VMS X558

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:57
ThreadID: 108837 Views:4948 Replies:2 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone have any news, comments on the VMS X558 in dash GPS.

The price is lot lower than what they were offering sometime back.
They dont list anything else for 200 series.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 12:32

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 12:32
I have one in the 79 Series and find it works well with Oziexplorer, however I have found the VMS proprietary software it comes with limiting if you are used to the Ozi.

Functionality is good for my purposes…

Cheers…
AnswerID: 536413

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 14:14

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 14:14
Hi Guys
I am also interested in getting one of these units for my 200 series - however on enquiring thru two of there preferred dealers am now a bit doubtful. The problem appears to be the radio reception for which they have no update at this time. Have also noticed that they dont take phone calls for support only emails - pity because the unit looks the goods for what I want. Others have suggested the Kenwood - dont know much about it but.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 820504

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 08:23

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 08:23
Thanks Mike and Landy
FollowupID: 820551

Follow Up By: 762 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:54

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:54
Hi Mike,

The VMS X558 unit for the 200 Series Cruiser has performed excellently in our company vehicles using aftermarket antennas. A lot of aftermarket head units do not appear to work as well as the factory install radio in certain vehicle / antenna combinations, so VMS is not alone in this issue.

We have tested an on glass type Made by Bosch and Aerpro and also a fibreglass whip style similar to a CB radio antenna on the bullbar of our 200 Series Cruisers, and have driven around metro Melbourne with no noise or fading issues.

VMS do take voice calls for support and sales enquiries, emails are prefered so we are able to issue a detailed response to the question, look forward to speaking with members soon.

Regards, VMS
FollowupID: 821141

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:20

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:20
Are VMS prepared to give a no BS written assurance as to that reply.

If so I am prepared to commit.

Regards
Richard
FollowupID: 821143

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 14:21

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 14:21
We have been using VMS in dash boxes for five years and have had excellent email and phone responses. Some going beyond what one would expect. Yes the radio is weak but that doesn't worry us as we have a walkman with thousands of songs on it hooked up to the USB port. And in any event, there isn't much radio in the deserts or high country.

The only criticism I have is the use of the micro SD cards. I have trouble with the small cards with my fat, adult male fingers. Wouldn't mind a wifi or usb connection to hook up the box to a laptop or the home computer to transfer data or update stuff in the VMS.

I am just a satisfied VMS user.
FollowupID: 821161

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 14:25

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 14:25
are you using the VMS X558 or is it the prior model that was available for the 200 series
FollowupID: 821162

Follow Up By: 762 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 14:50

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 14:50
Hi Richard,

VMS can not offer you a written assurance that the X558 is going to work satisfactorily in your particular 200 Series. All we have found at VMS with field testing is that the rear cargo glass mounted antenna does not give satisfactory performance on the AM band.

We have tested inline boosters and attenuators. The 3db attenuator cleared up the ticking issue on AM but causes the radio when travelling under freeway bridges to produce a hissing sound when listening to an AM station.

We have also tried, as stated earlier a Bosch on glass mounted antenna which consisits of 2 self adhesive metal stips about 500mm long to be placed on the windscreen horizontally and vertically from a central round hub from the top corner of the windscreen. Also we have used a 1 meter long fiberglass whip antenna mounted on the bull bar. Both these antennas have given clear static and fade free reception on our company vehicle traveling around metropolitan Melbourne.

So in a nutshell, if you have a 200 Series Cruiser with the cargo window on glass antenna, you would need to supplement this with another antenna to get noise free Am reception on the VMS X558.

And thank you Freshstart for your comments, yes sometimes those micro SD cards can be a bit of a pain, we do have a USB adaptor which you can put the micro SD into to be able to read the card on your computer. Drop us a line and we can send you one if you would like.

Regards, VMS
FollowupID: 821164

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:05

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:05
Do you fit and or supply the alternative antenna as part of the package?

or

Do you sell the unit knowing that it does not perform as a "fit for use product"?

