Advise on 4wd possibilities around Cairns

Submitted: Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 02:37
ThreadID: 108817 Views:1650 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I'm planning a trip up the eastcoast from Sydney upto Cairns. I woud like to finish my trip with two weeks of 4wd offroad driving & camping, starting from Cairns end of januari 2015. I understand this is in the wet season so I wonder if this is feasable? I'm not looking for extreme difficult tracks. Another option I'm considering is to fly from Cairns to Alice Springs and hire a 4wd bush camper from there.
Any advise is welcome.
Thanks,
Randall
The Netherlands
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 05:45

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 05:45
It all depends on what sort of wet season we are having. If bugger all rain then the back way to Cooktown. Head up to the Daintree. You will need to be aware that flash flooding can occur during the wet. Hot and humid too....many southerners hate it here at this time. Some locals too. Me..I love it! Personally I would be sticking to the bitumen roads and let the current weather conditions dictate if I should venture off 4 wheel driving. Also I see you are a Dutchman planning a holiday in the region. Taking this into account.....Save your money and do it in the dry season. We get many tourists who think they are well prepared to tackle the off road scene, only to come to grief and require rescuing. The wet season is a trying time .
AnswerID: 536353

Follow Up By: Bludge - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 15:43

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 15:43
Dutchman like Bigfish said
x2
FollowupID: 820456

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 07:08

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 07:08
Randall

IF you decide not to do Cairns and you want two weeks 4WD, contemplate flying from Cairns to Melbourne and hiring your 4WD and head to the Vic high country.
The Vic high country is many peoples favourite 4WD holiday.
Around Alice it will be relentlessly hot, flies will be thick, there are few indoor retreats from the heat and you will still need to spend a lot of time driving. I love the Alice Springs region, I've just returned from my fourth trip there in the last decade, but at that time of the year, there are better options.

Mark
AnswerID: 536355

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 19:45

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 19:45
Just go to one of the local 4wd stores and ask at the time when you are there. They may even know if a local club are having an outing etc also buy a local 4wd guide book there are plenty of local tracks that are food for short trips

Ask the locals always they are the experts in their area

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 536435

Sponsored Links