Does anybody else hate grey nomads with dirty great big caravans?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 13:57
ThreadID: 108650 Views:15004 Replies:39 FollowUps:81
This Thread has been Archived
Just spent a week travelling around Uluru, Kings Canyon area. What a nightmare on the roads. Every white 4wd in Australia with a filthy big duel wheeled van in tow out and about. Sitting endlessly behind these behemoths travelling at 90kms per hour, swaying all over the road, putting their left wheels in the dirt every time another white 4wd with a behemoth in tow came the other way. Do you really need a 4 bedroom house in tow to explore Australia? Should we be looking to limit the size of vans and introduce tougher driving license requirements for vans? - I need a special license to drive a truck but can attach a block of flats to my car and off I go! Doesn't make sense.

And don't get me started on the whinging nomads we encountered on our travels but here's some advice:

1) if there is no powered camp sites available maybe you should call and book head.
2) fuel does cost more in remote locations - carry your own or don't go there if you don't like the cost.
3) booze does cost more in remote locations - see question 2.
4) not many places will have gluten free bread cooked in separate toasters for the unfortunate silliacs amongst us!
5) service does take a bit longer at roadside fuel stops when 20 vans pull up all wanting hamburgers and steak sandwiches for lunch.

Oh I lament the days when a trip to the outback meant just throwing the swag in the back of the 4by!

Anyway I hope my tongue in cheek post brings a few smiles.

Cheers P

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 14:11

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 14:11
Looking to make a few friends eh Peter hahaha
AnswerID: 535670

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:55

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:55
He can call me one Alby (regards to you and family too) he gave me a laugh especially the Gluten Free toaster, that is not true Peter? Hope it's not FFS.
Living in the things for months must be comfortable, but moving regularly must be a pain.
One day we might end up with one of them ourselves, nah don't be daft we would be miserable, sand under foot beside a cooking fire in the middle of nowhere sounds more like us.
Anyway if its so big how come they don't have their own GF toaster?
FollowupID: 819573

Follow Up By: Peter F9 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:12

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:12
Absolutely true MactrolPod about the gluten free bread.Yulara last week. Guy ordered gluten free toast then spat it and walked off when he came to collect it and asked if it was cooked in a separate toaster. I thought I'd heard everything till that! Thought WTF. Straw that broke the camels back so to speak for me, hence this tongue in cheek post. Though it seems a lot have missed the tongue in cheek part.
FollowupID: 819574

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:40

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:40
Yes I got a good laugh too.
I had my sister with me on a trip once and we were buying a coffee and she was trying to order a soy latte thingamabob with a dash of something, the poor lady in the cafe just glazed over not having a clue as to what she was talking about, then she pulled out her own GF bread wrapped in gladwrap which she had them toast for her as I slowly slid off my chair under the table hahahaha, at least she didnt ask if they had a dedicated GF toaster.

When we were on our way home from a Cape York trip we stopped in the Big 4 at Tweed Heads for the night as it was too late to keep going.
I was amazed at the rows and rows of new vans and tow rigs with all the grey nomads. The next morning I went into the laundry to get a bucket of hot water and it was like Nanna city, there would of been a dozen of them in there dressing gowns with rollers in their hair on the ironing boards pressing the clothes for the day. It was very funny sight to see.
FollowupID: 819578

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:49

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:49
Glad Im not the only one to feel out of place at times - usually a remote bush camp family.
Back in the 60s and 70s, as a kid, we were the flashiest travellers on the east coast towing custom made 25 foot caravans with newish Chevrolets (those old Chevvies are now worth more than most 4WDs had we kept any of them)
People would stare... and come and check out the chrome and lines of the car and the inside of the caravan.

Nowdays....
We drive an old reliable and capable GQ (no caravan - but has a bunk/kitchen combo in back).

We can scratch it and wade through deepish water without cringing about the vehicles resale value. (which is not much....mind you by now I probably owe it money not vice versa)

Lobbed into a caravan park in Bowen Qld one winter and had a cabin in the middle of all brand new 4WDs and caravans.

Again, People would stare...... but for the opposite reason... I had never felt so paranoid or poor - the looks we got!

Talk about "scaring the straights"!
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 819633

Reply By: allein m - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 14:12

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 14:12
There was a documentary on gray haired nomads on ABC while back and they seem to do a lot of good.

They proved short term labor for many caravan parks and road houses

They spend a lot in remote towns

There is a entire industry based around them from books to companies supplying them with the good they need

they even helped with border protection and even drug smugglers with eyes and ears camping in remote spots

There were a lot of positives given in this story and I can say places like where I live Broken Hill get a of money spent in the town by them .

Ok yes there are some negative like the speed but your on holiday sit back enjoy the country side no real need to rush off and get to your next town as fast as possible
AnswerID: 535671

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:26

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:26
Ummm, you forgot the most important thing:
They provide people something to whinge about - tongue in cheek of course...
FollowupID: 819575

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:34

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:34
They provide people something to whinge about

So true where would we be i this world with out the Alf Garnets in the world lol
FollowupID: 819577

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:52

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:52
They also do a sterling job with Blaze Aid and other volunteer organisations.

As for the original poster..... if it's too hard for you stay at home you will not be missed.

John
FollowupID: 819642

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 16:24

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 16:24
Grumblebum and the Dragon the gray haired nomad is a a massive resource with many skills and from what the people on this program said is under used and underestimated.

The skills that can be used to help a small town get back onto there feet are there and need to be used you have top management engineers and manual works all with skills that are often lacking in outback towns

One show I watched in the series was where a couple who were top management in finance and industry were donating there time to help a remote Aboriginal settlement with tourism and managing finances ,

so what if they like to have a big van if they can afford it I am sure they worked very hard to get to where they were and deserve it.

