Creb Track OPENED

Well who said "The Creb Track" was closed??? Well after 3 days and 1 late night of chain sawing, bent trailer axle, broken spring, dented rear 1/4 panel and door, snapped sway bar, ripped of roof rack, dented fuel tank and plenty of "wait a whiles in bedded under the skin" we finally made China Camp. Still a few trees down that we managed to drive over or around however its open. Best of luck to the next guys to take it on!
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 22:20

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 22:20
Yep ......... adventuring can get a tad expensive.
AnswerID: 536393

Reply By: Bludge - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 22:25

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 22:25
Michael, Douglas Shire still has Creb Track Closed I understand your sense of adventure, but weight that against the damage and the possibility that this track may get gated. Please understand that they do this for public liability reasons, but should something go badly wrong, some poor bugger has got to risk themselves to get in there to get people out.
AnswerID: 536394

Follow Up By: Michael F14 - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 23:00

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 23:00
That it does and speaking with employee's from the council they have no intentions to open the track back up soon crippling those businesses that rely on it being open (Camp China). They have to tender out the job of clearing the track which will take time therefore business will suffer. We took extreme caution when we went into the track walking it first and clearing the way before driving through.
FollowupID: 820486

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 06:14

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 06:14
Unless there was a sign saying road closed then I reckon you have done well. Lets hope that there are no over zealous little desk sitters in the council who think you have committed a crime against humanity and wants the road closed until he is ready for it to be opened.

One option could be a CREB TRACK CLEARING TRIP. Possibly organised thru a 4wd club and liaised with Douglas Shire. Would be a great few days away and doing a great service as well. Council could chuck in money for fuel and some camping fees. Instead of a large tender cost a club would be able to do the job. Plus the club would have insurance. Maybe even a sponsor could help out. Only a suggestion but one that I think could, if approached with common sense, could work
FollowupID: 820487

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:49

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:49
Bludge,
This track is gated North & South. We were heading for the Cape and knew it was closed due to rain when we drove north. I found it difficult to get a definite 'yes it is open' ie both gates unlocked, from the authorities when we were heading south. We eventually got the go ahead, (this was a few years ago). It has a seriously large gate on the Wujal Wujal end.
A great drive.

Cheers,

Bill

FollowupID: 820492

Follow Up By: Bludge - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:58

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:58
Thanks for the sucession of replies.

Michael F14,
From your post, you know the track is closed but you want it open for commercial reasons, I can understand that. Thanks for clarifying that you were carefull, walking then clearing the track. If the tender is taken up, the track will be closed until they finish the work.

Bigfish,
The signs are slide in one and I had been informed that they indicated they were closed. I do agree that Cairns 4WD Club and The Landrover Club could do something to help clear the track, but I doubt that Douglas Shire will cover the liability unless everyone has a ticket and WHS /Workcover. (I have been there, a few times)

B1B2, its rare that the gates are physically closed on either end (yet) when the signs say closed.

Chris, nobody is talking about putting a grader through the Creb.

Michael,
In general on 'closed' roads, insurance is normally void if travelled, people (especilly none locals) not as experienced or prepared as you may get into strife.

As Roothy say's
FollowupID: 820499

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 00:09

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 00:09
Michael if you're just an average joe out for a bit of adventure and helped clear some track along the way then good on ya because that's what it's all about. It really adds to the adventure getting the chain saw or axe out and it makes you feel proud of what you've done when you get to the end of the trail it would have been a good trip to have been on. Thanks
AnswerID: 536398

Follow Up By: Michael F14 - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 19:14

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 19:14
You hit the nail on the head! We werent travelling 3000klms not to do "The Creb". There isnt a local in town either side that isnt happy. Spoke with the local council guys this morning and also his boss from Cairns and they were more than happy that we cleared especially seeing how prepared we were. I understand Insurance is void on this track but Im a person who takes total responsibility for my actions!
FollowupID: 820514

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 21:21

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 21:21
Not too sure who you talked to as the track is in Douglas Regional Shire which is administered from Mossman NOT Cairns
FollowupID: 820533

Reply By: Chris (Qld) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:39

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:39
Good for you Michael,
The Creb should be a bit of an adventure, not some graded near highway quality road, like has happened to most iconic tracks.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 536404

Reply By: BunderDog - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 13:47

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 13:47
Just my opinion probably not shared by many but I think you should be prosecuted.
AnswerID: 536417

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 17:06

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 17:06
I reckon you should/would need a lot more info before making a statement like that.

