Tassie's great weather

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 11:22
ThreadID: 10891 Views:1955 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
One day out of summer and we've already got snow on the mountains.Fridays weather was nice(sunny) Saturdays sunny until about 1600 then rained rest of day,claered up about 2300(out shooting) then woke up to snow on the Great Western Tiers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patsy - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 13:41

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 13:41
I am 25 kms south of Hobart and have just lit the woodheater. I can usually see Mt Wellington but it is covered in cloud today so don't know if there is snow on it. Certainly feels like there is. Can't wait till our mid-May - late-August holiday to the mainland to escape a Tassie winter for a change.
AnswerID: 48646

Reply By: Patsy - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:31

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:31
PS. We are not out of summer until tomorrow (not trying to be smart but just making the point that it doesn't have to be autumn, winter or spring to get snow in Tassie). I have known it to snow on Xmas Eve where we live (it didn't settle but it was definitely snowing).
AnswerID: 48667

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:17

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:17
I hiked around Cradle Mountain a number of years ago in over a ft of snow in early Dec!! Couldn't believe it.

Leroy
FollowupID: 310524

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 15:49

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 15:49
Nick
What do you recommend as the best time of year to visit your fair state?
Two of us with 4wd, camper & tinnie.
Like fish for trout and visit spots away from the crowds.
Time frame approx 3-4 weeks.

RegardsIs it tinea or has it just been too long since the last trip?
AnswerID: 48761

Follow Up By: Glenos - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:02

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:02
Hi Wim,
Feb March is what we tell all of the tourists, it is usually the finest and most stable weather, but it does get busy. Every accomodation bed was full on last Friday night.

Tassie is beautiful all year round it just depends on how much you can handle the cold. Saying that we are warmer then a lot of places in Aus.

Glenos
FollowupID: 310553

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:33

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:33
Gday Wim,i agree with Glenos,we usually do most of our camping in late Feb and March.Carnt comment on camping down south or on the West Coast as we usually camp around the Nth East- East coast area.Its nice camping around Tomahawk(caravan park) and a little further around at Musscelroe Bay(bush camping),Cape Portland also has a nice camping spot overlooking the bay(good sea fishing).Down the East coast there is (was?)good camping spots around Eddystone Point (most easterly point of Tassie).If you ever get a chance Flinders Island is a top spot but you need atleast a week to look around.
As for fishing there is good camping spots all around the Great Lake with good fishing around the shore.From here you have hundreds of lakes for trout fishing and its very nice up around the Central Highlands.
Hope you have a good trip and send us a Email if you need any more info. nicky.byard@bigpond.com.au
FollowupID: 310596

Sponsored Links