As for your statement "you would need to supplement this with another antenna to get noise free Am reception on the VMS X558."
I say this:
If VMS sold this unit to me (and this includes your agents) without specifying in writing what is required to get the unit to work as expected for a fit for use product and then expect me fix at my cost, would land you in the small claims court!...I can ensure you of that!!!

It really irks me that companies like your selves know of these defects in the product they are selling and yet do and say nothing about it while pocketing the buyers cash!!!

You are not instilling in us as potential buyers that you have faith in your products.
FollowupID: 821166

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:17

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:17
We have a 100 series so I cannot comment on the X whatever model. I don't even know what model my sons have. One has a land rover plus a patrol, and the other son has a 100 series like ours. Just saying that the radio is not a problem to any of us and their service has been spot on.

I would drop that "fit for use" comment. I believe that you are way out of line and I will leave this thread as it's looking like it is going to the dogs.

The radio works fine in town. We don't use it in the bush. I can get stations on UHF and HF all the way between Canberra and Sydney. But I choose to listen to CD's, DVD's and the USB when on long trips. And no ads or disk jockey chatter to spoil the trip.

VMS say hi to Chris for me. We got ours from BDL in Fyshwick, Canberra.
FollowupID: 821167

Follow Up By: 762 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:23

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:23
Just to finish up on this issue, yes Richard, VMS will offer the Bosch antenna as a supplement to the X558 at no additional cost.

Thanks again, Freshstart
FollowupID: 821168

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:31

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:31
Just might be worth throwing in the mix that you cannot connect an iPod classic to the x558.

We have a Toyota 79 Series and no issues with the radio operation, but as stated previously I find the VMS offroad navigation package cumbersome to use, so I use Oziexplorer. Having said that, I have spoken on the phone to the company on numerous ocassions regarding the software and they are responsive to feedback...

I also had the screen go in the original unit (about 4 months old) and replaced within days under warranty without any hassle.

Cheers
FollowupID: 821170

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:41

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:41
"I would drop that "fit for use" comment. I believe that you are way out of line"

do you really think so..lol...Well I dont!

Freshstart, every product seller in Australia has an obligation to sell their wares which is..no... must be fit "Fit For Purpose"...that is the law.
If I am going to spend a grand on something like this that is advertised as as GPS DVD AM FM Radio etc etc I will expect it to work in accordance with what a $1000.00 product should! It is not up to the buyer to ensure it works.

VMS's reply indicated that they expect the buyer to get it working. Certainly nothing on their web site about the issue when perusing the sales literature. I put it to you and VMS that they sell and hope all is good. If it aint... well I'll leave that up to VMS to explain if they want to.

But none the less the reply from VMS earlier also indicates that they know of the problem but do not warn unsuspecting buyers ..or do they ...I will let VMS tell us the truth?

And did you just ring them ...he didnt say that above
FollowupID: 821171

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:49

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 15:49
Landy...there are other phones in the world besides Iphone's..lol

But all jokes aside one would think that it could connect to one as they are so popular?

but thats the apple/microsoft war ?

manufacturers of compatible units need to adapt and not be so darn dog headed as to which product they want their buyers to be able to connect with,...It cant be that hard to allow iphone/android and other more popular stuff
FollowupID: 821174

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 16:11

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 16:11
Howdy,

I'll let the VMS person speak to it more fully, but as I understand it is only the Apple iPod Classic that can't be plugged in, not all Apple products, and is related to the hard drive.

Thought it might be useful to know, just in case...
FollowupID: 821180

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 16:20

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 16:20
Thanks Landy

I will let the daughter know she owns a piece of obsolete apple accessory

hahaha
FollowupID: 821181

Reply By: Seastar - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 19:04

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 19:04
I had a VMS in my 2008 200 series I found the mapping unit good but everything else terrible radio ,CD,I pod. I have just bought a new 200 series and this time I have gone for the new Hema 7 for off road it also has camp7 in it. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 536432

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 08:22

Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014 at 08:22
That is not indash type.

I really wanted something in dash....

Thanks for info on it tho...it was the X558 model that you had?
FollowupID: 820550

Sponsored Links