Your not cambell newman are you?...............
FollowupID: 820509

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 18:01

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 18:01
It is published that the CREB Track is CLOSED

"The CREB Track is closed until further notice due to significant damage caused during Cyclone Ita and the wet season.

There are many trees fallen across the track and significant damage to large sections of the road which were washed away.

Council is in the process of conducting a full assessment of the damage and will notify the public of how long the CREB Track is expected be closed for repairs as soon as possible."
FollowupID: 820511

Follow Up By: Matthew T5 - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 20:24

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 20:24
How does the council conduct a full assessment of the track when they told us they had not walked the whole track and had no intentions of walking it?
FollowupID: 820520

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 14:23

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 14:23
What prosecuted just because it's the Creb Track what's so special about it and if you're going to prosecute for one you should do every track in Aus dry or wet because you can cause extensive damage in the dry as well with rubber tyres a cyclone or torrential downpour is nothing compared to a rubber tyre so lets fence the whole lot off. Seriously what's the world coming to you might as well go back the history and prosecute the pioneers that had the hide to drive in wet conditions and help open up the country shame on them.
FollowupID: 820662

Reply By: Tony F8 - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 20:29

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 20:29
I have to agree with bunderdog, I fully appreciate the sense of adventure in doing something as you did. But as stated about the over zealous desk jockey, this is the day and age we live in, unfortunately I would hate this track being closed for the reasons of people simply doing as they please. The commercial aspect for china camp is only one of similar thousands of hurdles small business has to contend with, and I'm sure the owners of china camp would not want bureaucracy closing the track. Only having read your thread, and not knowing anymore about you, I can only assume that you carry the necessary first aid, training and adequate comms to avoid an expensive SAR.
TonyF8.
AnswerID: 536437

Follow Up By: Tony F8 - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 20:43

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 20:43
Ps, Meant to read, I have to agree with bunderdog and bludge.
FollowupID: 820523

Reply By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 06:45

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 06:45
If the road closed was in place then I am afraid that I agree with a couple of others....you really had no business being on the track. I,ve seen enough bloody stupid overseas tourists in 4wd totally ignoring , as well as removing signs out of the way, just so they could explore..Locals really should know better.
AnswerID: 536449

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 08:27

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 08:27
This is the law...........................

"The restriction is that the road is temporarily closed. Unless the driver has been granted written approval (under exceptional circumstances) to drive past this sign, it cannot be passed.

Penalties apply."
FollowupID: 820552

Reply By: Chris_K - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 20:47
Yep - if the track is "closed" then it's closed...for whatever the reason. If it all went pear shaped here is how the Cairns Post would have the headline:

"Man Rescued By Chopper After Rollover on Closed Track"

Followed by a headline a day or two later:

"Paraplegic Man Sues Council for $2,000,000 For Not Installing Concrete Bollards, Razor Wire and Electric Fences to Prevent Access". Hmmm.
AnswerID: 536491

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 14:25

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 14:25
What a wank
FollowupID: 820663

Reply By: BunderDog - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 21:14
Douglas Regional Council are NOT amused.
AnswerID: 536494

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 21:29

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 21:29
200 Penalty Points is a $22,000 fine in Qld
FollowupID: 820608

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 06:01

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 06:01
Much to their disappointment councils and state govt haven't quite got control of our every move. More often than not, waiting for council to action something is akin to watching paint dry....Not too many people who haven't got a tale of woe from a council interaction....
FollowupID: 820627

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 07:49

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 07:49
Council should wake up and make it a toll track as is. Charge money, do no maintenance and sign a waiver insurance wise. It would probably become iconic and more popular than ever. Employment opportunities there for recovery vehicles and panel beater / mechanics. Ambulance or helicopter rescues charged at the appropriate rate. What's the problem? Mandatory "Not for sissies" sign at each end.
AnswerID: 536505

Follow Up By: Bludge - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 09:33

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 09:33
Mikehzz

The last thing this or any track needs is a toll, if you pay for something there are expectation and liability, insurance etc...... If the council charge a toll, by the council charter (that is all councils) states that it must be open access for all, yes all, graded access for 2 wheel drives etc. after all councils cannot exclude any party.

