Suggestions from Sydney Siders please

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:48
ThreadID: 108305 Views:1745 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am taking tomorrow off as it is (lamentably) my 65th Birthday and the Love Of My Life has got together a pretty nice picnic with Chinese BBQ duck and other stuff.

The plan is to find a nice creek in the bush somewhere and enjoy each other's company and this amazing picnic lunch. The trouble is that I don't have a destination.

Can anyone help out with a 4WD destination by some water that is about two hours or so from the Sydney CBD? A bit of low range would make it perfect.

In the interests of matrimonial harmony, two hours or so is the limit. I'd appreciate any suggestions. We have a capable vehicle, albeit with an old fart as the driver.

Cheers and thanks in anticipation....
Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:51

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:51
Sorry all,
I meant "Sydney-Siders".
AnswerID: 534588

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 19:06

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 19:06
Keith,

What about the camp ground on Megalong Creek? Probably about 2 hours from the city, and views to die for.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 818290

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 21:26

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 21:26
A good spot for smoko, Keith, is in Blackheath Glen, just as you get into the start of Megalong Valley, a click or two down from Bleakhea....oh, sorry, Blackheath.

It's a magic little spot, almost sub-tropical and cool, if the sun is out. If it's not, then it will be brisk.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818307

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 23:32
BobY
He is only 65 and not ready for the final journey just yet, so views to die for is a bit premature I reckon.
He did say, "taking off" but the air under his wings shouldn't be on Angels wings.
FollowupID: 818316

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:01

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:01
Ha ha, that thought did occur to me too, Ross. Then I thought, well he's younger than me (by a couple of years), so he should be right.

Now all this talk of blue pills, picnic rugs etc has me a little concerned. Perhaps Racinrob's suggestion of Audley might be the safer option.....health wise :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818340

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 13:18

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 13:18
Happy Birthday Keith. Hope your day went off well?

Just for the future, another idyllic spot, though no creeks afaik, is the Blue Mountains Botanical Gardens at Mount Tomah, on Bell's Line of Road. Beautiful area, and climate's not too bad if the sun's shining.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818350

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 20:30

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 20:30
Sounds lovely and Thank You Bob.
I have advised my Child Bride (aged 53) of your suggestion and now she is talking about wearing something provocative and packing a picnic rug!!!
I think I might have to take one of the blue heart tablets she gets for me.
K

AnswerID: 534591

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 21:23

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 21:23
Yeah those tablets really get your blood pumping. However, they can cause it to go to fast, so IMHO I would also take a tablet to control high blood pressure.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818306

Follow Up By: sweetwill - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 09:51

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 09:51
Hello Keithb.
those blue pills really worked for me, I haven't fallen out of bed since I started taking them.
FollowupID: 818327

Reply By: Bigfish - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 06:16

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 06:16
Mate,,,have a great day with your wife. Sounds like you are a great couple. Happy Birthday..enjoy
AnswerID: 534610

Reply By: racinrob - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 08:04

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 08:04
Keith, Audley in the Royal National Park on the southern side of Sydney is your best bet, less than an hour from the CBD and the choice of several or more choice quiet picnic spots.
Rob.
AnswerID: 534614

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 21:25

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 21:25
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We go to Audley all the time and wanted something new. Blackheath Glen was a bit close to the local town and I couldn't find the Megalong Creek camp ground on the map. Plus we wanted a bit of a 4WD thing with maybe a bit of low range.

So I decided to use something which I had imagined had long since left me - my initiative - and went into a Google frenzy - one of the few kinds of frenzy that I go into these days.

So we went up to Kurragong and then into the Blue Mountains National Park , down into the Burralow Valley then to Mountain Lagoon after a short stint on the Bells Line of road. Then it was a lovely lunch (of the aforesaid description) with my girl at the Wheewny Creek picnic ground in the Wollomi National Park. We saw just two vehicles on the dirt all day, one of which was a National Park vehicle which doesn't count. Then home to Balmain well before dark via some lovely mountain hinterland.

It was the perfect birthday. Especially after arriving home to receive gifts from our two teenage daughters. I was a late starter, being first time father at 47. Both daughters thankfully have their mother's looks an their mother's brains. But both have red hair which my girls says was caused by rust in my pipes.

Anyhow here's lunch and thanks for all of your suggestions. It was a most delightfull day.

Keith

AnswerID: 534650

Sponsored Links