FollowupID: 819655

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 14:25

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 14:25
Just remember one thing Peter... one day you'll be old.
AnswerID: 535673

Follow Up By: Peter F9 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 14:30

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 14:30
Unfortunately Rod I'm already a bona fide member of the grey club, just without the dirty great van!!
FollowupID: 819568

Reply By: Slow one - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:05

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:05
Peter,
Johnny Cash wrote a song for you titled Cry Cry Cry.
AnswerID: 535677

Reply By: bruce b2 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:50

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:50
i don't actually hate them but i do get p"""""d being stuck behind them. BUT, if and when i ever join them, then i'll be doing the same, enjoying the country. you'll be able to pick me out on the road, a crusty old bloke with his middle finger extended. actually you can probably pick me with that description anyway.
cheers - bb
ps "horn broken, watch for finger"
AnswerID: 535683

Reply By: Hopper-51 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:53

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:53
Hi there. Is it Peter or PITA????
AnswerID: 535684

Reply By: blown4by - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:55

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 15:55
Whilst I do not hate grey nomads (I am grey myself) I do have issues understanding why when they are traveling 1000's of kilometers in a convoy they have to do it 'nose to tail' a la one dog sniffing anothers posterior fashion. This is very frustrating for those wishing to overtake especially where there are limited overtaking opportunities and it is a practice I find very selfish. In WA it is illegal for combinations exceeding 7.5m in length to travel closer than 200m apart (except when overtaking) however most seem oblivious to this clause in the Road Traffic Act 1974.
AnswerID: 535685

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:35

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:35
I think you will find the rule about long vehicles and following distances is nationwide.

I posted about it some time ago...and people seemed to think I was kidding.

It may be written for semi trailer and the like...but damn straight it applies to a hell of a lot of caravans.

Unfortunately nobody in any government seems to think is is important to advertsie and inform the public about changes to road regulations.

Or for that matter inform and educate the public about road rules in any meaningfull way at all.

cheers
FollowupID: 819594

Follow Up By: Polaris - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:17
The 200 m apart rule is not enforceable because of the "except when overtaking" provision. Any driver pulled up because of it simply has to say that he was intending to overtake. I bet there has never been a conviction on that rule.
FollowupID: 819608

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:35
From the Australian Road Rules, copied from over two pages::

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 819611

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:13

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:13
If 5 caravan combinations are one behind the other traveling at a fixed speed on a road where there is no prospect of overtaking....or they show no signs of attempting to overtake.

They can be booked a prosecuted...bang to rights.

the overtaking provision allows for closing the gap during the overtaking manovre.

make no mistake...it will be dogs balls obvious when there is no overtaking manover.

Now...consider that my pissy little hilux is over 5 meters long before hitch anything to the tow ball.

Make no mistake...if you are towing a trailer, this law does apply to you....200 meters.

cheers
FollowupID: 819615

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 23:11

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 23:11
It's also illegal to travel in the outside lane, but tell that to all the 4WDs that seem to think its their personal transit lane.
FollowupID: 819625

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 07:47

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 07:47
Bantam,

I read that as a Road train has to be 200 metres behind, but a 'long vehicle' only has to leave a 60 metre gap. ?
FollowupID: 819629

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:57

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:57
U&D
Yep you are correct, there is though the disclaimer words "another law of this jurisdiction". The quoted quoted rule was from the Australian Road Rules, how this works with individual state road rules i am not sure. But the way it reads is that it is 60 mts but the state rules may say different and the state rules would have precedence over the Aust Road Rule.

It may be as Bantam says 200mts in Qld, but is uppsoe it is up to him to substantiate.

Alan
FollowupID: 819635

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 18:43

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 18:43
Quote "The quoted quoted rule was from the Australian Road Rules, how this works with individual state road rules i am not sure."

The way it works - the states have agreed on a common set of rules. Each state then legislates to accept these rules. They may add extra bits to the rule but generally these add to the rules or strengthen them.

As far as queensland is concerned with Sect 127 there does not seem to be any variation:

"127 Keeping a minimum distance between long vehicles
(1) The driver of a long vehicle must drive at least the required
minimum distance behind another long vehicle travelling in
front of the driver, unless the driver is—
(a) driving on—
(i) a multi-lane road; or
(ii) a length of road in a built-up area; or
(b) overtaking.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) In this section—
long vehicle means a vehicle that, together with any load or
projection, is 7.5m long, or longer.
required minimum distance means—
(a) for a road train—200m; or
(b) otherwise—60m."

As you can see, the 200 m rule only applies to road trains. Bantam is out of line.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 819664

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:45

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:45
indeed correect...60 meters for other than road trains.

cheers
FollowupID: 819682

Reply By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:11

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:11
G'day Peter F9 and all others

Well mate, I'm an grey haired old bloke and I too tow a caravan and just quietly the wife and I returned home after a little while away, we only covered a piddely 2780 kilometres in total over a 15 day period.

Conservatively we spent around three thousand dollars in total, but I did spend up big buying four new tyres for the Land Cruiser and a small fortune went on accommodation at an outer suburban caravan/resort/park home park north of Perth.

We had no real choice in the destination or the reason for the journey, so it wasn't a bona fide holiday, but that's just part of life and living 1200 kilometres away from what most people call normal.

We free camped two nights on the trip down from the Pilbara, only one free camp night on the return journey with a caravan park stay for a single night and that was because it was bitterly cold and we could run a small heater to keep warmish.

We loved every aspect of the open road journey, put up with the loopy drivers in the suburbs and Perth City, but I can honestly say the only thing that caused me (as the driver) any concern were in fact the seemingly light weight vehicles towing what appear to be "large" caravans, I think if it were to go pear shaped for any of these bigger van and smallish vehicles it would be fairly dramatic, luckily no such drama was witnessed and I was the only bugger doing less than the posted speed limits.

Safe travels : Joe
AnswerID: 535688

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:57

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:57
I dont "hate" them - there is probably enough hate around already to want to add to the load. But although we are well and truly grey ourselves, we do wonder at those in big vans who travel with all the mod cons (and then some), but who still seem to think they are "camping". Camping as we understand it is about simplicity, getting back to basics and so on - a far cry from 5 stars on wheels.

And yes we have seen a few stunning incidents - and not just from those in big vans. The lady at a GRR roadhouse wanting to buy pickled walnuts, the lady at an Esperance CP that couldn't face the day until she had ironed all the clothes, including undies, the caravanner somewhere between Derby and Halls Creek that spent lunchtime trying to get his TV antenna adjusted. You really have to wonder why some people bother to leave home.

But what really gets us are people who cant seem to think out simple "problems" that inevitably crop up on the road - how to heat water, how to make a comfortable bed, how to read a map - the list goes on. We are supposed to have a first world education system but to watch some people they haven't learned much either from school or life. Its enough to make you cry - or laugh!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 535692

Reply By: Off-track - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:59

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:59
Hate is a strong word but I really dont understand why two retirees and lapdog need such massive caravans. I cant help but think most of it is all about the Jones's.

But I guess they're free to make the choice just as we're free to have an opinion.

