wait and play around where you are or to re-route.
AnswerID: 534278

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:33

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:33
Also there's a semi bush camp on the SE side of Tibooburra that's a nice place to stop o/n. It's got shower, dunny and barbie. A fee is payable. For directions ask at the servo on the south side of town or in business hours at the Aboriginal land council office closer in to Tib central where you can pay your money.

And don't miss the murals in the pub.
FollowupID: 817877

Sponsored Links