We constantly blame Councils, governments and anyone else when we don't get what we want, maybe it is 4WDers that should wake up, like Roothy said, if its closed respect that, you don't have to like it.
The traffic on the track would average daily 40 vehicles during the peak (I did say average).

The CREB is what it is and sometimes it is closed, sometimes it is open. That is why the CREB is left as it is, same as the OTT, Frenchman's and many more. Not maintained, they are either accessible or not.

The newly formed Douglas Shire do not have the expertise or the people to 'walk' the track.
The tree removal and track subsidence testing will be (has been) put out to tender and money claimed for the Cyclone damage.
This year with the late wet it would not have been open for inspection by the tenderer until July anyway.

Contractors to not just cut trees, but to check the track are not sitting on their bums waiting for this call, most will have other works to complete. (Try and get a builder to do a big job)

As for the businesses on each end of the track. On the north there is access to just south of Roaring Meg, from the south access to the bottom of the track 3 km over the Bloomfield. So that is Daintree Village on the South and what exactly on the north that can't be accessed via Wujal Wujal?

If local business want to entice/encourage tourist to illegally drive the track, with void insurance so they can make a dollar, so be it.

I am a local, a 4WDer who uses the CREB recreationally and in the recent past taken tours through there.

This year I have had 3 groups from NSW 4WD Clubs who would have liked to driven the CREB in the last 2 weeks and 2 more in August, to them it 'nice to do' but a minor part of travelling the Cape.
FollowupID: 820636

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 09:40

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 09:40
I pay $10 to go onto Stockton Dunes, there isn't any 2 wheel drive and it IS classed as a gazetted road. A friend nose dived off a dune and wrote off her car and her insurance paid out. There is no maintenance done to the "road" by council. The council doesn't have liability claims filed against them.
FollowupID: 820637

Follow Up By: Bludge - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:29

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:29
Many, many tracks are Gazetted, not all are looked after by council, Simpson Desert, Canning Stock Route, OTT and more.

Stockton is owned by the Worimi people not the council.

They outsource the beach to NPWS for day to day running.

The beach front only is Gazetted as an alternative road, it is also policed by Rangers and often the police, from Stockton with radar guns.
There are many restrictions as to where you can drive. North of Lavis Lane is fenced and north of Lavis Lane behind the dunes is also out of bounds. Yes you can visit Tin City but not the tank traps (anymore).

The Lavis Lane entrance and beach access was closed recently for maintenance of the access road.

Stockton beach gets closed during storms and in the last 18 months has been closed for extended periods when the frontal dunes were wiped out and water got into the swale areas behind them.

The Beach access permit with the Worimi people is different to what you proposed a "toll" with the council, councils have charters with regards to access, so a council caravan park is different to Parks bush camp.State forest or NPWS roads are different to Council roads. Trip on a council pavement and the council gets sued, dive into the water at Red Head and damage your spin, sue the council.

Stockton Beach often have dune buggy's (2 wheel drives)
FollowupID: 820647

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 14:58

Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 at 14:58
Yep the so called people who know better have certainly stuffed up Stockton beach and it's access points I left Newcastle 15 yrs ago and drove on Stockton for 12yrs when it had countless amounts of tracks going onto the beach you could even drive on from the Stockton soccer field and drive to Anna Bay. How does paying a permit help it's is a gimmick and a rip off all I can see it does is give the wrong people power to put up extra unnecessary signage, limiting the amount of access points so the traffic is concentrated to a few areas so that will get flogged out and it is more difficult to get to the beach so some will turn back the they get shut because of extensive damage eventually it will be shut to satisfy the greenies. I think the joy of going there these days would be seriously reduced compared to what it use to be. Shutting it due to storms is just another way they can limit your time there for no reason at all. Sand is constantly moving and washouts are part of it you just drive with caution it's part of learning more about how conditions can change on a beach and in sand dunes but now you have to read about it in a book and not learn by experiencing it first hand one day.
FollowupID: 820665

Follow Up By: rare - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:24

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:24
With all this chatter about the Creb. I cant determine if its offically open or closed. I hoping to traverse it on 5th October. Is it offically open or closed
?
FollowupID: 820998

Follow Up By: rare - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:43

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:43
Answered my own question.

http://douglas.qld.gov.au/road-conditions/creb-track/
FollowupID: 820999

Sponsored Links