AnswerID: 535693

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:08

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:08
Yeah and I look at people towing a camper trailer and think why do they carry so much stuff
We are all different and have different expectations and comfort levels when on the road
FollowupID: 819614

Reply By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:59

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 16:59
Safe travels everyone.
And therein lies the problem for me; I have seen soo many near misses due to Grey Nomads sitting on 90km/hr on long outback roads;
Some do the right thing and let the roadtrains past; but others (and in my opinion the majority) just don't give a damn.
I have seen a GN towing their caravan at 90 with two roadtrains sitting behind. I was behind them again, could not believe how inconsiderate the caravan was. Then comes the faster cars from behind, after an hour getting so frustrated that they attempt to overtake the lot!
Guys, be considerate, I know you want to sit on 90 but consider others want (and are allowed to) sit on 100 or 110 where the speed limits apply!
Or, you get two of them sitting behind one other making it hard for anyone to pass!

Then, when you get to busier roads such as Bruce Highway, they sit there with probably a km of cars/trucks behind them. Now you have 50 people getting frustrated, why can't they just be considerate and pull over?

CJ
AnswerID: 535694

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:10

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:10
CJ - you've hit the nail on the head...consideration is the word. Some have it - some are oblivious. Some sit on 90 on a single road, then speed up to 100 when there are two lanes for overtaking - go figure.
FollowupID: 819580

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:16

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:16
My better half is Canadian. She tells me that there is a road rule in her home province (state) that says if there are 5 vehicles behind you, you are required to pull over, stop if necessary and let them overtake.

Should be the rule here.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819582

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:46

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:46
Like!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 819598

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:48

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:48
No, I absolutely love that idea. I do it anyway but it drives me to distraction that others think they have the right to hold others up. Just bloody rude.
FollowupID: 819599

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:59

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:59
Great idea but suspect the problem is most would not have a clue if there was one or twenty vehicles behind them
FollowupID: 819601

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:16

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:16
They probably only look in their mirrors twice a day.
FollowupID: 819640

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 13:16

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 13:16
"They probably only look in their mirrors twice a day."
Yeah in the van - when she's putting the makeup on and he's shaving!
FollowupID: 819644

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:09

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:09
Just get off the blacktop asap and leave them to it in their LC200s and 23ft "offroad" vans that they'd need counselling for if they got a whiff of dust on it.
FollowupID: 819688

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 23:02

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 23:02
Steve, my 23ft van would have more dust on it than you've ever seen in a lifetime..
FollowupID: 819692

Follow Up By: WayneD - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 05:09

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 05:09
Recently travelling in Alaska the same 5 car rule applies and saw a couple of vehicles being booked for not observing the rule.

Remember back in 2007 driving out near Blackall there were 9 Campervans in a convoy and all had Italian flags flying. Had to pass all 9 in one go as there was not enough room between them to pull in. A number of the vehicles had people walking around inside.
FollowupID: 819810

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:08

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:08
Hey, I'm 100% with you Peter.

There I am tootling along at oohhh about 85 90 kph minding my own business, 4 plus 2 in tow, get to where I want to camp for the night and all the good spots are taken..grrrrrrrrr. Bloody grey nomads.
Don't get me started on the cost of fuel and booze. Don't these inconsiderate shop owners know we are on a tight budget. Transport costs...HA. Have a look at my transport costs.
As to the gluttons that want their bread toasted in a separate toaster...tough. I got my breadmaker, toaster, expresso machine, hot water system, air con, full cook top and oven, TV, radio tape deck CD thumb drive thingo, fridge, freezer,,,um...Oh yeh...and a 6KVA generator to drive that lot. So don't expect me to go more than snails pace when we come to a hill. Boy, you wanna see me pick up speed on the down hill run though with all that weight on board...hehehe.
Of course it takes a bit longer to fill the tanks at the servo. I mean you try pumping 360 liters into the tanks from a normal nozzle, then clean the slow bugs off the windscreen, check the tyre pressures, dip the oil, etc, and then go in and wait behind the bloody line of grey nomads that want their skimmed milk milkshake shaken not stirred so you can order your hamburger...hmmm maybe a toasted ham sanger....or possibly the steak sandwich..so many options, so little time and that bloke parked behind the van tooting his horn isn't helping.

That's it the van's going on the market and the swag's going on the ute...lol

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 535695

Follow Up By: Peter F9 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:44

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:44
Pop great response... lol.. I'm glad I've finally converted someone back to the simple path in life... now that van set up sounds good..how much are you looking for it??? lol
FollowupID: 819586

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:43

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:43
Well Pete mate of course you realise I would be parting with a piece of gear that has taken a lifetime...well maybe half a lifetime....actually a couple of years to accumulate all the invaluable accessories .......how much you offering??

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 819618

Reply By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:48

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 17:48
I've lost count of the number of times I've been toodling along at 90ks and had cars pass me at 110ks +. I finally pull in for the night somewhere hundreds of Ks further along and find the dudes who passed me miles back either camping in the same area or arriving five/ten minutes later. Doesn't make sense to me. Travel at 90ks all day and you travel 720ks, travel at 100ks all day and you travel an extra 80ks, is it really worth the effort and stress. 100ks is the limit not the target.
AnswerID: 535698

Follow Up By: wooody - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:13

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:13
Maybe some of us don't have the rest of our lives to travel all day long, those of us that are still confined to working for a living are, due to no fault of our own, confined to cramming in as much as possible in the time allotted.
FollowupID: 819590

Follow Up By: greybeard - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:16

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:16
Kind of nice if there could be a balance between others right to travel at a different speed than you make sense of and your right to toodle along. You never know someone who arrives earlier may be nice and relaxed by the time you arrive and offer you a nice cold beer ;)
FollowupID: 819591

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:36

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:36
I don't have any gray hairs, I work and also don't have have the rest of my life to travel all day long, so like you I have to cram in my enjoyment wherever I can. My point is: at best you may get to your destination a little less than an hour later. Considerably less stressed by the sound of it.
FollowupID: 819595

Follow Up By: Member - TLC 001 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:41

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:41
So picking up on wooody's point, 80ks a day times 10 days = 1 days travel. I don't like it, but if I want to go there in my limited time, its what you have to do. Oh to be time rich! One day....., if I'm lucky and live that long.

Just leave me a gap between you and the vehicle in front, I'll get around when its safe and be out of your way.
FollowupID: 819596

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:06

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:06
The difference is it is stressful for some to travel above 90kph and it is just as stressful for others to be made only drive at 90
FollowupID: 819602

Follow Up By: Manfred b - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:17

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:17
Well I don't tailgate itching to pass everyone in sight, always plenty of room in front of me - even when I'm behind someone travelling at 70/80 kph. No need to stress - life's too short.
FollowupID: 819603

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:23
Yeh...well there are people on the road who do have somewhere to be and a specific time allowed to be there..

