Karijini -> Mt Augustus -> Kennedy Range

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 21:54
ThreadID: 108991 Views:4552 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We are planning to visit Karijini NP and Kennedy Range NP during next September. After taking a look to the different options, we started considering including Mt Augustus NP as well and make a trip Kariji -> Mt Augustus -> Kennedy Range.

Now, few factors that could make of this a good or a bad idea. We are travelling with a rented 4x4 which seems to be perfectly equipped for off-road driving. We are not experienced 4WD drivers though. We have driven 4x4 on dirty roads and crossing very small streams but nothing very technical. We also have a 5 years old kid coming with us.

Our main concerns are around two things:

[?] Is the Tom Price -> Mt Augustus road easy enough for beginners?

[?] Is Mt Augustus or the road to Mt Augustus actually worthy? Doing the trip this way, we would be taken time out from Coral Bay, Exmouth, etc.

Our main alternative is driving down from Tom Price to Exmouth and Coral Bay, then drive down to Carnarvon and then make the trip in and out to Kenny Range NP.

We are also hesitant about the access to Karijini. We can take the shorter route from Broome to Karijini but Millstream Chichester NP seems to attract many people.

Any recommendation, advice or suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Jorge

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 01:39

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 01:39
Hi Jorge

The roads around Mt Augustus and Kennedy Range are good outback dirt and gravel roads that should present few problems for you as long as it has not been raining when they may be closed

If you are coming to Kennedy range from Carnarvon the road is sealed as far as Gascoyne Junction, leaving only a short run on dirt to the national park.

I have no experience yet of Tom Price and Karijini but this is a very popular tourist area and I would expect the roads there to be in good shape.

I hope you come and enjoy your stay in a special part of WA.

Cheers
AnswerID: 537043

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 01:57

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 01:57
All dirt roads in the area you are enquiring about are suitable for 4wd vehicles - just remember to adjust tyre pressures to suit the conditions and your speed to suit your tyre pressures....pretty simple really but a concept that appears beyond a lot of people.
Tom Price - Mt Augustus.....I presume you are talking about the Dooley Downs Rd - one of the nicest scenery roads in that part of the world and an easy drive.
Mt Augustus - worthy......beats the sh.. out of the rock in the middle. A proper walk to the top and some good walks along other places on it as well. And a great swimming hole nearby.
Karijini - if during school holidays then don't go.....if outside school holidays then good. A nice place to visit even if a bit regulated re camping. Be careful and don't get too brave - always get a few deaths each year from stupidity.
Kennedy Range - good walking on top and over the range. Good track on west side.
Coral Bay - hmmm......only if you must - depending on things the SW winds may have set in then it's not worth it.
Millstream - same as Karijini....not during school holidays.
Other stuff - make sure you have a UHF radio with you and have it on ch40.
Temps may be increasing in Sept - just be prepared for >30deg during daytime travel and walks.....and that includes making sure your vehicle is ok.
Keep an eye on the little tacker as he/she may be very adventurous and get into all sorts of "good" places.
Be aware that with warmer weather the snakes will be active - just be careful when out walking.
Make sure you have plenty of drinking water with you and that you actually drink it.
You will encounter BIG trucks moving even BIGGER machinery and stuff during your travels once you enter the Pilbara......just remember that when the Pilot says get off the road - do exactly that.....get off the road.
Other than that have a great time and enjoy the experience - this part of Aust is pretty unique and worth the time to look at as much of it as you can.
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 537044

Reply By: Member - rkc47 (Mandurah, WA) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 12:06

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 12:06
Hi Jorge, Did that trip last year. Agree with responses 1 & 2 - I'm the third response. Nothing more I can add apart to reinforce lower tyres pressures together with your speed. All the roads are outback good with no rain. Try to avoid Karijini, Coral Bay (uuuh!) & Millstream during school holidays. If doing Millstream try the riverside campsite at Crossing Pool- very scenic. Lots of roos about suggest be off the road by 4/ 4.30pm.
In addition, slow down crossing any dips/ dry creeks. Usually they have a sharp/ deeper rut in the middle that can be hard to see particularly when the sun is high. I didn't see one (translation: too much speed) & blew a camper tyre. However ..... It's a very good trip, go ahead and do it! Best wishes ........
AnswerID: 537079

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 00:29

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 00:29
Hi Jorge

Do the rental company know and authorise you to take the vehicle on those unsealed roads? Otherwise, no problems, enjoy these very different places.

If you have long enough, this Google Map Broome to Kennedy Ranges takes in the places you have mentioned, and there are different roads to get you to Mount Augustus, but Google mapping will not choose them.

There are two alternatives from Tom Price to Millstream-Chichester of taking the Wittenoom to Roebourne road as mapped, or the Rio Tinto Mining Company Road (permit required).
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537127

Reply By: shortylook - Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:56

Monday, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:56
Hi Jorje, we have been to both karajini and coral bay( coral bay 5 times love it) the inland road to karajini is all sealed except the last 40-50 Km's. We did it in our patrol and while corrugated it was time. Take warm clothes for night time and warm sleeping arrangements as it will/does get very very cold at night. The gorges are all unsealed roads but very easy driving if your being sensible. My wife drove back a couple times as I had a few beers. She is a novice 4x4 driver.
I notice a few people don't like coral bay and karajini in school holidays, but if that's the only time you can go, I say do it. We just came back from coral bay and it was out of school holidays and still packed. Very lovely spot. Karajini is spectacular with the gorges and water falls. Water was freezing when we went but scenery was just wow. There are regulations for generators and other stuff, but the shop/boing people will fill you in.
Good luck
AnswerID: 537144

Sponsored Links