I want to go to Tasmania. Info please.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 20:35
ThreadID: 10854 Views:3405 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

I have finally plucked up enough courage to tell "she who must be obeyed" that I want to go an do a tour of Tasmania before I get too old and the grim reaper strikes.

My questions are:

1. How would I find out about the cost to ferry the Troopy plus 2 to Tassie?

2. What are the best times of the year to go, climatic conditions etc?

My wife was told by a Taswegian that the best time of the year was March...is this correct? We would be camping in the back of my 4WD Troopie (Trakka camper converted). The length of the tour, hopefully would be about 3 weeks.

3. What are the "must see" locations, tours and the like.

First hand experience would be preferred.

Thanks guys.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allfour4x4 - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:01

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:01
Janset ,
Best way is to ring the ferry mob, we went a few years ago and I think you'l' find that troopy goes into a higher cost bracket due to length (with a roof rack, probably penalised for height too). Don't expect to drive in the south-west corner as it is all wilderness area (No access). Personally I also wouldn't bother with the Gordon river tourist trap cruise, but would check out Arthur river area. We travelled mid Feb. and all was fine, however anything can happen weather wise- be prepared! and have a ball.
Glenn B.
AnswerID: 48446

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:27

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:27
Hey Glen,
So your saying to forget the Gordon River as well....or just the tourist cruise?..I too am thinking of a trip down the apple isle But seems the more i read about it, the less challenging it gets. I love it when you talk DIRTY !
FollowupID: 310293

Follow Up By: STAN - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:28

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:28
JANSET, I am leaving this Wed on the princess of Tasmania. Cost with Seniors card or pension consession is $524 This is for a return trip for 2 with a inside twin berth cabin. Your car tavels free if it is under 5 metres long. No mention of height limit. Will be sticking around the west coast for 4 weeks. Feb/ Mar is ideal STAN
FollowupID: 310294

Follow Up By: Brian - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 23:24

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 23:24
Stan if you are sailing on the "Princess of Tasmania" you have missed the boat it was (if not mistaken) de- commissioned 20 odd years ago!!!
The boats are (imaginatively named) Spirit of Tasmania I ,II, III

Allfour4x4
TT Line will have all the info you need

Basically $115 one way Chair or $205 cabin or more for better cabin, Car is free except for a short period over Christmas. Don't worry about height(you may well be parked along side a Semi) and length will not be a problem, My patrol Wagon and camper went on no worries ($140 me and car/camper if I remember rightly).

As for places .. each area of Tas is different, march is good, I love the east and west coasts, you may even get snow in the highlands( went camping in january and got an inch a year or 2 ago) many great free spots to camp call forestery Tas they will send out info (did 4 me) and look at the costal reserves (especialy bay of fires,near St Helens)

Hope this helps
Brian
FollowupID: 310314

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 14:44

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 14:44
Cokeaddict,
Gordon River thoughts was just our opinion. Get on boat cruise across the harbour and up the river, look at stunted Huon pine (extremely old and rare, but still just a stunted pine tree!) jump off boat walk around the 200m boardwalk look at more trees with a large group of others, then back on boat - go home.
Harbour's nice, cruise is nice, but I just feel gordon is very overrated.
glenn b.
FollowupID: 310352

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:20

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:20
google = tasmania vehicle ferry = information :-)

Is this of help?

http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/fares/non_standard_car.htm
AnswerID: 48453

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 00:31

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 00:31
Saw a book in the shop the other day covering 4wd trips in Tasmania - looked good.
AnswerID: 48480

Reply By: Patsy - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:56

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:56
Cost of Spirit $496.00 return (Apex Fares) for 2 in off peak period in 2 berth (actually 4) inside cabin.
AnswerID: 48489

Follow Up By: Patsy - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:57

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:57
PS. This includes our Nissan Patrol with slide-on camper (free).
FollowupID: 310325

Reply By: Patsy - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:59

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:59
Hi Janset
I am a Taswegian born and bred. Best months to visit Tassie are Feb/March for best weather as a rule (Always remember that Tassie is known for its 4 seasons in one day and this can strike when you least expect it). December is usually pretty good too. This is the peak time for the Ferry though and costs are higher. We have a Patrol with slide-on camper and this goes for free in the shoulder and off peak seasons. We always book "Apex Fares" (which are a limited number of discounted fares on each trip) and best way of securing these are to book well in advance. Cost in off peak period this year (we are leaving in May and returning in August) for 2 with inside cabin for 2 (which will sleep 4) RETURN plus our vehicle is $496.00.
There are so many great locations to see in Tassie and 3 weeks is ample time to see all. A lot will depend on what you like seeing and doing.
Just to mention a few:-
Port Arthur/Tasman Peninsula - history & great scenery
Hastings Caves & the Huon - scenery
Central Highlands and lakes area (if you like trout fishing)
Maria Island & East Coast & North East Coast for great beaches, fishing, swimming and hiking (Maria Island has a convict history pre-dating Port Arthur)
Cradle Mountain - scenery & hiking
West Coast/ABT Railway/Gordon River Cruises
If you would like any more in depth information about anything, then I would be happy to obtain brochures from the local tourist centres to forward to you. Just let me know. My email address is mundy2@ozemail.com.au
We love going to outback Australia and the desert simply because it is so different from Tassie. It does make us appreciate what we have here though.
AnswerID: 48490

Reply By: Janset - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 13:43

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 13:43
Hi Guys.

What an excellent response. Thanks guys.

I have 'book-marked' this page for future reference.

I just measured the length of the Troopie, and with all the fruit front and rear it is 5.540 metres (18ft 2 inches for oldies info). No wonder I find it awkward to maneuver in tight spaces!

The links provided are great.

Patsie, thank you for your offer, I will only be to glad to take you up on it. I will drop you an email and will wait your convenience.

When I have all the info i will be booking well in advance, that is my usual practice in the money saving stakes :-)
AnswerID: 48518

Reply By: Thommo - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 16:34

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 16:34
Hi Janset,
we went over to Tassis a few years ago. As indicated, look at the TT Line website for all the details. Get in early if Xmas is your time. Non peak periods would not require bookings.
It is easy to get around. We went for the easy option of on-site vans/cabins. It can get very wet at anytime.
If limited for time, go to Sarah Island and the Beach at Strahan before Gordon River Cruise.

Thommo.
AnswerID: 48537

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:45

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:45
Janset
have found the Forestry Tasmania web page looks good with downloadable maps and info sheets for each area!

Brian

AnswerID: 49082

Sponsored Links