Consider that truck driver who has a legally inforced amount of time he can drive in a day....comming up 80 to a 100Km short at the end of his allotted driving time simply does not cut it.

Also consider that driver may have 20 gears in his gearbox....if he is traveling along the highway at or near 100Kmh...he WILL be speed limited.
he comes upon a hill and because he is behing a vehicle traveling at 85 or 90 Kmh on the flay he has to drop to 70 or 80 Kmh on a hill...because of this he looses momemntum and has to do something like 6 or 7 gearshifts on the way up that hill and anothe 6 or 7 shifts after he crests th hill....remember big manual trucks have no syncromesh so every single gear shift is a double clutch crash shift.

If he was traveing at 100Kmh and dropped to 85 to 90Kmh..he would have creted that hill in top gear.
Now if he would have crested that hill in top gear he would have done so at maximum efficiency.......dropping speed and downshifting realy knocks that efficiency round badly...each time he does that it probaly cost him about $5 in extra fuel.

Remember very hill when he is stuck behind you is costing him time money and effort in very real terms.

If your rig is not safe and 100% stable at 100Kmh or you are not confident driving it at that speed in good conditions it and you should not be on the road.

FollowupID: 819609

Follow Up By: blown4by - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:44

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:44
Tony H15, I just love (not) your analogy, that because you have 'been toodling along all day at 90ks' that the speed you choose to sit on is therefore good enough for every other road user just because you see some of those who have passed you later that same day. I respect your right to sit on whatever speed you wish but please respect my rights also and leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front so I can pass when safe to do so and go about my business. I suspect you are the same guy who whenever a rare passing lane appears, that I have patiently waited an eternity for, you increase your speed to 110 and then at the end of the passing lane you slow down to 90 again. That type of driving style is very inconsiderate and makes some drivers so annoyed they take risks they would not ordinarily take.
Your post reminds me of the old saying: "I have been driving for 60 years and have never had an accident" (but I caused a few hundred)
FollowupID: 819619

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:50
Well there ya go grey nomads. Several good reasons why you have to drive at a speed you don't feel comfortable with.
FollowupID: 819620

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:10

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:10
Tony,

what I find relaxing and destressing is driving at a speed I choose, and not one chosen by the mobile armco barrier in front of me. It is often apparent that the driver in front doesn't like having me behind them, and I don't like being behind them, so why do they go out of their way to make sure we maintain that configuration? (eg speeding up on the passing sections etc)

I knew I fitted the train horn for a good reason, you just reminded me of it.

Bob
FollowupID: 819631

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 17:14

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 17:14
You're full of crap Bantam, There is no rule that says you must do 100. Also if anybody works on 100kph average for there journey maybe they are the ones that should be rethinking if they shoud be on the road or not.
FollowupID: 819658

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:34

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:34
Bantam,
don't know about others, but I don't use the clutch on one of those terrible crash boxes once I have taken off, it is only the syncro boxes that I use it on. Bloody silly trucks.
FollowupID: 819670

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:08

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:08
Rosss mate....in the real world there are commercial realities where the driver does not have the choice or it represents significant cost to drive considerably lower than the speed limit...like it or not that is a reality.

If a transport driver travels at 90Kmh rather than 100Kmh ( the average speed will be less in both cases).....that means in 10 hours driving that vehicle will cover arround 100Km less or for the same distance it will take arround a hour more.
In real terms that costs the transport owner arround $100 in wages and staff related overheads alone.

There is a lot being said in the trasmport schedules that many of the end users are demanding....and yes the commercial realities of making a specific distance in the given log book hours.

many of the transport contracts apply significant penalties in the thoursnads of dollars....if the contracted schedule is not met or the delivery slot is missed.

Like it or not these are current commercial realities.

we keep comming back to people towing combinations that are not stable and the drivers are not comfortable driving at the posted highway speeds....realy combinations that are either not safe or drivers that are not adequately competent.

So which is it ..is your vehicle combination not safe at the posted highway speed under good conditions...or are you incompetent.......its one or the other...there is no third choice

And a lot of these mobile chicanes and massivve rolling gin palaces are traveling well below 90Kmh......on roads where there are no passing lanes they represent a clear hazard and a genuine incnvienience to the remaining majority of road users.

There may be no rule that says you have to travel at 100KMh.......but is is plain and clear that many of these people do not give a $@!t about anybody else.

Slow one mate...I know that many drivers do not use the clutch shifting crash boxes....it comes to personal choice and how the particular vehicle works best for the partricular driver.....the term used was to indicate that there is a lot more effort required on behalf of a heavy vehicle driver to shift gears than there is in a passenger car.

cheers
FollowupID: 819687

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 23:19

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 23:19
Like Tony said "100ks is the limit, not the target".
Patience is a virtue.
The roads are for everyone, not just the trucks.

wizzer
FollowupID: 819694

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:44

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:44
Blown4by, since you've decided to ramp it up and trade insults, how's this one? Your quote "I have been driving for 60 years and have never had an accident (but I caused a few hundred'. Given your monicker and attitude I suspect that may well be true of you!

I also suspect you're one of those that sit a metre away from the bumper in front, pulling out then ducking back in just narrowly avoiding head ons every few minutes.

Truckies may well be on a timetable: I'm not and I have just as much right to the road as any one else. If picking up another 4-5 kph is that important to you I guess you'll just have to wait for a passing lane or wait until I consider it safe to pull over and let you pass.

The trouble is, when you sit a metre away from the bumper in front it's very difficult for them to pull over safely, but that's the bed you insist on making for yourself.

I don't speed up when a passing lane finally arrives (it's called cruise control btw), but I suspect you won't believe me - you have obviously crossed to the other side of the argument divide.

I think people like yourself are the ones making it unsafe on the road, your attitude that everyone should abide by your rules is quite disturbing.

Take a chill pill, although if your a trucky I suspect you're probably already full of pills.
FollowupID: 819711

Follow Up By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 13:35

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 13:35
Bantam,

Some of the stuff you come up with blows me away!!

The beauty about forums is that I put a sifter beneath to catch all the good stuff and the crap that is left in it I throw away.

To all the road users out there, be safe.

Cheers

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 819718

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 21:52

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 21:52
Its not the matter of 4 or 5 kph under the limit that concerns any one...it is people traveling 10 to 20KPH under the limit..and plenty do.

