Cape leveque road

Hi there , was wondering if any one may have any up to date info on road conditions for the cape leveque road as I have heard it's quite rough at the moment , hopefully a grader has given it a swipe , heading up that way next week hopefully to middle lagoon & day trips from there.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian H8 - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 12:17

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 12:17
Hi, Was up that track last weekend and it's BLOODY rough. Even the locals agreed, but the scenery almost makes it worth while.
AnswerID: 535132

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 13:01

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 13:01
Very rough. In fact, chopped to bits. No grader for another 4 weeks.
Be prepared to go very slow, like 10k
FollowupID: 818970

Follow Up By: LCCY79 - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 14:36

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 14:36
Hay thanks for that info Ian & john & Regina , just confirming my thoughts of the road , ill air down & take it easy.
FollowupID: 818974

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 14:42

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 14:42
I can only agree.
But be aware that its superb bitum as n as soon as it enters aboriginal land so its not crap all the way
FollowupID: 818976

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 16:50

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 16:50
Yes, its an interesting "road" at present, as is the side track out to Middle Lagoon.
But, don't let it put you off. It's not "undriveable". Just slow down a bit, depending on what you may be towing.

The track varies from a shallow "U" shaped sandy track to start with, then flattens out to a moderately corrugated hard based surface in sections.
No loose rocks and altogether drivable with care.
We were towing camper trailers but a some folk we met in Broome were on their way up there for the 6th or 7th trip, one towing a largish off road van.

The track out to Middle Lagoon was the most varied road surface we come across.
From a narrow track it changed to undulating, then corrugated, then BMX or motocross style, then reef (rocky) surface. Basically, the lot.

We arrived on the Friday and the "regulars" showed up on the Sunday and set themselves up in the non-powered sites along the cliff face, overlooking the lagoon.
While we were there, no one was venturing out in their boats, due to what they thought were Barracouta scaring the other fish away.
What we caught (off the beach) was a largish Long Tom and this beastie was what we believe was scaring the other fish. We filleted and cooked it all the same and tasted OK. The white flesh had small blue veins through it but it didn't adversely affect the taste.

As I said, don't be put off by road surfaces but merely drive to the conditions and you should get through "unscathed".

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 535142

Follow Up By: LCCY79 - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 18:07

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 18:07
Hay thanks sand man for your info great to see photos , after driving the karunji track , Mitchell falls road & kalumburu road to McGowans island what's another rough road haha

Your right ... Drive to conditions slow down we're on holiday after all
FollowupID: 818987

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:37

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:37
Hi There.
My daughter came down the road yesterday and travels it a lot .As bad as it gets at the present.
cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 535184

Reply By: LCCY79 - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 18:24

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 18:24
We'll made it to middle lagoon beautiful sheltered beach , lots of caravans! The cape leveque road was not to bad really, mostly corrugated not as rough as I thought it was going to be , kinda like a rough bypass road up cape York except with larger whoops & fine sand , there is two graders grading the road & a dozer scrub clearing the shoulder. Couple of fires between manari & cape leveque roads.
AnswerID: 535345

Sponsored Links