Agate Creek fossicking

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 09:39
ThreadID: 10864 Views:9437 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Are there any fossickers on the forum, and if so has anyone done any fossicking at Agate Creek (far Nth Qld) in the last couple of years - looking for info on road conditions, nearby camping facilities, and productivity of fossicking for agate.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Diesel 1 - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 10:26

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 10:26
G'day GLD,
I,m a fairly keen fossicker - spent 3 years fulltime scratching for sapphires in central QLD in the mid 90's and did quite well. I did a trip across to Mt Surprise and O'Briens Creek a couple of years ago and had all intentions of having a scratch around at Agate Creek, but got talking to a bloke who told me that he had put in a couple of weeks there for very little return for the effort. I showed him some agate specimans that I had picked up next to the Georgina River just outside Camoweel and he said that they were better than anything anybody had managed to find when he was in at Agate Creek.

Agate Creek might be a bit better this year with all the heavy rains in the area over recent months, but the tracks in and out would probably be fairly messy. from what I have been told, it is just bush camping and you will need to carry water in.

I'm thinking about heading over there this year and will more than likely spend most of my time scratching for topaz at O'Briens.

Diesel1
AnswerID: 48503

Follow Up By: Pauley - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 00:36

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 00:36
Hello,
I've been a keen fossicker for years, came from the Rockhampton area which is a interesting place for fossicking. I been up working in Mt Isa for nearly 2 years now & still trying to get my bearings. I was interested to read you're reference to agate around Camooweal which as you'd know isn't too far from here. Do you reckon it'd be worth the drive up there? I'd be real interested in any info you've got about this area.
Paul
FollowupID: 310417

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:57

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:57
G'day Pauley,

You are right about the Rocky area being an interesting place for fossicking - it's only a 3 hour run out to the gemfields with quite a few spots in between for a bit of a scratch around. Did you ever get down around the Springsure area for a look - a lot of good labradorite crystals.

The first time I found agate at Camoweal was a bit over 20 years back when I pulled into the old rest area on the western bank of the river crossing - the Mains Roads people were using it as a road materials dump when I was there a couple of years ago and even though they had covered up a lot of the natural river rubble, I still managed to pick up some good pieces - small, but good pattern.

A good spot you might be interested in close to the Isa is Cloncurry - the Fullarton River garnets are easily found and in my opinion, they are one of the best coloured garnets - plum coloured.

Diesel 1
FollowupID: 310438

Follow Up By: Pauley - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 00:52

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 00:52
Thanks Diesel,
Never been to Springsure, I had some relatives around Capella so I always went that way. I used to love all the old diggings around Rocky, spent half me life poking around them. I'll get over to Cloncurry soon as I've got a bit of time and have a look for those garnets you mention and I might even go over to Camooweal next weekend.
Paul
FollowupID: 310510

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:44

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:44
G'day Paul,
I've been trying to remember the track in to the best spot for the Fullarton River garnets - it's been a few years since I was in there, but I heard through the grapevine that there are still some good stones being found.

I will contact a bloke over at Rubyvale who gets out that way quite often and see if he can draw up a mudmap - I'll let you know through this forum.

Diesel 1
FollowupID: 310522

Follow Up By: Pauley - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:54

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:54
Thanks Diesel,
It'd be good to have a scratch around where there's a chance of finding something. I see the Fullarton river right on the western edge of a 1:250000 Curry map I've got.
Paul
FollowupID: 310634

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:16

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:16
G'day Paul,
I know what you mean about having a scratch around in a place where there's a chance of finding something - I've been given a few false leads by blokes over the years and it is frustrating to get to a spot and find bugger all.
I met an old bloke in Qld some years back who had spent around 40 years travelling the state trying his luck on just about everything that could be dug out the ground - he marked a heap of 'good' spots on a map for me and even though I haven't visited them all, so far his info has been right on the mark. Unfortunately he did not make any reference to the Fullarton River garnets - probably wanted to keep that info to himself.
It is on private land, but the owner is a fair dinkum sort of bloke who doesn't mind fossickers providing you demonstrate some ethics when it comes to respecting his land. The garnets I found were all on the surface (no digging required) and although the majority of stones had small cracks, I would say that 1 in 20 were reasonably good gem quality.

Diesel 1
FollowupID: 310826

Follow Up By: Pauley - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:55

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:55
yeah Diesel,
I knew an old bloke in Rocky (come to think of it he wasn't much older than I am now) but any way he was a wealth of info, he and a couple of other fellows discovered that big chrisophrase (can't spell it) deposit near Marlborough and unfortunately they were all broke at the time and sold it for a song about 45 years ago. He was always talking about a place around Cairns he knew of where he'd found these huge agates that he reckoned weren't commercially viable at the time because of their size so he left the spot undisturbed.
About 15 years ago now I used to run into a lot of old blokes hidden away in the bush that'd been prospecting (mainly for gold) for years I expect most of them are dead now. One old bloke was living in a slab hut about 50 k's south/west of Rocky that he reckoned he'd been born in. It had a dirt floor. They all knew the areas where they lived like the backs of their hands.
Paul
FollowupID: 310930

Follow Up By: Pauley - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:55

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:55
yeah Diesel,
I knew an old bloke in Rocky (come to think of it he wasn't much older than I am now) but any way he was a wealth of info, he and a couple of other fellows discovered that big chrisophrase (can't spell it) deposit near Marlborough and unfortunately they were all broke at the time and sold it for a song about 45 years ago. He was always talking about a place around Cairns he knew of where he'd found these huge agates that he reckoned weren't commercially viable at the time because of their size so he left the spot undisturbed.
About 15 years ago now I used to run into a lot of old blokes hidden away in the bush that'd been prospecting (mainly for gold) for years I expect most of them are dead now. One old bloke was living in a slab hut about 50 k's south/west of Rocky that he reckoned he'd been born in. It had a dirt floor. They all knew the areas where they lived like the backs of their hands.
Paul
FollowupID: 310931

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:01

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:01
We were at both OBrien's Creek and Cobbold Gorge last september, the roads we great and well maintained. Agate Creek is run by the same family that runs Cobbold Gorge and also owns Robinhood Station, Nice folks with ample camping at Cobbold Gorge, They have a chopper there and run flights over the area, cobbold gorge is also well worth a visit.

We were looking at cycads which are located at both Robinhood and OBriens Creek. They are well worth a look at.

http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/mines/fossicking/pdf/agate_creek.pdf
AnswerID: 48505

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 13:15

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 13:15
Was at Agate Creek September last year. As per previous responses the roads & tracks were in good condition. The only allowable camping area near the fossicking ground is on Agate Creek just outside the area which is well sign posted. It has a single flushing pit toilet & shower facility set up by the station owner & a small camping fee is required. We found some reasonalble specimens of agate in the creek beds & thunder eggs up on the ridges between Crystal Hill & Bald Hill. It was hot going because we came in at the end of the cooler season when temperatures were on the rise. You will need a good pick & a lot of elbow grease as the ground is hard & rocky if looking for thunder eggs. We did well at O'Briens Creek but didn't think much of the camping area out at the fossicking ground on Elizabeth Creek. It has 2 toilet & shower facilties but the cattle are free to wander through the camping area. Better to stay at the Mount Surprise Caravan Park & make a day trip out to the area. ( 1/2 hr drive. Good gravel road). Have a good trip.Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 48517

Sponsored Links