If you sat a practical driving examination in every state and traveled for a significant period 20Kmh under the speed limit you would would recieve a demerit...in QLD 6 demerits and you fail.....if you doubt this you can download the testing protocols.

it is a recognised and documented road safety issue ( several risk factors) having vehicles traveling on the same road at significantly differing speeds.

Yes the roads are for everybpdy not just those who wish to dawdle.....the majorty expect to travel on or near the speed limit.

Traveling well under the speed limit while trafic banks up behing is inconsiderate pure and simple.

If that blows you away or cant see that point of view....well what can anybody say.

cheers
FollowupID: 819793

Follow Up By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 06:48

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 06:48
I have said it, be safe
Tomorrow is here!

FollowupID: 819813

Follow Up By: blown4by - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 21:35

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 21:35
Tony H15,
You must be a genius mate and obviously far more knowledgeable than I. I mean you even think you know stuff about people you have never met. You were the one that mentioned 90kph is your preferred speed and when I went to school that is between 10-20kph below the limit, not 4-5kph. If you had bothered to read my original post you would recall that it was about the lack of space many towing caravans leave between them and the vehicle in front. In my response I did say I respect your right to travel at whatever speed you wish. Most posts have followed the theme about mutual respect and consideration for other road users. I am sorry you feel that you are the only one entitled to have an opinion and no one else has the right to comment. Jeez mate, if I wanted to have a one way conversation like that I would not need to come on here, I could just talk to the person I live with. BTW, not that I really give a toss what you think but I am not a truckie, however 99% of those I do see on the road and talk to via UHF when passing, etc appear far more professional than you appear to be.
FollowupID: 819874

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 19:50

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 19:50
blown4by, I think most 5 year olds are probably more knowledgeable than you - but that's not saying much I suppose. As it was you who started making assumptions about me, I just followed your lead. You don't really think you respect anyones right do you? read your own posts - that should set you straight. I'm sure you have plenty of one way conversations with yourself, that's probably the only way you can get anyone to listen to you. You obviously do give a toss, otherwise you wouldn't be bothered writing back would you? There you go blown4by, a swag more insults for you - happy now? I await you reply...
FollowupID: 820120

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:28
Having just completed a 3 month lap of Oz with my camper trailer, I feel qualified to comment.

While I don' t have too many problems with them on the road, I still wonder WHY they have to have a minimum 18 foot and typically 21foot van.

My wife is grateful as she now has no trouble using the laundry at caravan parks as most now have a washing machine! Aboard. I recall a bloke at Kununurra telling me they had a disaster as the washing machine had broken! A bloke at 80 mile beach in WA told me he had great trouble selling his 16 footer, as everyone wanted a bathroom and washing machine.

I have been looking at smaller vans for when opening and closing the camper trailer becomes harder but my wife says why , we are quite comfortable in our hard floor camper trailer.

I can't help but think it is princesses driving this obscenity. " I wont go UNLESS I have a toilet washing machine etc" . has anyone ever seen a woman emptying atoilet?

I am grateful for my wife who is happy with our 17 year old camp'o ' matic with not even a winch to its name. She says why spend money on a depreciating asset that will just sit there most of the time, jewels like her are few and far between as she constantly reminds me.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 535699

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:52

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 18:52
Yes, mine services her own loo. I won't go near it. They fought for equal rights, they got them at our place. I miss my campomatic ranger, best thing ever.
FollowupID: 819600

Follow Up By: Villatranquilla - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 21:20

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 21:20
Rangiephil replied:

"While I don' t have too many problems with them on the road, I still wonder WHY they have to have a minimum 18 foot and typically 21foot van"

Probably the same reason many young people insist they need a McMansion with 4 bedrooms, study, 3 bathrooms, theatre room, rumpus room, 3 TV's, 4WD to take the kids to school etc.

FollowupID: 819787

Reply By: Manfred b - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:27

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:27
If I'm reading this correctly anyone who has a caravan over, lets say, 17', must be an idiot. Reminds of a saying I heard once: Any idiot can be uncomfortable, not all are smart enough to be comfortable. Not all are comfortable in a tent, not all are comfortable in a 23 footer. I don't have a 23 footer (would if I could afford it though), I have a 12' Avan camper it suits us, same as a 23 footer suits someone else, or a tent suits someone else: Their money, their choice, their life!
AnswerID: 535701

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:25

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:25
Their choice everybody elses suffering.
FollowupID: 819610

Follow Up By: Manfred b - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:21

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:21
My heart truly bleeds for you bantam; but, you know how it is: everybody is just out to annoy you, that is their primary task in life.
FollowupID: 819617

Reply By: Ross G6 - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:41

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 19:41
Thanks Peter, I'm a caravanner but not a 4 bedroom one, but I do agree 100% with your advice for the whingers. Well said,
AnswerID: 535702

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:06

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:06
Travelling south from Alice Springs last week, I was amazed at the “Silver Tsunami” heading up the Stuart Highway towing every kind of mobile accommodation known to man. Caravans, trailers, slide-ons, 5th wheelers, Roof top tents, you imagine it, someone was pulling it. OK I admit I was a bit glad to be going the other way and not towing for a change (The quad stayed at home this trip) but I was heartened to see so many older Aussies getting out there. Yes there is the slow driving, the inevitable disaster here and there like the odd blown tyre or sheered wheel nuts I stopped to help,but by and large, they were all chasing the sun north in a regimented but safe manner.

I admire their sacrifice in leaving safer climes, without realising the hardships ahead....not being able to get a double decaf chai soy latte with lemon twist at Glendambo! I'm comforted though in knowing they’ll still spend their dwindling pension on the unleavened banana bread (toasted) instead, making the Israeli backpacker chick who managed to escape from the Kibbutz and now flipping soy sausages at the BP roadhouse feel valued.

Imagine their hardship at not getting audible reception of Macca on Sunday morning!!! Strewth, they’ll have to break out the ambient rainforest music OR their worn copy of Johnno W singing “True Blue” to recover. Thankfully they'll have Telstra Bluetick 4G and be able to comfort themselves with Doug T's Sunday history post (Bless you Doug).

Cut them some slack I say. They are simply you and me at a different stage of life and above all, they are still out there doing it! The little extra time it takes you to negotiate a path through the aluminium clad mobile apartment block means little in life's rich tapestry (I like trotting that one out ;-)

Their time, effort and money supports many a roadside business, the outback economy in general and above all, enlightens and introduces the concept of separate toasters, faux meat products and clever ways to disguise cask wine in areas where it's sorely needed! Above all, It keeps them hearty, hale and enjoying life.

Like the sands through the hour glass, so are the......oh bleep , I forgot!

