Running 2 Uhfs

Ive been thinking about running 2 uhfs at the moment, for the last few months. Im Currently running a uh015SX uniden, ive got the ses programmed into it and when i make trips into new south wales i can listen to the police in some area's, Ive been thinking about putting a 80 Chan uhf in as i can have more channels to chat on. any idea's good or bad are welcome

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 23:10

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 23:10
If you looking at running two UHF's you will need good quality preferable commercial grade that offers better adjacent channel rejection.

Most cheapish UHF radios aimed at the domestic market off poor adjacent channel rejection making it hard to listen on one and talk on another especially when running 5 watts.

Don't know about the police in New South Wales but I thought they went state wide digital encryption about 7 years ago.
AnswerID: 537339

Follow Up By: Chris D81 - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 23:18

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 23:18
from when i have been in eden all the way upto batemans bay ive been able to listen to them,and around albury, around the cdb i cant pick them up, i spoke to a copper in narooma this year and he listens in when he is off duty
FollowupID: 821613

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 07:25

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 07:25
Have you considered a combination of a permanently mounted unit and a handheld?

I have an older 40 channel GME mounted in the vehicle and an 80 channel GME handheld.
Both are 5 watt units.
I can tune the vehicle unit into channel 40 (truck channel) and the handheld into whatever channel we are using for convoy use.

One word of warning. Don't try using both on the same channel at the same time, or you will get excessive feedback and distortion.

Oh, and we don't use either of them for excessive chatting.
Perhaps the convoy channel we choose gets a bit of prattle on it, but if we experience other "outsiders" using the same channel, our fellow travelers in the convoy have a fallback plan of moving channels either up or down by a predetermined amount.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537343

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:24

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:24
Ditto. I have hand held in top pocket of shirt for convoy/touring & main UHF on scan especially in the high country listening for other travellers.
FollowupID: 821620

Follow Up By: Chris D81 - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:32

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:32
I've considered a handheld one aswell, woul be handy for the truck I'm in aswell. Tho I've also thought what are the battery life is like and would I need to buy accessories for a car charger and power point
FollowupID: 821621

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 22:28

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 22:28
its fairly common for vehicles to have multiple UHF radios.

as for the effectivness and technical correctness of the installsand the effectiveness ..ahh well that is another matter.

Most tow trucks have several radios.

some tip trucks run two radios.....the local council has a CB and the council radio on UHF.

Even the police in some areas may be running multiple radios, as some carry UHF CB

As for channel seperation and actually getting full symultanious function out of both radios...well that is another story.

ALL that said, most people who run multiple radios are not looking for full symultanoius function from both radios

Most people just want to listen on multiple channels at once and rarely transmit on any more than one radio.....and often when they key up on one radio they turn the other down or off.

Have you thaought about a scanner or communications reciever.

Get the right one and it will let you recieve all your Cb channels and other UHF commercial...but will also let you recieve a hell of a lot of other usefull stuff to..like weather reports off airband and marine bands, short wave radio and may be even HF.

cheers
AnswerID: 537405

Reply By: Member - powernut (AFL Power) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 20:24

Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 20:24
A good reason to run two radios is using one to monitor on coming traffic when crossing dunes in the Canning and the Simpson, and one for chat amongst your group.

Alternatively your leader monitors the main channel (40) and the chatting occurs down one or two channels. Just so long as some one up front is switched on to what is happening in relation to oncoming traffic.
I am an apprentice retire. Its looking like my most successful career to date.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537452

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 20:49

Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 20:49
better still to run 1 unit on scan picking up all channels except that which is being used as your convoy channel on your second unit.
while there are dedicated channels for some roads ie ch 10 for simpsom desert you are more likely to pick up another groups on their chat or convoy channel as most conversation isnt done on the Track channel. you however get the benefit of hearing calls made on any channel including the track channel.
by not scanning your own convoy channel you avoid the feedback issue.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 821707

Sponsored Links