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535707

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 10:11

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 10:11
Mick, I see parallels in your post to the withering hardships the early Klondyke Goldrush prospectors faced as they forced their way ashore at Skagway to seek their dreams over the harsh snow covered mountains of the Alaskan Panhandle back in the 1800s.

Do you think things have changed "that" much?

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819638

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:07
Hi Peter,

Nice to know it is 'tongue in cheek' however to brand all Grey Nomads with a broad brush is not nice at all.

Sure, a lot of people do not subscribe to your theory, and a lot do....all depends on a persons perspective on what applies to them.

As for us, have travelled this country with all sorts of 'living arrangements...panel van with two kids + dog/2man tent ---up market to 4man tent and 2kids plus dog....camper van +2kids and dog...small caravan plus kids and dog...........all the way down/or up to/ large caravan plus.

Many years, and travels with just a swag and basics have led my wife and myself to a
decent caravan and 4wd tow vehicle.

We tow our Kedron behind the F250 at whatever the road conditions determine.....
up to the limit.......and it is advised by the factory to tow the Kedron at 100km ph....MAX

If you really, really have a problem traveling behind me..........SHOUT OUT on uhf
and I will gladly pull over and let you blast past.

Catch up with you at the next comfort stop and you can buy me........

Oh and I do not whinge about any of your above;)))

No smiles Peter..

rgds
Michael

AnswerID: 535708

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:12
Well that explains why you weren't home when I sped through! Trust you and Gilly are enjoying the new abode. See you in late Augustus.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819607

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:28

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:28
G.day Pal

Yep, we have had a few 'testing trips' and am pleased to report all is good....
as you know, I am at ease in a swag -with minimal showers- as I am in a 5star bush camp!!!!!
Soon off the HOB to see the Whales and then toodle up to Toowoomba for family stuff...

Have almost got the Effie to scrub standards, hoping for a trip next year ;))))))))))))))

Mum and I are good and sorry to have missed you on the way through..Love to Vick
and will catch you very soon.

..PS spoke to JDUB tother day, hope to catch up with Scotty and Gab............

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

NJ
AnswerID: 535710

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:53

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 20:53
The thing that pees me off is these barstewards with all the facilities demand sites near the amenities block. When I rock up in a small van without a shower and dunny I'm stuck up in the back blocks.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535712

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:58

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:58
Simple,update to a van with full facilities.!!!
FollowupID: 819643

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:51

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:51
...and then there'll be no need for parks with facilities because it's just tough if you are actually a genuine camper and not a Johnny-come-lately palace-puller.
FollowupID: 819684

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 23:22

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 23:22
Well then you three choices:
Book ahead
Get there early or
Get over it!
FollowupID: 819695

Follow Up By: Cruiser . - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:20

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:20
" it's just tough if you are actually a genuine camper and not a Johnny-come-lately palace-puller"

We "grey nomads" are not all Johnny come latelys thank you, and I resent the implication that that's what we all are.

I do sit on 90Kph but I am considerate of others and I monitor my mirrors, rear vision camera and radio at all times and will always pull over where safe to let the convoy behind me through.

FollowupID: 819736

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 20:02

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 20:02
G'day Peter,

You'd be concerned then that a large number of councils are pushing all these vans into parks when really all they want is to free camp! There would be a lot more space near the amenity block if this wasn't the case.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 819762

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:19

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 21:19
Remember folks...the cold weather has set in...the school holidays will soon be over...so the turtle migration season will hit full swing. ( slow and carrying their homes on their backs).

I have done a couple of short highway trips in the last few days and the advance party is well and truly on the road for the northern migration.

If you are traveling north next week..get on the road real early.

cheers
AnswerID: 535716

Follow Up By: snow - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:05
Ain't that the truth though!
FollowupID: 819686

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 22:52

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2014 at 22:52
Are you saying I should wash my caravan when in the outback Peter F9?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535719

Follow Up By: Harry C - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:18

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:18
A lot of grey nomads have worked for many years to raise a family and had little money to spare to be dashing all over the country to try and cover long distances in as little time as possible. If by retirement they have finally saved enough to travel this country in their caravans, as long as they are considerate of other road users, what sort of rig they do that in is nobody else's concern.

Harry.
The windscreen is a travelling picture show

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 819632

Follow Up By: Member - Brian P (SA) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:25

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:25
I'm jealous of all these Grey Nomads out on the roads.
But that's only because I have not bit the bullet and retired yet.
See you soon. You lucky buggers.
FollowupID: 819707

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 08:20

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 08:20
That's another thing I notice.
A high proportion of GNs seem to be obsessed with washing their car and van regardless of whether they are dirty. Step ladders come out and there they are every day washing.

I guess the behemoths and white 200 cruisers are worth lots of money, but I commented to my wife while at AFAIR Cable Beach, as we walked past half a dozen washing away.
GNs must be the most car proud of any sector of the community.

The 90/110 comment struck a chord with me. Although I don't generally have any problem, I came across a few of these between Brisbane and Sydney ., southbound. And it is really annoying , but not restricted to GNs at all.
I once was business traveling in NSW with a guy who told me he varied his speed all the time to just cure the boredom. I almost jumped across the seat to throttle him.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 535723

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 16:36

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 16:36
When & where they wash their cars & vans is surely their business!

FollowupID: 819656

Follow Up By: SDG - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:49

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:49
I'm washing mine every couple of days. Vacuum as well.
Damn. Even while driving I have been known to dust the dash in front of me
FollowupID: 819739

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:58

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:58
Like the B Double driver in Outback Truckers was!
Nice to know that they are concentrating on driving.

FollowupID: 819741

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:20

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:20
Peter

Thanks for a good laugh (gluten free toasters!)

All I can say, (and what little hair there is is very grey) is "stop the flow of bitumen".

Bob
AnswerID: 535724

Reply By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:31

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:31
I drive an F350 towing a 32' van complete with 3 bedrooms a bathroom and ensuite.
This behemoth cruises at 120kph and it really gives the gripes when some stupid non grey nomad in a 4WD and swag sits on 100kph slowing me down.
Get the hell out of my way or else.
And yes, I know that speed is illegal in most states, but the best fuel economy is at that speed and what I pay in speeding fines is less than the price of fuel I save.
I use an international driving license and the police generally don't waste their time in tickets, so it's rare occasion when I can't avoid the fine.
If someone is driving slower than me, I just wait for a wide verge and pass on the left side, the stones being flung through their windscreen should educate them into letting others pass in the future.
As for parking the van near the toilet block, the smell from that is better than the black exhaust stink from all the Landcruisers and Patrols doddering along at 100kph, so it's a refreshing change of odour.
If you want to get somewhere faster than me, take a plane or charter a helicopter, don't whine about my choice of speed.
As far as cooking Gluten free bread, I found most places will deep fry it for me, so a dedicated GR toaster isn't required.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535725

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 10:04

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 10:04
Sorry but you will still need a separate deep fryer for the GF bread as there may be gluten suspended in the oil!
FollowupID: 819637

Reply By: NTVRX - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:56

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 12:56
I never went away on holiday during the school holidays.... screaming & yelling & they were the parents!!!! I decided to go away after or between school holidays....bloody screaming & yelling They were the grey nomads without hearing aids or they had turned them off or down!! My "pet hate" people towing off road camper trailer or small caravans with a Commodore or Falcon. They could travel at the posted speed limit but NO I am doing 80 because I save fuel even though their vehicle could tow the trailer/van at 100. Did someone just yell....INCOMING!!!
AnswerID: 535732

Reply By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 16:40

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 16:40
Well we left Alice this morning with our mobile armchair behind and traveled up to Tennant creek. At the scary speed of 90kph I held up nobody for more than a few hundred metres. What did really irk me was I had to pass 2 camper trailers traveling slower than myself, bugger I had to think a bit, but with skill and precision I was able to accomplish this. Bloody inconsiderate camper trailers, one even had the hide to talk to me on the uhf and ask for fuel prices around Tennant Creek. I also passed 3 cars who must have been smoking Hooter by the speed they were traveling at.

In the whole 515 Kilometre trip about 15 vehicles passed me and of those 3 passed me twice, an NT copper in a paddy wagon passed me 3 times and he even waved each time (hope he wasn't cross with me). I find it funny most of this section is unlimited speed and here is me at a piddly 90kph virtually not being passed by anyone.

The biggest inconvenience was the missus wanting to use our gold-plated loo. I know what I am going to do is HATE her. Trouble is I can't hate anyone, unless they do something really really bad to me or my family.

AnswerID: 535741

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 18:15

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 18:15
I knew it was a wind up when I saw mention of the nomads buying burgers and steak sangas at the roadhouse ---
everyone knows they pull up in the best shady spot out the front, top up with jerry cans filled at the last major centre that will get them too the next, then come into the road house, use the dunnys and grab things like salt and pepper sachets which they take to the van and make up sangas using the bread and cold meat bought from the last centre and wash it down with a latte from the in van latte machine before carrying on to just short of the next major centre where they cram in vans touching each other in the closest overnight stopping bay they can find and complain about the high costs of the roadhouse and how crowded the caravan parks are
AnswerID: 535747

Follow Up By: dazza62 - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 09:15

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 09:15
They only do it that way because the outback Roadhouse Owner doesn't give a Seniors Card discount.
FollowupID: 819699

Reply By: Sandman - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:03

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:03
I live in Alice and its entertaining watching these 3 bedroom houses make their way through town trying to find a parking spot...Wife and I bush camp with a swag and billy....and go where only the locals know :-)
AnswerID: 535750

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:27

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:27
Must be why the fences are so high to keep the evil grey people out. Ha. Ha
FollowupID: 819669

Follow Up By: Sandman - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:35

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:35
Slow One

When we moved to Alice nearly 6 years ago we had grandiose ideas of getting a BIG van...My wife and I still work for a living so we're not truly in that "grey Nomad" era we are getting closer...

Because we have this in our backyard we truly dont need much more than a swag and a Billy. We do enjoy tourist season a lot in Alice, while I joke about parking it brings a lot of money into the town. Most folks we've met and chatted to in town have realistic expectations and soak up the awesome weather......

I dont do more than 100km/hr in my Prado, if folks want to go past then go for it..If a road train comes up from the rear I pull over and let him past, I'm in no hurry, I live in the best place in Australia and I want to stay alive to enjoy it :-)

Though in saying that, we now spend 80+% off the blacktop, best place to be
FollowupID: 819671

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:45
Sandman, big tick to you, great attitude and if all did this there would be no problem.

Their is a small hilly section on the Barkley before the Barkley homestead and I had a road train come up on me. Radio conversation was. I will match your speed until you want to overtake, when you get out there I will ease. I didn't have to lift my speed much and when he passed it was very safe for both of us.

All I got was a big thank you on the uhf.
FollowupID: 819673

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:56

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 19:56
I can't believe the judgemental, holier than thou attitude of a lot of the posters in this thread.
Some of the people that you are so much smarter than have most likely worked hard all their lived & paid taxes that have been paying your dole & "disability" pensions.
Others may not even own houses & their vans are their only home because their bloodsucking kids have drained all their resources.
Maybe when you fly past them with your 6" lift & illegal wheels they probably just think, there goes another bogan!
AnswerID: 535755

Follow Up By: LJME & LMG - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:06

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:06
And the keyword here is "maybe"... Yet another generalisation?!!
FollowupID: 819678

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:58

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 21:58
The whole thread is a "generalisation" !
FollowupID: 819685

Follow Up By: LJME & LMG - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:13

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:13
Mmmm, but it was initiated tongue in cheek - and I must say I found it hilarious!
FollowupID: 819689

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 23:24

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 23:24
Until you see the under current of redneck intolerance!
FollowupID: 819696

Reply By: Curlynan - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:16

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2014 at 22:16
Peter.
Obviously you are a Truckie on your four week annual leave.
We are under 60 and when we hit the road for months at a time and we tow our 25' caravan. It's great mate. Plenty of room, has a queen size bed and shower, loo and many other comforts of home. That's why we have it because we are away for lengthy periods.
We know that fuel is costly in many spots and therefore we sit on 80kmph to save a little fuel consumption and carry 40ltrs on top of our 2 fuel tanks in the Landcruiser, and yes it's WHITE. Travelling at 80kmph also helps to see the sights for a little longer along the way.
We are not in a hurry to get freight from A to B or seeing Uluru and Kings Canyon in 7 days. The road is for all of us and you have to put up with what is happening when you are on it. Don't do the inland H'way from Pt Hedland to Perth mate because you are constantly held up or stopped to make way for the HUGE rigs going to and from the mines. Took us 7 days. Loved it!
Don't get me wrong we do leave the bitumen and store the van when ever we want to explore a little deeper and that's when we get out the Tent.
Nothing wrong with big vans my friend, it's the individual driver that is the problem. There are heaps towing small vans or heck even driving B-Double's out there that shouldn't be on the road because they are reckless, impatient or just plain bad drivers.
I suggest you take a trip to the USA. We were there for 3 mths last year and the amount of lengthy 5th wheelers we saw on the road over there was staggering. Made our 25' van look like a matchbox. As time goes by you will probably find there will be way more of them on our roads that there are at the moment.
Anyway we all have our own opinions on vans, campers, tents, RV's etc etc. We should celebrate variety and the fact that we are able to travel this great country of ours in any way we choose.
Hopefully your next trip will be less stressful putting up with the "NOMADS" :)

AnswerID: 535758

Follow Up By: Peter F9 - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 15:20

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 15:20
No Curlynan I'm not a Truckie. And I'm sorry to all the Truckies out there who are coping stick because of this thread.
FollowupID: 819730

Reply By: Member - Sanantone - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 08:55

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 08:55
Never thought of myself as a GN, but it seems I have just joined, got my van & wheels & just come back from my first trip & yes I washed both when I got home. Both units cost me a lot of money & I see nothing wrong with looking after them.

I don't have a big van (18'), it weighs around 2 tonne, it is my first big unit though, I have got to say that those little caravan wobbles, going down a hill or when B-doubles go hurtling pass can be daunting, on some roads me & the car were comfortable at 90kph, but on the freeways I noted I was doing the speed limit (110), maybe still getting used to it, I guess this thread is TinC, but TBH, I will travel at the speed that I feel comfortable with or the car dictates at the time.

Some of you must give the "P" platers hell:)

Next year, I will be joining the travelling show around aus & were certainly looking for some comforts, a bed, a toilet, smll kitchen, fridge & the ability to free camp in the van, you don't want them then fine, but me & the wife do.

Oh BTW, I have budgeted about $40k for the trip, so I will be doing my bit for the economy.

Cheers
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535768

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:15

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:15
I think a lot of people have gotten the wrong message here, I don't think anyone expects people to drive at a speed they are
uncomfortable or feel unsafe with.
If you are travelling under the speed limit just be aware that traffic will build up behind you so leave room for them to overtake and don't speed up when you reach overtaking lanes.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819702

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:03

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:03
Good Point Dave.
The best wisdom I can add to this thread is for people to check their stress levels while driving.

If you are feeling stressed or anxious or experiencing any degree of fear then something is obviously causing that.
I dont want to oversimplify but some people feel it is normal to drive "tense".

It helps to have a framework as a guide - Look at driving as 2 distinct activities when you get behind the wheel.
I.E. Work or Pleasure.

If for any reason you are in a hurry or on a schedule - treat it as work cause it is work!
Most times work where you are heading anyway when you "have" to be somewhere on time. Deal with the implications. eg stress and whatever risks are associated.

When you don't "have" to be somewhere let it be pleasure.

To most of you I am stating the bleeding obvious but if you are driving on a non Urban road and have a bunch of cars behind you - when possible, let them past. You can then relax and drive at your own pace.

Similarly if you are in a column of traffic that is bunching up and cars are edging for overtaking opportunities - back off a bit - stop for a break, get out of the melee or whatever. Let them have the road they so desperately are fighting for.
They are "working"! You can step back and relax.
(I have seen so many near misses and bad decisions made in these mad scrambles to get to the front of the column of vehicles - I just keep out of it).

I reckon when many people go on holidays they stay in "work" mode longer than they need to.

Kerry W (Qld)
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819704

Reply By: Top End Az - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:52

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:52
Good thread. Havent seen to many threads with over 100 replies.
Maybe the next thread could be on which state has the worst drivers ......
AnswerID: 535781

Reply By: doug v - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:44

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 17:44
just got home from town for a few farm parts, my líl Suzuki soft top would not get over 80kph flat strap against a howling headwind (not towing) . backed off to 75kph to make it easier on motor , was on a very buisy hwy with miners and travellers going to and fro, held no one up anyone who wanted to pass could- no one stressed. everyone to his own speed (legaly) and own towrig I say.
AnswerID: 535813

Reply By: sastra - Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 20:45

Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 20:45
Peter, ( PITA )

Australia is such a huge country there's plenty of room for people who wish to enjoy the space and take time to appreciate our great country. No need to rush,chill.

PITA, You sound like a very caring ,sharing sort of person why don't you puk off to Bali and join other bogans of your ilk and have a great time!
AnswerID: 535832

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:18

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:18
Rangiephil replied:

"While I don' t have too many problems with them on the road, I still wonder WHY they have to have a minimum 18 foot and typically 21foot van"

Probably the same reason many young people with small families insist they need a McMansion with 4 bedrooms, study, 3 bathrooms, theatre room, rumpus room, 3 TV's, 4WD to take the kids to school etc.

We have a 23 footer - cos we can and I do empty the loo
AnswerID: 535863

Reply By: Tony H15 - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 13:38

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 13:38
I don’t know why everybody is getting so anti about their little pet hates. I can picture some of the whingers here, sitting in their cars, banging on the steering wheel, yelling obscenities at everyone, so stressed out they’re ready to pop a valve.. Comical if it so disturbing.

Motorists who speed up once they get to a passing lane or sit 20kph under the limit, and other such annoyances that have been mentioned are a rarity. Far more prevalent are farmers driving their tractors from paddock to paddock, tractors/utes towing mobile silos, low loaders moving houses – big deal – it doesn’t happen that often.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the ‘City Truckies’. Quite often you see someone sitting on 60/80 in a 60/80 zone with some idiot in a fully laden heavy or semi only metres off their bumper. Then you get the ones stuck halfway across a traffic lighted intersection and others that insist on parking their trucks across your driveway or those that stop in the middle of the road while they unload – now that is what you call inconsiderate.
AnswerID: 535879

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 17:22

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 17:22
Nearly had a "Mad Max" moment between Nyngan & Cobar in the mid seventies, There I was minding my own business driving my V8 XA Fairmont at 120mph & was about to pass an old Cockie driving a series Land Rover at approx. 30mph when he crossed onto the right side of the road to miss a dead Roo...

Ended up with two very black lines on the road behind him as I tried to not run over him, a very confused Cockie as well as a couple of sets of dirty underwear!

FollowupID: 819848

Reply By: George_M - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 15:37

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 15:37
Yes, they are a pain in the butt:-)
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535895

Reply By: Member - G.T. - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:35

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:35
The last sentence from the O.P. tells me that this is a Troll, and a lot of people have fallen for it. I have been a Grey Nomad for the last year, I cannot help smiling as the O.P. has hoped for! Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 536077

Sponsored Links